• ...and so much more!
  • dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    So I'm trying to locate a sound file that submarine intercoms make when one ship station contacts another station inside the sub. I think that phone system is called a growler? Like in "Hunt For Red October" they ring up another area on the boat and it makes a "whir....WHIIIR...whir" sound.

is that indeed the proper term?

If so anyone have a lead on where to pull some sound clips of that sound? my Google-fu did not turn up much.

I know now we have some Navy guys and submariners specifically on INGO.

TIA

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Look up sound powered phones, on you tube. There is one called growler on it. Sounds like a Chihuahua being sodomized. But do not look up just growler. Or you will see f18 airplanes.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    So I'm trying to locate a sound file that submarine intercoms make when one ship station contacts another station inside the sub. I think that phone system is called a growler? Like in "Hunt For Red October" they ring up another area on the boat and it makes a "whir....WHIIIR...whir" sound.

is that indeed the proper term?

If so anyone have a lead on where to pull some sound clips of that sound? my Google-fu did not turn up much.

I know now we have some Navy guys and submariners specifically on INGO.

TIA
    SUBSIM Radio Room Forums - www.subsim.com Submarine games, reviews, forums, books, naval news

I used to be a big time sub simmer. As in I figured my own torpedo shots on paper and in real time. These people can help you.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Are you just trying to find out what they sound like? Or are you looking for a sound file that you can play on a phone or something?

The ones on my sub were like this. Except we usually just gave the crank a single spin at a time.
    So it would sound more like "woop woop woop".
    [video=youtube;o1aZSKxyfSo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1aZSKxyfSo[/video]

[video=youtube;oIrIJNwuia4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIrIJNwuia4[/video]

Top Bottom