• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doctanixta

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    I have "the wants" for a Springfield 1911 micro-compact. I have a full-sized that I'm in love with, but it's really a house gun because it's too heavy to carry all the time. Someone told me the micro will flash really bright in low light conditions. Is that true? What are the other draw backs of a micro .45? Will it kick wildly compared to the full sized? Is it a waste of money?

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    I have "the wants" for a Springfield 1911 micro-compact. I have a full-sized that I'm in love with, but it's really a house gun because it's too heavy to carry all the time. Someone told me the micro will flash really bright in low light conditions. Is that true? What are the other draw backs of a micro .45? Will it kick wildly compared to the full sized? Is it a waste of money?

I have NO issues with my Colt Defender .45ACP. Small, light, accurate, comfortable and reliable as all get out.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I don't find my full sized to be too heavy. It's definitely not a house gun, I carry it with me all the time. I prefer the full size but having said that, my buddy has a Colt Defender and as Manan said in the prior post, he's had no problems shooting or carrying it. For me, eh, didn't care much for the smaller model.

I'd suggest going to a gun shop with a range and testing them out. You didn't list where you live but Pop Guns in Indianapolis has an indoor range and you can rent firearms. Try it and see what you think and then you can make an informed decision.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Is there a better reason than that?

Well I guess one could argue that the smaller pistol would have less accuracy do to the shorter barrel, also the gun itself might be harder for some people to control in terms of recoil because of the gun's smaller size. Then again it's all personal preference on what you feel comfortable with.

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    I had a Colt officers, it ran fine. I don't go under commander size (4.25 barrel) anymore. I'm just not as trusting as I used to be. The 3inch guns eat recoil springs for breakfast. Some of them need to be changed under a thousand round count. Your mags and springs need to be up to snuff at all times. Due to the super fast cycling of the slide, you can get failures to feed if the mag spring doesn't push up fast enough.

I wouldn't say don't buy one. Just know what you are getting into. Most of 1911 reliability problem stories have come from the 3 inchers.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I really like the Government sized 1911. But personally my favorite out of all the different 1911 sizes out there, it would have to be the Commander size.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I have 4 1911's & they all are full size models & I carry them . The shorter the barrel ,the fiercer the recoil also mentioned are recoil springs & accelerated wear . I have read there are some other problems with reliability but to mostly due to pre-breaking in the pistol. The commander sized 1911 is nicer for carry & gives you more magazine options as well.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There was a very good discussion on another board about the compromises made in a shortened 1911. It was mainly in slide timing and recoil spring life. Recoil springs need changed in a shorter 1911 much earlier than in a full size. For instance, my RIA Compact has a single recoil spring that needs changed every 400 rounds. My full size Springfield gets new springs between 3000 and 5000 rounds. My Kimber Ultra Carry has nested recoil springs and can go 1500 rounds between spring changes.

The RIA spring I'm using right now is a Wilson Combat 24# and cost about $8, so the short spring life is not a problem cost wise. I did start getting FTF with the original spring at around the 500 round mark, which went away with the spring change.

Also, compact 1911s are said to be more sensitive to tired magazines. I think that's part of the slide timing issues. I've been trying to find the original thread, but am having no luck yet.

Dough Boy 1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Hammond, IN
    I generally carry my commander size Colt, but I do have a Springfield ultra compact that I carry and shoot on occasion. I've only put about 300 rounds down the pipe but I've never had any issues with it.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I carry a 4" 1911, and it is my favorite size to shoot. I have a 3" Springfield Micro-Compact. It's heavy for a carry gun. It's not a lot of fun to shoot. Recoil. Loud. And I can't hit with a darn with the thing. Some have questionable quality, although I haven't had any issues with mine.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I, too, have a Springfield Ultra Compact. Zero reliability issues. I was shooting a young man's full size 1911 the other day, and did notice the longer cycle time on it. I haven't had any slide problems, though, and have almost 600 rounds through my Springfield. Shoots smooth, hits the target, and relatively small. all thumbs up.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Kimber Ultra Raptor II. I shoot 185 gr. Golden Sabers, and it works fine, shoots well, and recoil/muzzle flash hasn't been an issue. No problems with 230 grain FMJ practice ammo, either.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    For a carry gun in the summer I use a Kimber Ultra CDP II. In the winter months I carry an Ed Brown commander size. For range I prefer my full size Baer TRS or Colt Special Combat in government size. I shoot all 3 sizes almost weekly with no issues. The Ultra is more of a challange hitting a 6" plate at 50 yards but for a carry gun it's hard to beat. You also get a little more recoil from the shorter gun but nothing you can't control. It all just depends on what you are looking for.

mrmarky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Brazil Indiana
    Sold my micro springfield and got a pt1911 best thing I ever did. Shoots a lot more accuratly. and isn't the whole point to accually HIT what your shooting at. I like it a whole lot better. and besides even the micro was a little large for c/c I carry a lcp now in pocket.

Top Bottom