Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Started back through the new concealed carry drills. One involved a reload and SHO and one involved a reload and WHO. I am going to ignore the under par time set at this time because I am struggle to make the par time consistently. The hang up is usually the reload from concealment. I get a hand full of shirt with the magazine. This has to be fixed. When I get the magazine clean I make the par time.

I also began to rethink having the WHO and SHO shooting done on a par time. I can crank the trigger and make the time but I am concerned about pulling the trigger faster than I can get hits live fire, and that is not the goal. So I am going to massage the par time to the first six shots, the reload and the first shot, but I will be shooting six SHO and WHO. This will allow me to judge improvement but not be crazy on the trigger one handed.

The concealment complicates everything and makes me sweat.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I agree on the sh wh par times.
    It's easy.to cheat the sight picture and most of us need to see a little more one handed.
    As for the concealment. It certainly does suck. I've done a little work with it and it's so frustrating it's hard to make myself do it

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I agree on the sh wh par times.
    It's easy.to cheat the sight picture and most of us need to see a little more one handed.
    As for the concealment. It certainly does suck. I've done a little work with it and it's so frustrating it's hard to make myself do it

I can do the draw fairly well and pretty consistently. Getting the magazine out is the tough part for me. 17+1 on the street so it should be decided before then but you never know.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Let's hope we never have to find out but prepare for the worst in any case.

I worked through the plate drills in refinement and repetition today. I haven't run any of these since just before the Area 5 steel challenge match so it was like starting over.
    I was making the par times on about half of the reps with one exception. I was consistently beating the time on plates reload plates. I think this means that all reps on the reloading drills are paying off.
    I'll go thru these again this weekend and bump the time down if the results are the same.

I'm one those people that just hates to dryfire. I know it works but it bores me to tears . I have been trying to combat this by changing things up on a regular basis, I have 4 different sets of drills and each set takes about 30 minutes. If I go any longer I find that I'm just going thru the motions and not paying attention. I don't count reps, I do each drill for a set period of time usually 3 to 5 minutes. I also alternate start position and add a little movement .
    It's not the best way to get better a specific drill I'm sure but it's keeping me interested and Impoving.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    1-13 from RandR. A little bit of a long workout. My trigger finger is sore from all of that reloading. I am a little miffed that my baseline par has been stuck for a while on 6R6. Breaking the numbers down I should be faster.

To up my motivation, I registered for Ryan Rocks.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    1-13 from RandR. A little bit of a long workout. My trigger finger is sore from all of that reloading. I am a little miffed that my baseline par has been stuck for a while on 6R6. Breaking the numbers down I should be faster.

To up my motivation, I registered for Ryan Rocks.

Ryan Rocks should be warm enough for you.

If the numbers say it should be faster what is holding the performance back in your estimation.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    That is what I am trying to figure out. Maybe it is just my math that is faulty.
    Good math help is hard to find.

I assume your draw, reload and FSF times say you should be faster than what you are putting it all together comes out at.

Are you doing silly things like looking at the targets after shooting them? Dropping the gun? Slow on the draw? Thinking about stuff on the clock?
    How much are you missing the time by?

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Huge fan of the NEOMAG for my extra mag while I'm carrying. I am a lefty, carry around 7-8 oclock, and keep a spare mag in my front right pocket hanging on a NEOMAG. It's worked great with full size and single stack mags.

https://theneomag.com/

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Good math help is hard to find.

I assume your draw, reload and FSF times say you should be faster than what you are putting it all together comes out at.

Are you doing silly things like looking at the targets after shooting them? Dropping the gun? Slow on the draw? Thinking about stuff on the clock?
    How much are you missing the time by?

I was a history major, not math. I was adding my draw, reload and splits. Forgot about transitions. The math adds up. I guess I am just temporarily stuck. BTW, during live fire this morning I found that my 25 yard times for 6R6 are about double my dry fire times.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I was a history major, not math. I was adding my draw, reload and splits. Forgot about transitions. The math adds up. I guess I am just temporarily stuck. BTW, during live fire this morning I found that my 25 yard times for 6R6 are about double my dry fire times.

History guys not being able to do math is almost a proverb.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I shot some groups at 25 yards this morning after some private instruction. It went ok. I have done a lot worse. I would like to do better. I also shot SHO and WHO at 7, 10 and 15 yards, and some small targets at 5 yards. Went pretty well. Focused on good trigger pulling and following the sights and trying not to rush. Did some one and two shot draws into really small triangles on the SEB target. Once again just ok.

Got home and cleaned the carry guns. Got some Steel Challenge dry fire in. Did SMoke and Hope with both Limited and SS guns. Going to take a little break. Then do the rest of the routine. Thinking about shooting the Carry gun Wednesday night.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Carry League tonight, Chuch his morning, wrestling tournament this afternoon. Royce got 2nd in the tournament, and a nap at church.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Kept the dry fire short tonight as I had some live fire during the day. With the sun out some of you boys would have probably been in shorts but at 15 degrees I was still COLD. Shot Fundamental speed drills.

Anyway,

Head shot sight picture. Annoyed that it takes me some amount of draws to warm up into this one.
    1X6.
    3 on 3. I could lower the time on this one, but I am trying to make sure I don't cheat the headshots.
    2 reload 2. I have to do everything right on this to make my par time and "shoot" all A's. No margin for error. Hands fast to the draw and perfect index on reload.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    More observations:

1. The more "good" attempts you have, the more your mind can relax and start to see what the common thread is in them. I'm beginning to notice my eyes going to the right spots automatically, if a particular drill is reintroduced enough times. Given enough reps in a session, I will eventually get the thinker involved and muck it up, before recovering and ending on a high spot. But it's not taking a super long time into the session to get the right things to happen now. So that seems like a sign that some of this is starting to become durable, like you've built something you're going to take with you.

2. Even on the "bad" attempts, I think most of them would still be decent runs at a match. So that's something. You want good attempts. But when your bad ones are not even all that bad, compared to what you were before, that's another mark in the confidence column.

Top Bottom