• Status
    Not open for further replies.

calum

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    N.Central Indiana
    This isn't a violation of his free speech right in the constitutional sense (at least, not yet... there are certainly plenty of examples of governmental forces being brought to bear on people for expressing their faith). But it IS about the tremendous hypocrisy of progressives who profess tolerance of lifestyles, behaviors, religions, opinions, political beliefs and everything else... until they encounter one that they violently dislike.

A&E is certainly free to make a business decision to disassociate themselves from Robertson, or suspend him, or outright fire him. As some other posters, I suspect that he knew this was a potential consequence of what he said, and he said it anyway. Kudos to him.

I personally hope that the rest of the cast makes a public statement of support for both Phil and his views, and forces the network to either reverse its action on Phil, or cancel the series. Then it can go to another network, and make money for someone who is less politically correct, and less hostile to Christianity.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Respectfully disagree. The show's demographic are much more inclined to agree with Phil than disagree. The cross-section of people watching A&E is different, but people watching Duck Dynasty are by far more likely to be on Phil's side here. No, I don't think A&E is protecting the viewers of the Duck Dynasty show, they are more concerned with possible backlash from watchers of all their other programs. Honestly I can't believe the show's been on A&E this long. They made as much money as they can, now the show can move over to The Sportsman Channel, or The Outdoor Channel. Buck Commander is still running strong.

Phil is entitled to his opinion and I truly believe he knew there would be consequences and he was willing to accept them. A good lesson to us all. When you know your position is an unpopular one, don't be surprised there are consequences to voicing your opinions in a public forum. We are guaranteed the right to speak our mind without recourse from our government. However, the court of public opinion is always a surly b**ch. Phil walked away from A&E last year when guns and God were to be removed from this year's lineup. They called him back. Phil walked away from opportunities in the NFL to make duck calls and build a business of his own. The man is a snapshot of what it means to be an American. Free to choose your own path. Free to be what you want to be. Free to win and free to lose. Say whatever you want knowing full well people will hate you for it - do it anyway.

We here at INGO hold some pretty unpopular views. When we voice those views in a public forum we will be disliked and even hated for it. But guess what, no one from the government is showing up to put us in jail for saying it. Not yet.

For some reason I can't rep you, so here is my rep: Great post! Well written.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Star suspended for anti-gay comments - CNN.com Video

This video from CNN about it got my blood boiling.

What really pisses me off about all of this, it was a snare trap set for Phil and Phil took the bait. By doing so, opened the can of worms. Liberal drivebys are seizing every opportunity to smear, spin off, discredit, lie about, trash a person's name and reputation. This IS the liberal way!

Liberalism is a sickness!

gstanley102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Delphi
    While I too, agree that Phils comments were purely his opinons and coveyed in a respectful manner, I can't blame A&E for their decison to sack him. Duck Dynasty is part of A&E's brand, and Phil is part of that show. A&E weighed the decision purely on a cost-benefit perspective. They're a business, and when someone in their employ threatens their bottom line, they will be removed.

If Duck Dynasty is part of A&E's brand, then so are Phil's beliefs and opinions.
    He expresses them regularly in each episode.
    How could Phil's interview damage their product?

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    What really pisses me off about all of this, it was a snare trap set for Phil and Phil took the bait. By doing so, opened the can of worms. Liberal drivebys are seizing every opportunity to smear, spin off, discredit, lie about, trash a person's name and reputation. This IS the liberal way!

Liberalism is a sickness!

They are master trolls.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Can you show me any instance before this interview where he's said anything about gay folks? I'm a DD watcher and I've never heard him say anything like that.
    He's said tons of times he believes the Bible.
    Like it or not, that's mentioned in the Bible.

Take what you will from that.

BIGKAT9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Valpo.
    Well this sure takes the heat off of Paula Deen,wonder if this will stop all the DD merchandise that we are faced with every time we enter a retail store ,i don't remember the last time i saw a Duckmen video at wallyworld .I'll say this they sure make a good call got an old reacher still going strong 17 plus years.

usafmora

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    North Vernon
    “I've been on this earth for sixty-six years, and I've reached a conclusion and it's a fact: women are strange creatures.” What is that man thinking on this saying?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    He's said tons of times he believes the Bible.
    Like it or not, that's mentioned in the Bible.

Take what you will from that.
    I would agree, he's talked about the bible many times. But he's never talked about gay folks at any time in the past, to my recollection. This time he was talking about gay people and he wasn't quoting scripture, he said it was his opinion. He's welcome to his own opinion and A&E is, as his employer, welcome to levy any punishment they see fit or that's contractual. His words could very well damage their bottom line and lose them viewers from a wider range than DD. They responded as they wanted to and Phil's paying the price for his poorly chosen words. Just because you adhere to one of the many religions in the world doesn't make you immune to your employers ire. This could have happened to any of us, had we been so imprudent as to open our mouths and talk about another group of people in a nationally syndicated magazine. He made his bed, now he's got to sleep in it. Knowing him, he'll probably sleep just fine.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    The people here that say "hey thats the free market" are forgetting something. There are protected classes in this country, namely minorities of any type, this is enforced by the government in the most important way, the sentencing of people to longer jail times by the use of hate crime charges. We all know this. The media which is on the liberal side, usually, backs this up and enforces it by removing "offenders" from their shows and therefore the money the "offender" earns. A free market would show that people who offend non minority groups (of any kind) would also get removed from their shows and monetary earnings.

A&E does not care what happens to their viewership, in 2 weeks the whole thing will be over, no one will care what channel they are watching and it will be business as usual. Except for one thing, the next guy that thinks about making a statement that may offend a "minority" will probably think twice, but not so with a guy making a crack about a non-minority group. This is how the "agenda" is moved forward, liberal government and liberal media helping pave the way for what they deem is justice.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom