• ...and so much more!
  • nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Who here's done it?

I'm looking at packing a cold cooler for 4 days. How much should I get for a smaller cooler for one guy?

Anybody recommend a good soft-sided cooler?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've kept dry ice in rigid coolers and never had an issue with it exploding. Never...

They weren't sealed up!

If I were you, OP, I'd not keep your cooler in your tent with you if you're tent camping. Or even on the floor of your camper if you're sleeping on the floor.

That's a good way to wake up dead via suffocation.

-J-

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Dry ice doesn't melt, but it will evaporate. The key to making it last as long as possible is keeping it in a cooler with a good seal around the lid.

Minor science niggle (:n00b:): Liquids evaporate. Changing state from solid to vapor is called "sublimation".

So, dry ice sublimates, not evaporates. :D :yesway:

FWShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    What I normally do is.

Have two coolers.
    One I wrap dry ice in layers of newspaper and lay at the bottom. Layer the meat, 2 gallons of water (this will make sense in a few), bottles of water, pop etc on top of that. However; dry ice is freaking cold and it will freeze everything in the cooler (I had lettuce at the very top of the cooler and it was the crunchiest frozen lettuce ever created).

The morning we pull what we think we want out of the dry ice cooler and put it in another cooler. Instead of just buying ice we rotate 2 gallon container of water from the dry ice cooler since those two gallons should be pretty thawed. This will provide enough cold to get everything safe and stuff will defrost throughout the day.

Basically unless you want it to freeze do not put it in the dry ice cooler and keep beer, veggies, cheeses, etc. in the other cooler.

FWShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    As far as soft sided coolers I have yet to find one I really like for camping. They are great for day trips or transporting food but for multiple days you want a good hard sided cooler that is rated for a couple days.

Oh as far as size of the cooler best bet is lay out about what you want food and drink wise. That will give you a rough idea because everyone has different food need. Once you figure that out double it because you are not going to be cramming stuff in the cooler since it makes getting anything out a PITA.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I definitely resonate with the two-cooler idea, but in my situation I'll be limited to the space on a kayak, so it isn't really an option for me.

Perhaps I'll do dry ice at the bottom, wrapped in newspaper, under cardboard, then a big, blue ice block, then frozen meat, then beverages at the top.

It's a four day, three night trip, and I'll need to get the dry ice the day earlier - so it needs to last 5 days in a cooler.

FWShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    I definitely resonate with the two-cooler idea, but in my situation I'll be limited to the space on a kayak, so it isn't really an option for me.

Perhaps I'll do dry ice at the bottom, wrapped in newspaper, under cardboard, then a big, blue ice block, then frozen meat, then beverages at the top.

It's a four day, three night trip, and I'll need to get the dry ice the day earlier - so it needs to last 5 days in a cooler.

What about investing in dehydrated food or making it your own? Way less space required and still tasty. Plus you can put it in a compression sack that is waterproof so if you dump you do not lose your ice or flood your cooler with awesome river water.

Buy a water filter or tablets and then just filter any and all water you need.

My experience with soft sided cooler is horrible. I picked up a small sided cooler at Sam's Club a couple years ago. It says 72 hours but in 90 degree heat I have been lucky to make it through an afternoon. My one buddy has similar problems with another brand that is 72 hour rated.

Personally I would just hate to put my fath in any cooler for 3-4 days especially when you are up a creek if it fails and could end up really hungry.

edit: appears there is no such thing as a 72 hour soft sided cooler only a 24 hour which still sucks considering I was getting maybe 8-12 hours.

Last edited:

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Indy_guy_77 is correct on all accounts.

I would also add my recommendation on dehydrated or freeze dried meals.

In my personal experiences soft sided coolers are only good for keeping food cold while in transit from you fridge at home to your fridge at work.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Oh, I'm a very experienced backpacker, so I'm bringing along my share of backpack type foods.

The cooler is for some nice-to-haves like ice cream, frozen steaks, and icy cold beverages. Also, for fish storage as I'll be fishing.

It isn't an either or thing in this situation :)

FWShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Oh, I'm a very experienced backpacker, so I'm bringing along my share of backpack type foods.

The cooler is for some nice-to-haves like ice cream, frozen steaks, and icy cold beverages. Also, for fish storage as I'll be fishing.

It isn't an either or thing in this situation :)

Ahhh gotcha. Sorry I deal with enough morons that I figured you were just another jackass who thought he could eat brats and hamburgers every night on the trail with no backup plan.

If you stuff is frozen you should be fine with a soft sided cooler and really just head to store and buy the thickest one you can find that is reasonably priced. They all really suck at the end of the day but you should get a couple days at least with dry ice which is all you really need and as you know if you stuff starts getting warm time to burn through it quickly.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Ahhh gotcha. Sorry I deal with enough morons that I figured you were just another jackass who thought he could eat brats and hamburgers every night on the trail with no backup plan.

If you stuff is frozen you should be fine with a soft sided cooler and really just head to store and buy the thickest one you can find that is reasonably priced. They all really suck at the end of the day but you should get a couple days at least with dry ice which is all you really need and as you know if you stuff starts getting warm time to burn through it quickly.

I must admit I fall in this group as well assumed you weren't that experienced goes to show what happens when you ass-u-me anything. Good luck with the cooler, enjoy the time and have a ton of fun.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    No problem, fellas! It's easy to jump to "this guy is trying to camp while kayaking/backpacking" :)

It will be my first foray into dry ice for cooling, though - so I'm definitely all ears to the advice.

I'm leary of a hard shell cooler on a kayak mostly because I don't want to get too top heavy, and with a soft cooler I can lash it down better.

Top Bottom