• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • timeforchili

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Just to clarify, for me to legally buy a can to strap on to my pea shooter, I have to get fingerprinted pay a 200$ fee fill out some forms and track down a guy with a license to sell one to me? Am I missing anything? Sorry for any redundancy or FAQ overlap from this noob.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Just to clarify, for me to legally buy a can to strap on to my pea shooter, I have to get fingerprinted pay a 200$ fee fill out some forms and track down a guy with a license to sell one to me? Am I missing anything? Sorry for any redundancy or FAQ overlap from this noob.

More or less. Although "tracking down a guy with a license" isn't strictly correct. See this thread for a detailed account of my first suppressor purchase.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class_iii_nfa/26144-nfa_from_a_beginners_perspective.html

timeforchili

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    I actually considered that bunny, but I figured I'd prolly screw it up..thx for the thread scutter, that,ll help immenesly. All this just to get away with shooting the neighbors cat.

Kidding

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Woah, didn't know that part!

Section 15.1 NFA.

15.1.1 Criminal. The acts prohibited by the NFA and prosecutable as Federal offenses are listed in 26
    U.S.C. 5861(a) through (l). As provided by 26 U.S.C. 5871, any person who commits an offense shall,
    upon conviction, be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 10 years or fined. Although the fine
    specified in the statute is an amount not exceeding $10,000, an amendment to Federal law provides for a
    fine of not more than $250,000 in the case of an individual or $500,000 in the case of an organization.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-15.pdf

I don't recommend manufacturing your own without filing the proper paperwork and paying the appropriate taxes.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Or build one yourself and tell no one about it.
    Or build one yourself and pay the $200 tax and then you can tell people about it...

Just in case you had any lingering questions, I'll throw out a few tidbits of info that pertain to your OP.

You can build your own suppressor but you still have to fill out the forms and do everything just like buying one. The only things that gets you around is the high cost of suppressors and finding a licensed dealer.

Also, there is a way around the finger-printing/CLEO sign-off process. It's called a trust or corporation. You can form a trust and then fill the forms out in your house and send them straight to the ATF, you don't need fingerprint cards or a sign-off from the CLEO of your jurisdiction. There are other benefits to a trust as well, the only downside is that it can be a little more hassle up-front and a little more cost up-front. But the advantages last forever... trusts aren't for everybody, but for me, my trust is a HUGE benefit.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    OP you will need two passport photos also. Not a big deal as you can get those at Walgreens, CVS ect. At least you can here.
    I bought a roll of double sided Scotch tape for attaching photos to forms. I'll never use it all, though it won't be from a lack of trying.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    If you decide to build one illegally, you still have to get fingerprinted. I guess there's no way around that one.:dunno:

Top Bottom