• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I find it interesting that most folks mount their eotech above the mag or even slightly forward of it.

Is there a reason to not mount it toward the rear?
    It's not something that suffers due to sight-radius. So long as you can see the reticule with one of your eyes and it's sighted in properly - the bullet will hit what's under the reticule.

That said, the further forward you put it the easier it's to see it from any vantage point. To make an example, put something next to your ear and then slowly move it forward until you can see it with your right eye - then keep moving it until you can see it with both... You'll find the further it is away from your head the better you can see it [i.e. you can move your head more without moving the object and still have it in your line of sight].

Sure, the reticule is a tad smaller the further away it is, but so long as you can still see it you're good to go - not like you're trying to read text in the optic or something.

Put it wherever is most comfortable for you on your rifle.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I find it interesting that most folks mount their eotech above the mag or even slightly forward of it.

Is there a reason to not mount it toward the rear?

The further forward it is the better it works in preserving binocular vision and making the reticle appear to float on the target. It works on the rear, but not as well for that application.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Rearward mounting is also limited by the position and size of your BUIS.

253147_10151272977996851_2089496129_n.jpg

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    It's not something that suffers due to sight-radius. So long as you can see the reticule with one of your eyes and it's sighted in properly - the bullet will hit what's under the reticule.

That said, the further forward you put it the easier it's to see it from any vantage point. To make an example, put something next to your ear and then slowly move it forward until you can see it with your right eye - then keep moving it until you can see it with both... You'll find the further it is away from your head the better you can see it [i.e. you can move your head more without moving the object and still have it in your line of sight].

Sure, the reticule is a tad smaller the further away it is, but so long as you can still see it you're good to go - not like you're trying to read text in the optic or something.

Put it wherever is most comfortable for you on your rifle.

One note about this is that with holographic sight systems the further the sight is from your eye the harder it may be to acquire a sight picture if you aren't aligned with the optic very well.

Take an Eotech that isn't mounted to a rifle, hold it at arms length and try to get the hologram centered in the optical window. Now hold it 2" from your eye and try again. Much easier the 2nd time right? That's because of the way the hologram works.

There is another advantage to having the optice further forward though. That is reticle size. If the Eotech is very near your eye the reticle is going to appear HUGE on the target. OTOH, mounted all the way at the forward end of your rail the reticle with be very small.

There is such a thing as too far forward IMHO. If you're using BUIS, Magnifier, and Eotech, your Eotech is probably going to be too far forward unless your BUIS can lay UNDER the magnifier.

The best thing is to try out the different position and see what fits you best. Practice with your setup and see if there are any problems with one postion over the other. There is going to be a "happy medium" somewhere between "too far forward" and "too close to my eye".

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    One note about this is that with holographic sight systems the further the sight is from your eye the harder it may be to acquire a sight picture if you aren't aligned with the optic very well.
    Without leveling any accusations about your intelligence, you seem to have a misunderstanding of how a holographic sight works - or I have a gross misunderstanding on my end...

Take an Eotech that isn't mounted to a rifle, hold it at arms length and try to get the hologram centered in the optical window. Now hold it 2" from your eye and try again. Much easier the 2nd time right? That's because of the way the hologram works.
    The 'dot' does not have to be centered - so long as you can see the dot, your bullets will hit where the dot is pointed [assuming you have it properly sighted].

In essence, moving it further away from your eye increases the range of motion the sight can experience while still seeing the dot.

There is another advantage to having the optice further forward though. That is reticle size. If the Eotech is very near your eye the reticle is going to appear HUGE on the target. OTOH, mounted all the way at the forward end of your rail the reticle with be very small.
    The difference of a few inches doesn't make that much of a difference unless you're really putting the optic up to your face. These sights have 'unlimited' eye-relief so you don't have to do that.

There is such a thing as too far forward IMHO. If you're using BUIS, Magnifier, and Eotech, your Eotech is probably going to be too far forward unless your BUIS can lay UNDER the magnifier.
    The only 'too far forward' I would avoid personally would be to move an expensive optic off of the top of the upper and onto a handguard rail. Do it if you wish, but I wouldn't want to.

The best thing is to try out the different position and see what fits you best.
    Absolutely wonderful advice.

Practice with your setup and see if there are any problems with one postion over the other. There is going to be a "happy medium" somewhere between "too far forward" and "too close to my eye".
    Everybody has their preferences but, ultimately, so long as you can see the dot and your target you're good to go - that's one of the huge upsides of a holographic sight.

Top Bottom