• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Very dramatic situation goes down in a courtroom in Battle Creek, MI. The judge just finishes reading a guilty verdict to a defendant on trial for murder. The accused is a big, strong man. He suddenly punches the sheriff's deputy and goes for his gun and clearly gains the advantage on the officer as he tries to wrest the officer's gun from its holster. Looks like the only thing that prevented it was the retention feature on the holster. It took several officers to wrestle the guy down, and it took them some time to get him down. Can't tell if the holster is Blackhawk or a Safariland, but maybe someone can chime in on that. Looks like it may very well have saved multiple lives that day.

The same video is on Youtube, but the Liveleak version is better as far as the view of the guys hand on the holster.

LiveLeak.com - Perp Tries to Take Gun From Court Bailiff After Murder Conviction

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I forgot to mention that my wife first saw this video on TV a couple weeks ago and then told me about it. Our wedding anniversary was Saturday and she was so impressed by the video that she wants to buy me one of these holsters for an anniversary gift. So if anyone can ID the brand that would be cool! :)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I forgot to mention that my wife first saw this video on TV a couple weeks ago and then told me about it. Our wedding anniversary was Saturday and she was so impressed by the video that she wants to buy me one of these holsters for an anniversary gift. So if anyone can ID the brand that would be cool! :)

Hard to tell what make/model that holster is.

Unless you wear a "Sam Brown" belt, you probably want something more geared toward carry by private citizens. In my opinion, the best holsters on the market with active retention features are the Safariland ALS holsters. You can get them with either a belt loop or paddle.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Hard to tell what make/model that holster is.

Unless you wear a "Sam Brown" belt, you probably want something more geared toward carry by private citizens. In my opinion, the best holsters on the market with active retention features are the Safariland ALS holsters. You can get them with either a belt loop or paddle.

Thanks Rhino. I had planned to pick up an ALS about a year ago, but then opted for a leather holster instead with a thumb break. But since the wife wants to buy one for me, will go ahead and try it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks Rhino. I had planned to pick up an ALS about a year ago, but then opted for a leather holster instead with a thumb break. But since the wife wants to buy one for me, will go ahead and try it.

The ALS system is light-years ahead of an old fashioned thumb break. It's simple to see a thumb break and how to defeat it. In fact, some will open when you just pull the gun hard enough after the snap is well worn. The ALS system isn't going to release the gun until you move the lever, and it's difficult for another person to see much less access the lever unless 1) they know it's there, and 2) they know how it works. The belt loop or paddle are likely to fail before the ALS lock, which is not good, but at least an effectively inert weapon is yielded under those circumstances.

The ALS is also really fast and intuitive to release on the draw.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    what caused FOBUS to lose popularity? Just curious, I have a Blackhawk for my Ruger 9E I use these days.

They break easy, or at least have the reputation of breaking easy, compared to other similar holsters. The generally agreed upon "best practice" for defeating a gun grab is keeping downward force on the gun and keeping it in the holster. The Fobus holsters don't take as much force to shear the holster off the attachment mechanism as some of the more expensive models. When you're shoving on the gun and the suspect is shoving on the gun, forces can get pretty high pretty quick. There are some high end holsters that are over engineered to the point your belt will break before the holster attachment does, but they are bulky and not well suited for carry other than on a duty belt.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    where in the sam hell are his cuffs, in the first scene ????? incompetence or what ?????? I like serpa but gonna try ALS soon

You don't spend much time in a courtroom, I see. Having him in handcuffs is deemed prejudicial. If it was a jury trial he wouldn't even be in the orange jumpsuit.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You don't spend much time in a courtroom, I see. Having him in handcuffs is deemed prejudicial. If it was a jury trial he wouldn't even be in the orange jumpsuit.

Correct. But prejudice isn't so much an issue in front of a judge. Generally, when we are talking trial issues, if they haven't done something to make themselves look violent, they won't be restrained in a courtroom other than for initial hearings.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Correct. But prejudice isn't so much an issue in front of a judge. Generally, when we are talking trial issues, if they haven't done something to make themselves look violent, they won't be restrained in a courtroom other than for initial hearings.

This varies alot from jurisdiction to jurisdiction IME. In mine, they are generally in arm and leg shackles unless it is a jury trial or depending on the judge during the body of a bench trial.

As to the holster, it looks like a safariland of some sort, probably an ALS/SLS, although from what I can see it could be a simple thumbreak. I would say definitely not a Blackhawk and probably not a Bianchi

Last edited:

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    My 92 FS has been in a Serpa for a few years now. I don't open carry, it is my home defense gun and wear the Serpa at the range. Great holster with no issues for me.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

Keep in mind, there are different lines of ALS holsters. There is a much lighter CCW or "sporter" version which comes with a paddle as well as a belt slide IIRC, as well as a variety of much heavier level 2 or 3 duty holsters which are very pricy.

Top Bottom