• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    This was a 1/2" corded drill. No batteries. Battery power drills won't mix a full bucket of concrete. Well, they might, but they won't do it well.

Clean off the commutator, new brushes (or maybe just springs)... wait, what am I saying? They're pricing them so aggressively a new one is cheaper than a battery. What a waste.

LiIon > NiMH > NiCd
    More volts = better

I have a couple of 18V Bosches that have served me well; I was torquing 3" screws through 2x4s a few weeks ago.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    My Makita 9.6 volt of 20 years died last year. Lowe's had a Dewalt 18V on sale with two batteries and a canvas bag to carry it in.
    Superb equipment. My next purchase will be to get a Dewalt cordless impact. For some reason lug nuts are harder to get off each year. :dunno: :)

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I would only purchase Makita,Dewalt,or Milwaukee for a battery drill.I have both Makita,and Milwaukee that are 20 + years old,and I just replaced the batteries in the last couple years.The batteries don't seem to have the life on the others.JMO

devious169

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Earth and you?
    I've been in residential,commercial and industrial construction for over 20 years and have used all the big name brands of cordless tools. Some are good and some are mediocre at best. The current set I have is Hitachi 18 v hdx and they have served me well for the past decade. The tool itself is warranted for life and the batteries for 10 years. Not saying they last ten years I've returned 2 out of 5 for new ones. Although they are headed for a pawn shop somewhere soon, I will either get another set or try the new Metabo cordless.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I was formerly in the tool sales business, but the focus on mechanics tools, not construction. I needed to buy a new cordless drill about 6 months ago and several friends and family members who have worked in the construction trades for years, all recommended Dewalt, I bought the basic drill kit on sale at Lowes, Im not positive but I think it was $99 and Ive been very happy with it since. I don't think its the greatest drill ever, but its very good and at a very attractive price.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Stay away from Porter Cable while you're at it. They used to be good, but they suck now.

"Used to be good" as in how long ago?

My dad bought a kit a few years back and he was so impressed with it that he bought us all kits for Christmas. We've all literally abused our kits. They've all held up great and just cannot be broken. I did replace my batteries a few months ago but for a NiMH battery that sees routine abuse I'm more than satisfied with the life I got out of them (over 5 years).

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I've got an old Black and Decker 18V and the batteries are shot.

I can get new, higher amperage replacements for around $40 each . . . the B&D name brand batteries are I guess terrible, but these replacement ones get great reviews.

Would you do that, or swing for a new drill? Menards has an 18V Hitachi 1/2" cordless on sale this weekend for half price (49 instead of 99). Comes with two batteries, case, and charger.

The math:
    Buy the new package.

Two batteries for the price of one. And all the other stuff is free.

Welcome to our disposable world.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    OP, I bought the exact drill you listed yesterday.
    Between positive online reviews, the price, and a buddy having all hitachi tools and seeing how they have held up I figured I couldn't lose.

Now for the disclaimer. It's a gift so I won't be the one using it.

Make sure you get on the website and see if your store has it. The store I usually go to did not have it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My Milwaukee stuff has been bullet proof. I have worn one out but it was used/abused for years.
    I rebuild the batterys myself. Easy to do.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I've got an old Black and Decker 18V and the batteries are shot.

I can get new, higher amperage replacements for around $40 each . . . the B&D name brand batteries are I guess terrible, but these replacement ones get great reviews.

Would you do that, or swing for a new drill? Menards has an 18V Hitachi 1/2" cordless on sale this weekend for half price (49 instead of 99). Comes with two batteries, case, and charger.

How long is that sale on? My beloved Milwaukee 18v cordless drill fell from 24 feet onto concrete yesterday. Still works, but the handle is now separated from the motor.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Makita. They have a pile of other cordless things you can get as well all using the same batteries. They also usually will give away extra batteries or tools with their kits. Just check their website to see what they are giving away now. I believe it was two free batteries the last time I checked. Whatever you do, do NOT buy anything but a lithium ion powered cordless tool. To keep the batteries in good shape, store them indoors in the winter and don't drain them completely dead. Lithium ion batteries do not have any memory effect so do not worry about short charging them. They will also not drain while sitting in your tool box.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    How long is that sale on? My beloved Milwaukee 18v cordless drill fell from 24 feet onto concrete yesterday. Still works, but the handle is now separated from the motor.
    Send that thing in for repair.If the shaft is not bent,it will not be that bad.If you burn up the motor,they fix for free,if you drop,you pay.

Top Bottom