• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmviso

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NE Indiana
    What do you use for ear protection when at the range?

Is is best to just keep it simple and buy a pair of ear muffs, or are the electronic ear muffs worth while?

Thanks in advance.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I'm paranoid and use both plugs and full ear muffs normally. However, a good set of electronic ear muffs are very worthwhile. I've found them especially valuable when attending training to hear the instructor.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Ear muffs are personal preference. I use disposable foam ear plugs that can be had inexpensively online. Although, a nice set of electronic muffs would beat yelling to communicate.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    WHAT?:dunno:

Personal preference is right. If it isn't comfortable, you'll not use them as you should!

Find what fits your style and comfort levels. I like to use muffs myself.

A few years on the military flight-lines in my younger years have played havoc in my later years.:ugh:

Whatever you do,USE SOMETHING! I would suggest you use whatever provides the maximum in decibel reduction, and still comfortable.:twocents:

P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    When I first started shooting I tried the generic foam plugs, and always found them lacking. I then tried the shaped plugs, and then the moldable plugs, to no avail. I finally decided to go with muffs, first what was on sale at the local sporting goods store, then with some nice peltors, then with some low profile clearance priced muffs from a local hardware store. I'd say go with what works best for you. A buddy of mine uses only the shaped foam plugs with no problem. I have large ears, and while I prefer the muffs, some can be uncomfortable. Also, if they are too large they can interfere with rifle shooting, so try to keep them slim if you go that route. I haven't the cash to try the electronic jobs, if you know anybody that has them or another style give them a try before buying. It will save your hearing and some cash to boot.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Me and Adrenaline both use electronic peltors. The "indoor/outdoor" plugs you posted are actually the old style combat ear plugs one is for constant noise, the other is for sporadic noise, think Chinook vs Range shooting. . The newer ones pivot to block more noise or not and only have one plug. They are actually kinda cool. My Dad used to work for peltor, so I've tried pretty much everything they have. I prefer the regular yellow foam ear plugs to the fancy combat arms one (either version).

Adrenaline has these
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-97044-Tactical-Hearing-Protector/dp/B00009363P/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1257595425&sr=8-4"]Amazon.com: Peltor 97044 Tactical 6S Active Volume Hearing Protector: Home Improvement[/ame]

I have these
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-97451-Tactical-Hearing-Protector/dp/B000Q04MRG/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1257595425&sr=8-16"]Amazon.com: Peltor 97451 Tactical Sport Hearing Protector: Home Improvement[/ame]

These are kind cool.
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Skull-120-Corded-Plug/dp/B001KNSE5O/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1257595660&sr=8-27[/ame]

Last edited:

HiRoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Indianapolis East
    Many people don't know Aearo Technologies is locaed right here in Indianapolis. Most of the disposable ear plugs are made right here in Indiana.
    Aearo Company - Safety products for hearing, eye, face, head and fall protection

I find alot of people don't understand how to properly put a plug in their ear. Good vid by the experts.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPNPZJingZA]YouTube - Fitting Foam Earplugs[/ame]

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I too use electronic Peltors. I very much like being able to hear what's going on around me in-between shots. I wear the microphones to the rear, as I can see what's happening in front of me.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    the ones I have don't have protruding microphones so you lose no visibility and you can hear people easily. wearing backwards if you have someone giving you instruction from behind isn't a bad idea.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Many people don't know Aearo Technologies is locaed right here in Indianapolis. Most of the disposable ear plugs are made right here in Indiana.
    Aearo Company - Safety products for hearing, eye, face, head and fall protection

I find alot of people don't understand how to properly put a plug in their ear. Good vid by the experts.

YouTube - Fitting Foam Earplugs

Yup, true story. My Dad worked for them for like 23 years when they were Cabot Safety, American Optical, EAR, AEARO, and they acquired Peltor. The company is owned by 3M now though.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I have Peltor "Push to Listen" muffs...
    but when I shoot with Jay, I swipe his.
    I'm sure he's gone through a zillion batteries, because I'm always nearly half way
    home before I realize I probably didn't turn them off before I stuck them back in his bag.
    Sorry 'bout that. *sheepish*

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Electronic ear muffs are the way to go, you can hear without taking them off so you and a buddy can carry on a conversation while other people are shooting and it wont hurt your hearing, It only takes one shot to damage your hearing you just may not know it for awhile, Amazon has Caldwell Low Pro electronic muffs for about $30.00 delivered to your house.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I have Peltor "Push to Listen" muffs...
    but when I shoot with Jay, I swipe his.
    I'm sure he's gone through a zillion batteries, because I'm always nearly half way
    home before I realize I probably didn't turn them off before I stuck them back in his bag.
    Sorry 'bout that. *sheepish*

Not a problem. I check up after you. ;) The distinct advantage to the electronic ones is selective hearing...... meaning I can select when, and what I want to hear...... :D

Top Bottom