• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Mysterious

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Needless to say, we didn't let her fire anything bigger than her sidearm from that day forward....and even then we stayed well clear of her.

And judging that the LAW hasn't been trained on in at least 10 years, that lady, if she stayed in very well may be a LTC.

We always had a joke about the accessions rank before commissioning.

Q: What do you call the CDT that is ranked last the day after graduation?

A: 2LT

Hellion_1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Putnam County
    Several years ago! I noticed the action on my Excam .25 was not closing all the way when I loaded a round in the chamber. I figured something was just dirty and so I proceeded to cycle the action and attempt to chamber the rest of the rounds in my mag in an effort to free it up. Now mind you, I am pullling the slide back and letting it go as snappy as I can. Sometimes even tapping the rear of the action with my palm. After the last round hit the bed, the action closed properly. :nailbite:

A terrible, sickening feeling overtook me as I now realized what was stuck. The firing pin was protruded and lightly denting the primer on every round I had chambered. Lucky!!! Lesson learned!

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    And judging that the LAW hasn't been trained on in at least 10 years, that lady, if she stayed in very well may be a LTC.

We always had a joke about the accessions rank before commissioning.

Q: What do you call the CDT that is ranked last the day after graduation?

A: 2LT
    :D

Well this would have been summer of 1988, so you're right she would be a LTC by now. Somehow I doubt she stayed though.

I recall one of the oddest days I had on an Army range was teaching my BN CO how to shoot pistol. He was a tall man and would extend his arm straight out, wrist cocked down so that he could peer down at the targets. He was cursing up a storm as round after round went into the dirt so I made some very diplomatic suggestions -- I was a brand new 2LT and not eager to upset someone who was rumored to be up for full colonel. He told me to stop pussyfooting around and tell him what the *(#*$% he was doing wrong. I was really relieved and by the end of the day he qualified easily.

Back then, officers would get training on the M-16 as part of their basic, but only "familiarization" with the pistol. Depending on their MOS, 2LT's, 1LT's, and even some CPT's carried a rifle, not a sidearm. No one seemed to think about the fact that newly promoted CPT's and MAJ's might need some training on their nice new pistol after trading in their M-16. Your tax dollars at work...

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Ft. Hood, TX, early 90's. Our armored company was on line during a live fire at the Table XII range. I was a gunner on an M1A1 Abrams tank and asked my Tank Commander if I could shoot his Ma-Deuce. He said sure so we squirmed around trying to switch seats. Meanwhile, our CO says "move out" so the company moved foward while we stayed a little behind. My friend is loading the tank next to us, now to our 1 O'clock, and is standing half out the loader's hatch wondering what we are doing. My elbow then hits the .50 firing switch, sending 4 rounds past my friend. "Hoolee sheeeit!" Luckily, he wasn't hit. Even luckier, he and I were the only ones to notice, due to the general racket of dozens of main gun rounds going off at the time. (you wouldn't believe the close calls during "peace time" training.)

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Dumbest for me was listening to my brothers and cousins first time I shot. They told me the best way to hold a shotgun was a inch or two from the shoulder to give the recoil a chance to slow down. This was a single shot 12 ga they loaded with 3" magnums.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Dumbest for me was listening to my brothers and cousins first time I shot. They told me the best way to hold a shotgun was a inch or two from the shoulder to give the recoil a chance to slow down. This was a single shot 12 ga they loaded with 3" magnums.

Uhm...ouch! How long did the bruise last? :)

Django

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2009
    New Haven
    I put an [FONT=arial, helvetica]escutcheon in the wrong way on a vintage colt and cracked a grip.[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica][/FONT]

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    We had a Russian exchange student when I was 13, took him up to our condo in Northern Michigan and decided to do some shooting. He couldn't stand the recoil of a 12 Gauge Remington 1100 so he decided to take empty cardboard ammo boxes and put them between the butt and his shoulder. We all stood there telling him that wasn't a good idea, and he didn't listen! Non of us could understand what he was saying after he shot, since we didn't speak Russian but it didn't sound good...lol That bruise lasted a long time!

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    This one is embarrassing...

One time, I packed up my gun to go to the range, but since I don't have a permit, I disassembled it first. When I got to the range with my dad and grandpa, I started to reassemble the gun and realized I had left the slide release / guide rod retainer pin on the table at home. :n00b:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    This one is embarrassing...

I packed up my gun to go to the range, but since I don't have a permit, I disassembled it first. When I got to the range (2 1/2 hours from home) with my dad and grandpa, I started to reassemble the gun and realized I had left the slide release / guide rod retainer pin on the table at home. :n00b:

Before someone else points this out...

Be careful, as it is the general understanding that carrying without an LTCH, even to a range, and even broken down, is still illegal. :twocents:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Uhm...ouch! How long did the bruise last? :)

Only a couple of days it was middle of winter and I had on a heavy coat. Dang near knocked my on my butt though, I was 8 or so. At least they were nice enough to stand behind me to catch me (and the shotgun).

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Only a couple of days it was middle of winter and I had on a heavy coat. Dang near knocked my on my butt though, I was 8 or so. At least they were nice enough to stand behind me to catch me (and the shotgun).
    I think they were probably just making sure the gun didn't get scratched.:D
    Not to thread jack, I shot a 12gauge for the first time a couple weeks ago, and it kicked! (2 3/4 and 00Buck.)

Top Bottom