• ...and so much more!
  • Glock22

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Bedford
    I ordered a 1885 Highwall 45-70 for bpcr from the C Sharps company located in Big Timber Montana. I ordered it last September and is due to be completed in about another month,it’s usually a 4 to 6 month wait. Not having a vacation for years now I considered driving out to pick it up(Have ffl). It’s just under a 23 hour drive going north up through Illinois up to Minnesota getting on hwy 90 and it takes you to Big Timber. I’ve talked to a few people in those areas and they say just keep an eye on the weather and I’ll be fine. I’ve never been and always wanted to see Montana and that part of the country. If anyone has made this trip and advise would be greatly appreciated.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I’ve been to Montana several times over multiple years on various hunting trips. BIG state - lots to see. Do you have specific interests or things you think you might want to see ?

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    I used to live in Great Falls (they aren't great). Just be over prepared and know where you are going. Once out of town, Montana is a beautifully unforgiving state.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    BTDT, almost...

I've done the route up to MN and west on 90 (as far as Rapid City, SD area). I've also driven west through Nebraska and north through Wyoming to get to Yellowstone (stayed at a condo in MT).

Not sure what your travel-style is, but this is not a jump in the car and do it in 1-shot type of trip as a sole driver. You will have to stop and rest. May as well make it a road-trip, see some sights along the way, and take your time.

Caveat: I've never done that in the winter; always summer/fall. Be ware of wild weather patterns and unpredictable storms in the mountains and just east of them.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    You will pass right by Little Bighorn. Well worth a stop. The weather will be the issue. Lot's of open road, be prepared.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I was in Big Timber this past summer on the way home from Utah, Yellowstone. I saw the factory it was across the street from a gas, grocery, souvenir and gun store. all under one roof, Which is worth visiting also. Everything said is accurate. It is a long hall and if you're going you should stop and see Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone is not too far away, at least by Montana standards. The weather can be a factor at least until May.

Glock22

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Bedford
    I was in Big Timber this past summer on the way home from Utah, Yellowstone. I saw the factory it was across the street from a gas, grocery, souvenir and gun store. all under one roof, Which is worth visiting also. Everything said is accurate. It is a long hall and if you're going you should stop and see Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone is not too far away, at least by Montana standards. The weather can be a factor at least until May.
    I see you are in Lawrence county,I live on 158 going towards Fayetteville

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I visit the VFD the third Sat. of the month for fish also. It is pretty popular.
    Once Glock 22 gets his rifle, I wonder what the odds are of seeing it?

Glock22

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Bedford
    I visit the VFD the third Sat. of the month for fish also. It is pretty popular.
    Once Glock 22 gets his rifle, I wonder what the odds are of seeing it?
    Are talking about the department across the street from the church?And yes I’ll show anyone the rifle.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Maybe it's because I lived up north for quite a while, but making that drive during the winter months is the OPPOSITE of a vacation in my mind unless I am going skiing or snowmobiling or some sort of dedicated winter activities.

Personally, I would do it in May when there is a ton more to do along the way. Do some lake fishing in southern Minnesota, ignore most of eastern South Dakota, and then stop at the Missouri River reservoirs and do some hiking and fishing there. I lived in Pierre South Dakota for years, and there is some beautiful country there along the Missouri River. Stop off at the badlands just east of Rapid City, and then hit the Black Hills. Lake Pactola is a great day trip, and Deerfield lake is awesome if you like backwoods primitive camping. Plus, there's so much to do in the Black Hills as far as hiking, all the old mines, history like Deadwood, etc that I could easily spend a week there.

Heading west, you were going to go through some stunningly barren territory until you start to hit the mountains. It's been a long long time since I've gone that way from the Black Hills so I don't really remember the specifics of what's out there, but once you start to get to the Rockies it is just some awesome territory.

Still, none of this is anything I would WANT to drive in the winter months.

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    Obviously you have looked at this:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Bed...646d4fa028aa6!2m2!1d-109.9540644!2d45.8343543

If you have never been west be prepared, things (gas stations, c-stores, motels, ect.) are far apart. It is beautiful country. If it was me, and it depends on what you are looking to see, after all it is your trip, I would probably go west on I74 to Galesburg, cut west on US 34 across the southern tier of IA., north on I 29, then west on SD50 up the Missouri river valley. I have done this route several times. Beautiful scenery, easy traffic, the less traveled route if you will. IMHO northern IL., WI., and MN., are all a pain in the behind as far as traffic is concerned. US 34 is mixed 4 lane and 2 lane, with long straight stretches in the event you get behind grandma.

Enjoy your trip whichever direction you go. And like they said before, watch the weather, it can get tough sometimes.

SD

Glock22

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Bedford
    Obviously you have looked at this:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Bed...646d4fa028aa6!2m2!1d-109.9540644!2d45.8343543

If you have never been west be prepared, things (gas stations, c-stores, motels, ect.) are far apart. It is beautiful country. If it was me, and it depends on what you are looking to see, after all it is your trip, I would probably go west on I74 to Galesburg, cut west on US 34 across the southern tier of IA., north on I 29, then west on SD50 up the Missouri river valley. I have done this route several times. Beautiful scenery, easy traffic, the less traveled route if you will. IMHO northern IL., WI., and MN., are all a pain in the behind as far as traffic is concerned. US 34 is mixed 4 lane and 2 lane, with long straight stretches in the event you get behind grandma.

Enjoy your trip whichever direction you go. And like they said before, watch the weather, it can get tough sometimes.

SD
    Yes I’ve looked at the map and the different routes. I have a friend going and we plan on taking plenty of supplies.

Top Bottom