• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1401king

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    I may or may not drive on a city street that runs right through the heart of a local university, daily. If I were to have a firearm in my possession while doing so, would I be breaking the law?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I may or may not drive on a city street that runs right through the heart of a local university, daily. If I were to have a firearm in my possession while doing so, would I be breaking the law?

Nope, you're all set.

You can even get out of your car and walk around if you like. There are no laws against having a firearm on a college campus. They're no more than any other business.

However, while you wouldn't be in the wrong... they are pretty jumpy about the subject, and you might get a couple questions from LEO if they have to respond to a MWAG call.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

You wouldn't be breaking the law if you were sitting in a classroom of the university with a firearm as long as you have your LTCH. You might be violating campus policy though.

Hell, you could have a long gun and not even need the LTCH.

1401king

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Great. Thanks. I thought it was the law. I am usually pretty good with the difference. Guess I had a senior moment. Thanks again.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I know, but I'm covering all bases for anyone thinking of carrying on a college campus in Indiana. It isn't a K-12 school, so the gun free zone laws don't apply to it. You can CC all you want. The worse they can do to you is kick you out and the worse the school can do is expel you. But of course that only happens if someone finds out you are carrying, so I would just conceal the gun...which is the whole point and not brag about it or even talk about it with classmates unless they too are also fellow gun owners, but even then, it's called keeping a low profile.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I know, but I'm covering all bases for anyone thinking of carrying on a college campus in Indiana. It isn't a K-12 school, so the gun free zone laws don't apply to it. You can CC all you want. The worse they can do to you is kick you out and the worse the school can do is expel you. But of course that only happens if someone finds out you are carrying, so I would just conceal the gun...which is the whole point and not brag about it or even talk about it with classmates unless they too are also fellow gun owners, but even then, it's called keeping a low profile.

:yesway:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    In Indiana?
    Yep.

In Indiana, Colleges and Universities are not defined as "schools" under State law. So, they might have a policy, but that's it.

For Schools (as in K12, pre-, and HeadStart), firearms are allowed locked in vehicles, out of sight. This is a relatively recent change, IIRC.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Yep.

In Indiana, Colleges and Universities are not defined as "schools" under State law. So, they might have a policy, but that's it.

For Schools (as in K12, pre-, and HeadStart), firearms are allowed locked in vehicles, out of sight. This is a relatively recent change, IIRC.

Yep! We are pretty close to the way things should be here in Indiana. Other states, not so much.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Well . . . it depends.:D Sorry, I cannot help it, it's like ringing the bell.:D

Ok, let's wargame it out:

1. If you are prohibited person (felon, domestic batterer, substance abuser, etc.), yes you are breaking the law.

2. If the "firearm" stolen, yes you are breaking the law.

3. If the firearm is an untaxed Title II weapon, yes you are breaking the law.

4. Assuming arguendo that the firearm is NOT stolen, or untaxed Title II and you are not a prohibited person, then, no, you are not breaking the law.

5. If the firearm is a handgun and you do not have a LTCH, then yes you are breaking the law.

6. If you have a LTCH, and the firearm is a handgun, then you are not breaking the law.

The confusion lies in the use of the word "school". In Indiana schools are K-12, not junior colleges, trade schools, colleges and universities. People, in the day to day living as normal, decent human beings, use "school" broadly to include Purdue or IU.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

1. If you are prohibited person (felon, domestic batterer, substance abuser, etc.), yes you are breaking the law.

4. Assuming arguendo that the firearm is NOT stolen, or untaxed Title II and you are not a prohibited person, then, no, you are not breaking the law.

5. If the firearm is a handgun and you do not have a LTCH, then yes you are breaking the law.

6. If you have a LTCH, and the firearm is a handgun, then you are not breaking the law.

The confusion lies in the use of the word "school". In Indiana schools are K-12, not junior colleges, trade schools, colleges and universities. People, in the day to day living as normal, decent human beings, use "school" broadly to include Purdue or IU.

Leave it to a lawyer to overly verbose when a simple "Colleges are not prohibited places" when would suffice. :rolleyes:

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    So I have carried mine at IUPUI, quite often in fact. the worst I have ever received was a look. But it has never been OC'd.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

WARNING HUMOR ATTEMPT*** so there Kirk

On #5 you can be off duty LEO and carry without a LTCH licence using only agency I'd under LEOSA as that does away with the need of a handgun permit/licence.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    ...The worse they can do to you is kick you out and the worse the school can do is expel you. .

OK, now I'm curious. On what grounds could the university or college kick me out?

Let's assume I am
    a) Joe Citizen walking through, not a student or staff or contractor (I have no legal/contractual relationship with the univ/college).
    b) It is a state uni or college, like IU or Purdue, not a private one.
    c) I have license to carry a handgun

Can the uni or college make me leave if it comes to light, in some legal manner, that I am carrying, because there is a uni/college policy against it?

Does this change if I am a student (i.e. it sounds as if I can be expelled for violating the school policy)?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    OK, now I'm curious. On what grounds could the university or college kick me out?

Let's assume I am
    a) Joe Citizen walking through, not a student or staff or contractor (I have no legal/contractual relationship with the univ/college).
    b) It is a state uni or college, like IU or Purdue, not a private one.
    c) I have license to carry a handgun

Can the uni or college make me leave if it comes to light, in some legal manner, that I am carrying, because there is a uni/college policy against it?

Does this change if I am a student (i.e. it sounds as if I can be expelled for violating the school policy)?

Good question, is there no trespass situation with public-owned property?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    WARNING HUMOR ATTEMPT*** so there Kirk

On #5 you can be off duty LEO and carry without a LTCH licence using only agency I'd under LEOSA as that does away with the need of a handgun permit/licence.

Ah, yes. I remember years ago when Massad Ayoob was pushing hard for a forerunner of that law. He said that if "we" helped all the guys with badges get the opportunity to carry nationwide, he and all of those guys would then help the rest of us get the same.

So LEOSA is a law now and . . . crickets chirping.

My axe! There's not much left . . .

Top Bottom