• ...and so much more!
  • goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I just finished replacing the striker retainer pin on my XD9SC. A couple of weeks ago, I was at stschil's place hanging out doing my personally required mag dumps and all of a sudden I look down the sights of my sidearm and a small piece was sticking out of the top port. I immediately cleared the weapon and inspected the issue. Yep, the roll pin had split in half top to bottom.

When I called Springfield Armory, I was told that roll pin breakage was due to "excessive dry firing" but I don't remember anything in the manual that said to refrain from such activity. I was also told that the warranty only covers one replacement pin, so if it happens again, I'm on my own I guess.

What I have been doing was every time I cleared the weapon, I would "drop the hammer" and I guess that's a no-no.

While it was a fairly simple procedure to replace, I strike it up to lesson learned. All you XD owners take heed, do not dry fire this weapon! If you do, make sure you have a few spare roll pins on hand cause you will need them.

Have a nice day! Blessings!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I was also told that the warranty only covers one replacement pin, so if it happens again, I'm on my own I guess.

What I have been doing was every time I cleared the weapon, I would "drop the hammer" and I guess that's a no-no.

The part from SA about only replacing one seems kind of less than stellar customer service.

How often do you clear it? Seems like that would not be an excessive amount, especially for a centerfire modern pistol, with no specific mentions in the manual regarding not dry firing. A lot if training classes, matches, etc require you to clear the weapon and drop the hammer/striker before leaving the line.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I'm just kidding with you. If I hadn't said it, someone else would have :D

Yeah, I know... stschil and I already had that discussion when we talked about posting it on INGO. It's all good.

The part from SA about only replacing one seems kind of less than stellar customer service.

How often do you clear it? Seems like that would not be an excessive amount, especially for a centerfire modern pistol, with no specific mentions in the manual regarding not dry firing. A lot if training classes, matches, etc require you to clear the weapon and drop the hammer/striker before leaving the line.

Actually, I ended up getting two in the mail cause two different CS reps responded. HA! I do have a spare now.

I'm not sure what do do about dropping the hammer now. Maybe find something I can place in the chamber--aside from buying a TON of snap caps--to remedy the situation.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...I'm not sure what do do about dropping the hammer now. Maybe find something I can place in the chamber--aside from buying a TON of snap caps--to remedy the situation.

But... the pins are only 25 cents each.

Springfield XD XDm Striker Retaining Pin

Dry fire practice is too important to worry about such a cheap preventative maintenance item. :twocents:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    But when do you replace them? How much is too much? What happens when one breaks when you aren't expecting it to?

I've seen 5k round replacement recommended, but you could replace it as often as you like or never.

If it ever breaks, having a spare would be handy.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    I've seen 5k round replacement recommended, but you could replace it as often as you like or never.

If it ever breaks, having a spare would be handy.

God forbid this should happen during a firefight.

"Time out guys, time out! I gotta replace a pin!"

:laugh:

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I read somewhere (so put into it what you will) that there's a solid pin you can put in its place, which won't break.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I have had three Xdm's and I still have two. I dryfire them ALOT and I haven't had a pin break yet,I'm sure they will at some point. I think powder river sells a solid replacement pin.

Top Bottom