• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Im just curious if we have any duck/goose hunters. I went for the first time today with a buddy, and had a great time. He is the only one I know who hunts them, so I was curious how popular it is.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Used to goose hunt a fair bit.
    Nuisance season limit is 5 a day.
    Sept 1 isn't really classic goose weather LOL..........but with that many allowed, and not freezing........you'll "warm up" to it.
    Late season is neat.........but with lesser bag limits, smarter birds.........I'll go after yotes instead.

1100 magnum with 3" Bismuth #2's.............good to 50 yards on honkers.
    Love to triple :)

Buddy had a Citori magnum.

Flock comes in, they split, 5 shots...........5 birds.
    Next day..............same thing.

He said growing up hunting in another state he thought he'd never see the need to hold more than 2 rounds.
    My 1100 magnum drove him dang near nuts.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Guys at work ran 835's when those first out, but then to a man went SBE.
    My buddy and I the only 1100 magnum guys.
    But then we didn't shoot steel shot either.
    Galyans had Bismuth 2's for 17.99 for 10 rounds. You learned to shoot well in short order.
    Think that same ammo (different maker now) is 27.99 for ten rounds.
    Had a great spot, buddy moved to another state........landowner's kid got married, inlaws wanted to hunt too............so said "have it all".
    Good times. Can always ask the landowner for permission to access river if I want to hunt in same general area.
    Cool dude.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I just took my turkey gun, added some BBB 3 1/2 black cloud, and never missed that was the guns fault.

We ended up jump shooting, and the first bunch I screwed up and aimed at the flock, not the bird.

Next bunch I did the same thing, but there was 1 straggler, and by then I took my time, shot, and saw a cloud of feathers.

Just when I thought I had figured something out, the day was over.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I waterfowl hunt a lot. Primarily field hunting for geese, but ducks too. I'm not an open water hunter. I will do some wade in timber stuff, but I am just not a fan of large body open water hunting.

Some years we pile the geese up day after day, some years not so good. The past couple years have been very slow with not many birds killed. A lot of it depends on what crops are in my good fields and a lot of it is weather driven as well. Corn fields, snow, and north winds all equal excellent goose and duck hunting.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Nice pics DEC! Looks like the dog is having a blast too!

Hunting on dry ground. That looks much more fun to me compared to waders, boats, water, etc.

Anyone want to take me hunting sometime? I don't know anyone at all that hunts birds.

I've got a well behaved yellow lab that isn't gun shy and will fetch anything, a gps e-collar, good gore tex camo, and a 12 gauge turkey gun. I'd gladly pay for the opportunity, provide food etc, and help however needed. You keep anything I shoot.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Nice pics DEC! Looks like the dog is having a blast too!

Hunting on dry ground. That looks much more fun to me compared to waders, boats, water, etc.

I have two yellow labs. The one in those photos is my older of the two. She is 12 now and has been a hunting machine. I hunted her once this September just before her 12th birthday and it was likely her last hunt. She loves it more than anything, but it is tough on her old bones. My younger lab is more of a duck dog. She is much smaller and struggles with geese. She is lightning fast and can be a handful. Since getting her I have started more timber wade in hunting because the water slows her down and she seems to focus better than in a field setting.

I enjoy field hunting much more than water hunting. I used to diver hunt with buddies and their boats on bigger lakes around here and over on Lake Erie. It can be fun, but I'm just not a fan of cold water to be honest. I'm not scared of much, but cold deep water in nasty weather scares the crap out of me. I don't have to worry about drowning in a dry or snow covered cornfield ... :baby: That and having birds finish into a field layout is just so much more fun, IMO. :cool:

I started last year. Tons of fun, and cool watching the dogs at work. I'm quickly turning into a gear snob though!

Yea that tends to happen. I'd argue that no other form of hunting is as much gear driven as waterfowl hunting. It takes good gear, whether that is clothing, decoys, guns, or anything else. Most of us tend to jump onto "Brand X" bandwagons pretty quickly.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I have duck hunted since I was old enough to hunt. I go a couple times a year but my brother who still lives near our lake goes frequently.

I have killed just about every kind of duck that inhabits the midwest. Mallards, woodies, 3 kinds of teal, widgeon, black ducks, pintails, blue bills, gadwalls, mergansers, red heads, canvasback, ruddy ducks, bufflehead and probably some more that I am forgetting about.

Duck hunting is far more social than deer hunting. We've sat in the blnd playing football games on the radio with shirts off getting sunburned. We've also froze nearly to death.

