• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zonfather

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Indy
    Is it okay to use a drone for aerial surveillance while hunting? I know you might need a license to operate and / or permission, etc. but basically I'm thinking it might add some flavor than just using trail cams. I also might be completely off base here but just seeing what everyone else has heard of or possibly tried.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    It's in the proclamation.
    You can scout pre-season but can't use it in-season. If I remember correctly, it is not allowed for 2 weeks prior to opening.
    I'll try to find the doc.....

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've only got one person in my life who went full nerd and bought a serious drone. He's a techy guy not a hunter and his will go 400 feet up, 3 miles out, and send back an amazingly crystal clear live video back to his phone and is quiet enough you'd never know the drone was even there. I think a drone would be great for surveillance, or scouting. I can see how a guy could use one to find deer and "push" them towards his position and why the DNR would not allow them for use while hunting. Bottom line for me, if the law says no, then don't use them.

However, if the laws were different for coyotes, hogs, or whatever then I'd say game on if you're trying to just be efficient at exterminating something.

Check out the search and rescue drones with thermal.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The one I've seen up close was noisy, no getting around that. Once it hit 400 feet, you had to really try to listen to hear it if at all. You also really had to know right about where it was to even be able to spot it in the sky.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I've only got one person in my life who went full nerd and bought a serious drone. He's a techy guy not a hunter and his will go 400 feet up, 3 miles out, and send back an amazingly crystal clear live video back to his phone and is quiet enough you'd never know the drone was even there. I think a drone would be great for surveillance, or scouting. I can see how a guy could use one to find deer and "push" them towards his position and why the DNR would not allow them for use while hunting. Bottom line for me, if the law says no, then don't use them.

However, if the laws were different for coyotes, hogs, or whatever then I'd say game on if you're trying to just be efficient at exterminating something.

Check out the search and rescue drones with thermal.

I can't believe you would call Hoosierdoc "full nerd"!

Top Bottom