• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    This may be a dumb question, but what is there to know about electronic ear protection? I've never shot with anyone with them but it seems to be the norm now.

Moreso, is there anything wrong with any "Wal-Mart" electronic ear pros($20-30)?

hip shot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    This may be a dumb question, but what is there to know about electronic ear protection? I've never shot with anyone with them but it seems to be the norm now.

Moreso, is there anything wrong with any "Wal-Mart" electronic ear pros($20-30)?

The custom ones can be had either digital or analog. The analogs are fine. Custom set usually arround 500 to 800 bucks last time i looked.

There is definately a saftey factor to them
    because you can hear if someone closes a gun behind you. For Sporting Clays you can hear the trap go off even if you can't see it. As an instructor of kids you can hear if there is any horseplay going on when you are not looking. Also since you can hear things said at quite a distance you can find out what your buddies really think about you:popcorn:;0)

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    Well I had a Wal-Mart card and I was wanting to pick up another pair of ear pros because I just have one pair and some plugs. I saw all those electronic ones so I figured I'd use a gift card I got for Christmas for it ^_^

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    So to add on to this questions - what about inside the ear vs over the ear?
    For protecting your eardrums only, it's hard to improve on foam plugs if you seat them properly. I've heard that sound can reach the bones of your inner-ear by being transmitted through the skull around the ear. Muffs are supposed to stop that. Beside being bulky, the seal around the muffs can (probably will)get compromised by your glasses--and you can always use both plugs and muffs.
    Personally I like to be able to hear range commands and generally use my 'Peltor tactical' muffs. As for glasses compromisng the seal, that I'm only just a little deaf has more to do with incoming artillery.

Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    I can't speak to the ones at Wal-Mart and I know you are wanting to us a WM gift card; however, I have the following pair (and I bought them for my Brother and Father as well). For under $50 bugs they are GREAT. The are also a low profile so they can be used with some rifles while still being able to get an appropriate cheek (although it is still bulky for many rifles).
    Amazon.com: Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff: Sports & Outdoors

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    This is to protect your hearing- not an item that you should judge mostly by convenience or cheapest. There are tons of other things you can use that gift card for at Walmart. I would recommend getting a highly-rated headset. Don't restrict yourself to ones from Walmart unless you can find reviews that indicate they are good. +1 for the Howard Leights mentioned above.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    This is to protect your hearing- not an item that you should judge mostly by convenience or cheapest. There are tons of other things you can use that gift card for at Walmart. I would recommend getting a highly-rated headset. Don't restrict yourself to ones from Walmart unless you can find reviews that indicate they are good. +1 for the Howard Leights mentioned above.
    Yea, thats why I was posting on here. It was a good idea I thought, but I don't know much about them.

What's a good decibel rating or however you'd phrase that? I've seen some there that are good for 25-26db of protection. You're right, its a safety thing. Thats what I'm more concerned with. If they protect my ears then I'm not worried about much else.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I'm not expert on the technical details around these. Here is at least some info. I'm sure others can add more:

• Look for good recommendations/ratings- INGO, MidwayUSA, Amazon, etc.
    • Non-electronic earmuffs can generally block more noise (commonly 23-33db), but block all noise. If you want to hear someone talking, they will have to yell. They are generally under $40.
    • Electronic earmuffs generally block a smaller amount of noise (commonly 20-28db). They will suppress noise when it reaches a set limit (ex: 80db), but otherwise actually amplify lower noise levels, making it very easy to hear instruction or conversations. Prices can range from $25 to hundreds.
    • Another option is earplugs. I actually double-up and use earplugs + electronic as I have a little tinnitus and am paranoid about additional damage. I can still hear conversations fairly well with the amplification of the headphones and get extra protection during firing.

Top Bottom