• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I'd also love to see & hear how the primer looks,.
    No marks on the primer at all.

but more importantly I want to know about how confident you feel in betting your life on this pistol now.
    Based on total dis-assembly of the frame and a piece-by-piece inspection of each part, hammer, sear, disconnector, drop safety actuator, trigger mechanism, there is no damage of any kind to these parts. There is a cosmetic only mark on the thumb safety. No marks of any kind on the hammer or grip safety. Only the mainspring housing was damaged and will be replaced with a higher quality part.

I'm not trying to sound condescending, but I don't know if I'd feel that comfortable betting my life on it now. I'm curious about how your confidence is doing with that gun, and how many rounds you intend to put through it again before trusting it completely again. Any time I've ever changed/upgraded any working part in a gun I've always considered to be back to an unproven weapon until I use it enough again.
    When re-assembling the pistol I will check to make sure that the grip safety and thumb safety function properly prior to firing. I don't expect any issues, but I will take the gun to the range. If I can fire two or three magazines through it without an issue, then yes, my confidence level will be restored. I think this is reasonable considering the damage is isolated to the mainspring housing. Considering the function of the mainspring housing, and the fact that I will be replacing it with a higher quality piece, and the fact that there is no other damage (gun was holstered so slide was protected during the impact), it will go back into service as my EDC based on successful trial at the range.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    When re-assembling the pistol I will check to make sure that the grip safety and thumb safety function properly prior to firing. I don't expect any issues, but I will take the gun to the range. If I can fire two or three magazines through it without an issue, then yes, my confidence level will be restored. I think this is reasonable considering the damage is isolated to the mainspring housing. Considering the function of the mainspring housing, and the fact that I will be replacing it with a higher quality piece, and the fact that there is no other damage (gun was holstered so slide was protected during the impact), it will go back into service as my EDC based on successful trial at the range.

I think that's a spot on approach and I feel the same way. you will be good to go.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I'm curious what holster you have mounted under you steering wheel...Looking for something similar and pics if you have 'em!

Sucks to hear of the fate of the Kimber, but you'll get her fixed up in no time!

It's made by Gum Creek. I really like the position of this holster, very accessible. Here's a link to their photo page:

Vehicle Mount - Chevrolet/GMC

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    1911 backstrap

The little pin that keeps the mainspring from popping out of the backstrap is fatter in a plastic backstrap than in a metal one. You'll need to either get a new pin of the right diameter or open up the hole in the housing. I hope all goes well in getting your Kimber back in working condition.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    The little pin that keeps the mainspring from popping out of the backstrap is fatter in a plastic backstrap than in a metal one. You'll need to either get a new pin of the right diameter or open up the hole in the housing. I hope all goes well in getting your Kimber back in working condition.

Do I care about the size of the little pin? I've never changed a mainspring housing before. But I was assuming that when I order the mainspring housing, it comes as a complete assembly, with the internals included. If yes, then the size of the pin doesn't matter, because I will just change out the old housing with the new one. Didn't think I was going to have to move the old mainspring into the new housing. Yes? No?

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Do I care about the size of the little pin? I've never changed a mainspring housing before. But I was assuming that when I order the mainspring housing, it comes as a complete assembly, with the internals included. If yes, then the size of the pin doesn't matter, because I will just change out the old housing with the new one. Didn't think I was going to have to move the old mainspring into the new housing. Yes? No?

The mainspring housing usually includes nothing but the housing. Order springs and such where you order the housing from.

http://www.edbrown.com/cgi/htmlos.cgi/00630.3.767485865616416645

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN

Thanks for the heads up. I would have missed that one. I just called Wilson Combat and asked them to add one of their retaining pins to my order just in case. :yesway::yesway:

The mainspring housing usually includes nothing but the housing. Order springs and such where you order the housing from.

Much appreciated. Without this feedback, I would not have figured this out until the new mainspring housing arrived, then would have had to place a separate order and paid shipping costs for a $2 part!! :ingo:

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    you should have the sear & hammer checked.. the gun has a firing pin block.. that is what kept the hammer from setting off the round..

Not necessarily. I have dropped a cocked and locked Springfield 1911, with no firing pin safety, muzzle first on carpet covered concrete. No discharge and the only damage done was to my feelings.

Lol, I'll put my 1911's up against the tupperware guns any time. The part that broke on his Kimber was plastic. Guess what almost your entire tupperware gun is made of?

Yep.

And here's one for the Glock/polymer fanboys. This was dropped from waist height on a tile floor. See the right rear of the slide? The G19 was unloaded and I was disassembling while multi tasking by cooking. Guess what? The invincible Glock was totally useless until being sent to Glock and required a new slide to the tune of $180. So take that! :p

digi044-1.jpg

Two-Tornadoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Where everybody knows my name
    1. Glad you are ok
    2. Glad you will be able to put it back together.
    3. Glad you had the means to buy a Kimber in the first place.
    4. I am looking into buying a Kimber also (just haven't decided which one )
    5. I will probably buy a Glock at some point in time also.

6. For all of those that want to bad mouth people that like certain firearms.

:p:p:p:p

Last edited:

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    FYI, a Glock slide like you see above is metal. It just so happens Glock makes them out of very hard metal. Know anything about hard metal and what CAN happen to it?

I hear all kinds of crap about all kinds of guns. Anything can happen to any of them. I also hear of "it's made in (insert country here) or it's forged or cast or MIM.

I have all kinds of pistolas including 1911's, Glock, XD, M&P, etc.

I've been carrying my Springfield Loaded 1911 for 13 years cocked and locked. The only mods to it are MMC sights and a carry beverl performed by Springfield when new. If you use a firearm and carry it, it isn't going to look like a showpiece. I carry it because I trust it to go bang. It has NEVER had a failure of ANY TYPE. To answer the question of how much it's been used I'll say this. The barrel was worn out which the manufacturere replaced at no cost.

As I've said before, I don't care if it was made in Brazil, the south pole or Timbuktu. I don't care if it has cast parts, forged parts, or MIM parts. It has NEVER failed. Once in awhile it is TOTALLY taken apart, cleaned and lubed.

Do I have other "better made 1911's"? Yep, including Wilson. I carry this because I trust it and it has become and extension of my body.

Before that I carried a Browning Hi Power for 10 years and before that it was revolvers.

Snavelybob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Muncie
    If the hammer fell.. Striking the firing pin why didn't it fire?? I'm not that familiar with the internal parts of my 1911 ( beyond field stripping) but I figured it would fire

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    You might not have very much damage. A mainspring housing is all it may need.

I'm sure you'll check the sear and hammer step for damage and ensure that the safety didn't deform.

Sounds like it could have been a lot worse, cosmetically. Good thing you utilized a holster to move the gun.
    This. Kimber uses cheap aluminum MSH's.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Good thing you utilized a holster to move the gun.

Arguments to be made here.
    If the holster was on the belt properly, the gun and holster would have never hit the concrete. If the gun was in a gun bag, with or without the holster, the gun would have never hit the concrete.

Not knocking the OP at all, but there are lessons to be learned here beyond the obvious.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I've had my firearm on the sink in the bathroom before when I was "doing my business" and had it tip and fall off. No damage but I learned from that - we all make mistakes.

Top Bottom