• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I've got a job offer down in AL which I am considering. Gun friendly office environment, carry welcome and encouraged. I know I can carry and drive with my carry piece the entire drive down, but what about everything else I have? Figured unloaded, ammo separate should be good enough but not all laws are based on common sense so am uncertain what would be required.

Snippit from some communication with the potential new boss:

"Another benefit is we allow carrying at the office" ..."Over half our employees do already" ... "The idea has even come up for company range days."

Sounds like a great job, eh? Still undecided yet, but am weighing my options and planning logistics in my head (cost of packing up a house full of things to move, time/costs of finding new place once there, how to transfer my guns, how to transfer cat, etc etc)

Last edited:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I've got a job offer down in AL which I am considering. Gun friendly office environment, carry welcome and encouraged. I know I can carry and drive with my carry piece the entire drive down, but what about everything else I have? Figured unloaded, ammo separate should be good enough but not all laws are based on common sense so am uncertain what would be required.

Snippit from some communication with the potential new boss:

"Another benefit is we allow carrying at the office" ..."Over half our employees do already" ... "The idea has even come up for company range days."

Sounds like a great job, eh? Still undecided yet, but am weighing my options and planning logistics in my head (cost of packing up a house full of things to move, time/costs of finding new place once there, how to transfer my guns, how to transfer cat, etc etc)
    Check all the other states laws, but you should have no (legal) issue transporting any and all weapons legally owned.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'll look into it more when I get off work (almost there). Just unsure if Kentucky, Tennessee or Alabama had any wonky laws when transporting firearms that aren't on your hip.

NRA-ILA | Guide To The Interstate Transportation

A provision of the federal law known as the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act, or FOPA, protects those who are transporting firearms for lawful purposes from local restrictions which would otherwise prohibit passage.
    Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered.

Travelers should be aware that some state and local governments treat this federal provision as an “affirmative defense” that may only be raised after an arrest. All travelers in areas with restrictive laws would be well advised to have copies of any applicable firearm licenses or permits, as well as copies or printouts from the relevant jurisdictions’ official publications or websites documenting pertinent provisions of law (including FOPA itself) or reciprocity information. In the event of an unexpected or extended delay, travelers should make every effort not to handle any luggage containing firearms unnecessarily and to secure it in a location where they do not have ready access to it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Load pistols, put on body. Case up long guns for protection against other baggage. Put cat in cat box (note: punch holes in cat box as cats often need air). Drive to Alabama.

Diagram for cat in box:

32615d1327613504-how-cats-see-things-cat%2520in%2520box-jpg

Be aware of 870 shotguns while in Alabama.

If you are going to Huntsville, stop in Larry's, you will be amazed.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Load pistols, put on body. Case up long guns for protection against other baggage. Put cat in cat box (note: punch holes in cat box as cats often need air). Drive to Alabama.

Diagram for cat in box:

32615d1327613504-how-cats-see-things-cat%2520in%2520box-jpg

Be aware of 870 shotguns while in Alabama.

If you are going to Huntsville, stop in Larry's, you will be amazed.

Thanks!

I'm still on the fence if I'll go or not. I like Indiana. I like Indiana people. I like the Ohio river and I like my neighbors in my small town.

I've moved in the past for work, and it seems that I always found my way back to Indiana... (but this could be a good career move)

We'll see. :)

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I had a cat that freaked out in one of those cardboard carriers and literally crawled out one of the air holes. Once she was out, no problem, just didn't want to be in the box.

Top Bottom