I like it because you get to see all sorts of different wildlife. I watched otters tobogganing down snow covered hills, watched eagles and osprey fish. Seen huge bucks slinking around the cattails. Coons, possums, squirrels all close enough to touch. I also like to bird watch and get to see lots of marsh birds that you would never see in the woods.

Good clean fun except for the stink, the muck, the black ooze everywhere but oh well. That's duck hunting.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have duck hunted since I was old enough to hunt. I go a couple times a year but my brother who still lives near our lake goes frequently.

I have killed just about every kind of duck that inhabits the midwest. Mallards, woodies, 3 kinds of teal, widgeon, black ducks, pintails, blue bills, gadwalls, mergansers, red heads, canvasback, ruddy ducks, bufflehead and probably some more that I am forgetting about.

Duck hunting is far more social than deer hunting. We've sat in the blnd playing football games on the radio with shirts off getting sunburned. We've also froze nearly to death.

I like it because you get to see all sorts of different wildlife. I watched otters tobogganing down snow covered hills, watched eagles and osprey fish. Seen huge bucks slinking around the cattails. Coons, possums, squirrels all close enough to touch. I also like to bird watch and get to see lots of marsh birds that you would never see in the woods.

Good clean fun except for the stink, the muck, the black ooze everywhere but oh well. That's duck hunting.

I work in a very cultural diverse environment, including people who have never hunted, and those that think it is a crime against nature. To all of them I say that to me its not about the kill...in fact harvesting game is a bonus (in that I don't depend on it to feed my family)...and that all of the other experiences in nature make even a unsuccessful day of hunting well worth the time invested.

So far this year in both deer hunting and duck hunting I've seen bald eagles on several occasions and at different properties. Not even a few years ago seeing an eagle was so rare that you had to blink twice to make sure it was really an eagle and not a large red-tail hawk or buzzard. And to see all the other things you mentioned is just incredible. To fade into nature and blend in is just an incredible stress relief in and of itself for me. No phones ringing, no immediate deadlines to meet, no tough budget or personnel decisions to make. Just sitting there with a couple of buddies, watching the world go on around us like it has for thousands of years. Great for finding perspective about what is really most important in life. The things a hunter gets to experience are things that some nature lovers will never experience if just for the simple fact that they aren't willing to put in the time and effort, and cold and damp mornings to be in the places that wildlife wants to be.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Used to go quite a bit, but it has been several years since I've done any hunting. Work and family commitments take up much of my time. Sold the majority of my gear this fall to make room in the shed.

THEFAT45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2013
    Knox
    I have duck and goose hunted since I was 11 years old. Mostly go hunting out of a boat on the river, but I am not above going on lakes, ponds or even laying in a flooded corn field. Primarily Duck hunt, but we always through out a couple of goose floaters. Oh and then there is the late season for geese. Nothing better than seeing birds work your decoy spread and a Labrador Retriever doing what he was breed to do.

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I've been duck/goose hunting for 15 yrs or so. It's a welcome change from deer season. Getting to bs with buddies, drink coffee and eat an egg sammich. Marinated duck breast on the grill makes a great meal and goose meat usually gets made into jerky. Would like to try making breakfast sausage out of some this year.

We hunt in fields and on White river when the water isn't up and flowing too high. One hunting buddy has family properties in a couple different counties on the river. Both places have fields that occasionally flood and if conditions are good can really wacky em. I have another buddy that has a farm on a smaller creek. Early in the year it's usually loaded with wood ducks.

We used to hunt some early season teal at Goose pond near Linton, but haven't gone much lately. The influx of new hunters is great for the sport, I'm all about getting more people involved and into waterfowl hunting. But it makes most of the public draw type hunts very difficult. Usually more hunting parties show up than spots available so some people go home unhappy after getting to the draw at 0530. Of the spots available only 1/3 are actually where the ducks want to be. So it makes the hunting tough. We've found a few private areas that will sometimes hold teal if they're around. Ever since "Duck Commander" came out the # of duck hunters has gone up ten fold!

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I've been a waterfowler for quite some time, but ever since I started playing in bands every weekend, I've not found the time or energy to go anymore. Figures, as now that I'm older, I've built quite the set of corker decoys, and flocked-head field goose dekes. And they sit around collecting dust.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Went pheasant hunting for the first time today and loved it. Next on the list is duck or goose hunting. Anyone know of a good public spot near Brownsburg for a noob to go?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom