Ebola and my talk with someone who knows more than I ever will.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    During a talk with a crisis manager today on other things we talked about Ebola.

They are talking upwards of a million infections by January 2015. It was just a few weeks ago, they talked about 30,000 infections. They keep updating the numbers because people in that region continue to do very stupid stuff. His words not mine. They have changed the model so many times, because people in the area are surpassing peoples expectations on stupid!

I asked him what he thinks and the projection is accurate based on what they know this week. His fear is the disease jumps to other poor nations and large slum areas in other parts of the world. He said areas in India would make this outbreak look tame.

He does expect a few infections in the US by Christmas, but these would be from travelers. Poor sanitation and poor medical services are the main problems with controlling ebola so keep that in mind.

He also predicts that they (UN) will implement harsh means to end the stupidity if the model has to be changed upward again.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    During a talk with a crisis manager today on other things we talked about Ebola.

They are talking upwards of a million infections by January 2015. It was just a few weeks ago, they talked about 30,000 infections. They keep updating the numbers because people in that region continue to do very stupid stuff. His words not mine. They have changed the model so many times, because people in the area are surpassing peoples expectations on stupid!

I asked him what he thinks and the projection is accurate based on what they know this week. His fear is the disease jumps to other poor nations and large slum areas in other parts of the world. He said areas in India would make this outbreak look tame.

He does expect a few infections in the US by Christmas, but these would be from travelers. Poor sanitation and poor medical services are the main problems with controlling ebola so keep that in mind.

He also predicts that they (UN) will implement harsh means to end the stupidity if the model has to be changed upward again.

FWIW, the numbers of 1+ million by January that are being reported by the media is the WORST CASE SCENARIO that WHO is predicting. Check in on the last post by T Lex in the ebola thread. It's a classic example of the media being given "a broad range of outcomes based upon multiple factors and they latch on to the extreme worst case scenario and preach it as gospel".

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Whatever level it gets to, it is apparent that this strain of Ebola is different. Too many healthcare workers are dying despite taking precautions that have worked in the past.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    like I've said in another thread, seal off the area of concern, and let the stupid sort itself out. Cold and uncaring? Sure, whatever makes you feel better about yourself, but this world will reach/has reached a time when things need to be done that most don't have the stomach for. IMHO.....of course.

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    ^^^^^ "You need me on that wall, you want me on that wall, in places you don't talk about" and other such quotes that I am paraphrasing. There are already long lists of things that NEED done that some people don't have the "stomach" for. Personally I am allergic to stupid so I do whatever I have to in cases of exposure.........................

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    like I've said in another thread, seal off the area of concern, and let the stupid sort itself out. Cold and uncaring? Sure, whatever makes you feel better about yourself, but this world will reach/has reached a time when things need to be done that most don't have the stomach for. IMHO.....of course.

It is cold but I have to say I agree with it .

Along these lines , didn't a village get fire bombed back in the 70's when ebloa first popped up ?

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    It is cold but I have to say I agree with it .

Along these lines , didn't a village get fire bombed back in the 70's when ebloa first popped up ?

While such an event was portrayed in the movie Outbreak (in a flashback scene), I have been unable to find evidence of any such event in history....that said, if such an event were to have happened, I would not necessarily expect to find any evidence anyway.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    While such an event was portrayed in the movie Outbreak (in a flashback scene), I have been unable to find evidence of any such event in history....that said, if such an event were to have happened, I would not necessarily expect to find any evidence anyway.

I know it happened in the movie but I was thinking a similar event actually happened .

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy

Sounds like he knows about as much as anyone else that is following the news.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Ebola, as scary and fatal a disease as it is, wouldn't spread very fast in the West. They are lacking basic sanitation and common sense in medical practice in most of the places it pops up. It passes by contact with bodily fluids. It's not airborne or waterborne, so it can't spread if you are careful (and it isn't as fatal with even basic medical care, let alone some of the treatments they are rolling out). It will be devastating to sub-Saharan Africa, but not so much for North America and Europe.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

While ignorance is certainly a factor here, let us also not forget another great killer - love.

Say your child or spouse falls ill and there is no place to take them, like the current situation in Liberia. How soon would any of us throw out our child/spouse/parent to protect everyone else? Let's be honest, some would try, true, but even then most would try also to mitigate the suffering of their loved one and in so doing expose themselves to the disease. And the spreading goes on and on.

My concern is that for every human being that becomes infected the probability of Ebola mutating into a airborne pathogen, at which point WE won't be able to stop it, the Europeans won't be able to stop it, no one will be able to stop it. It will simply do as the 1917 pandemic and run its course. Except in that case the mortality rate was a mere 2.5%, whereas Ebola has a mortality rate of 50% - 90%. There is NO cure or treatment. Once infected do your best to keep the patient healthy and let the disease run its course. We cannot hide behind our sterility and our technology and our fancy hospitals. The defensive value of these advantages will be easily broken if they are strained even slightly.

So for every person that [STRIKE]dies of[/STRIKE] becomes infected with this dread disease we should be concerned because that is another biological factory in the potential evolutionary chain of this disease toward an airborne infection! We need to stomp the hell out of it and that right quick!

Regards,

Doug

Last edited:

45Guy

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    WOW what a relief it is to know that the despots that are the UN have us covered! I will sleep well tonight now that I know they have my back.

gvbcraig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Southwest Fort Wayne
    I never thought of me as a conspiracy theorist, but so much effort is being placed in the wrong directions and it makes no sense at all.
    The attached article about us sending US troops to "fight" the virus......say what!
    Unless they are going to burn the infected villages, what else can they do?

I cannot help but feel that it is designed to bring back the virus, you have that many soldiers over there, some are going to get infected.
    I feel like this is a way to reduce recruits, why would someone volunteer to serve if they are being sent into a virus infected area.

This administration hates our military, what a great way to destroy it.

More U.S. troops being sent to battle Ebola

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    First off, the correct term is "stupid", not "ignorant". Rich or poor, 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] world or 1[SUP]st[/SUP] world country, highly educated or highly uneducated, everyone knows what this virus is: lethal. It matters not whether the dispute is 65% or 95% or if one dipstick doctor (Brantly) was 'cured' due to incredible, exceptional, and extremely high (and high cost) effort. The fact of the matter is that ebola kills most people that contract it. Regardless of Brantly's outcome, the virus is deadly, and MOST people are NOT going to receive the extraordinary medical service and treatment that Brantly received.

Second, I trust ISIS / ISIL much more than I trust the U.N. At least ISIS is direct, and we know what we're dealing with - butchers.

Third, as far as commentary from various medical 'authorities' in the U.S., I don't trust them much more. So far, they've done what they typically tend to do, that is, down play the seriousness so as to (in their warped perception) not 'create a panic'. This is the 'normal' response from such 'officials', no matter how severe the threat or great the actual (not simply 'potential') danger.

MANY 'medical authorities' are attempting to overly down play the potential danger. Someone posting above cited that "they're just citing a 'worst case' scenario" in the potential infection. That is what SHOULD be done, and prepared for: a WORST case scenario. One ALWAYS prepares for the worst possible outcome, and hopes for the best.

On INGO, and other gun forums, no one carries a firearm preparing for nothing to happen. One carries preparing for the worst case scenario (a gunfight) and hopes that doesn't happen: today. They then prepare again tomorrow for the same worst case scenario. It's mind-numbing that anyone on a gun / pro-2A forum would think otherwise.

As noted, the virus is lethal MOST of the time, to MOST people. This scumbag, Duncan, from Libya that lied to enter the U.S. has been much more of a threat to the U.S. citizenry than Adam Lanza. IF he survives, should be prosecuted as a terrorist for knowingly and willfully perpetrating a (foiled) terrorist attack on U.S.

The 'prediction' now is 1+ million ebola infections. But let's NOT forget that the number has been increasing exponentially. So that 1+ million figure MAY be 5+ million in the near future. Let's ALSO remember that no one is exactly sure what this virus is, or how to kill it with 100% effectiveness. Let's ALSO remember that no one knows how this virus will or will not mutate. Viruses frequently and readily mutate for their own survival and propagation of the species.

Therefore, the MOST likely case is that the virus WILL mutate as it 'feels' necessary to survive. Which MOST likely means a mutation to airborne propagation. That's not 'crazy', that's simply a method of living on beyond it's own organism. NO different than man has done by harnessing fire, learning to build, etc.

As INGO'ers do with carrying a firearm, prepare for the worst case scenario. Defend yourself. As a country, the U.S. should take whatever steps are necessary, to the extent humanly possible, to prevent one more ebola carrier from entering the U.S. Cancel ALL flights and returns from Libya, etc. if necessary. Even for Americans. You leave the U.S. to head to Libya to 'help' or whatever, you're NOT allowed back in the U.S. until the virus is eradicated, period. "Good intentions" should get you nothing, except prohibition of re-entry for the foreseeable future.

JMO, of course. YMMV.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I never thought of me as a conspiracy theorist, but so much effort is being placed in the wrong directions and it makes no sense at all.
    The attached article about us sending US troops to "fight" the virus......say what!
    Unless they are going to burn the infected villages, what else can they do?

I cannot help but feel that it is designed to bring back the virus, you have that many soldiers over there, some are going to get infected.
    I feel like this is a way to reduce recruits, why would someone volunteer to serve if they are being sent into a virus infected area.

This administration hates our military, what a great way to destroy it.

More U.S. troops being sent to battle Ebola

1544321_840390405982542_4924914342976101346_n.jpg

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The flashback scene that was the intro to the movie Outbreak was of a bunch of Aussie mercs working in Africa infected with "motaba-virus" getting a FAE "daisy-cutter" dropped on them to sterilize the entire valley where their hospital camp was located. If any similar event occurred in reality, it's been kept secret very effectively.

longbow mentioned ebola possibly burning through slum areas. It's already burning through slum areas, in west Africa. If someone transplanted it to the high density slums of South America or, god forbid, India, those places would see similar, if not accelerated, infection and die-off rates in no time.

ModernGunner, I have only a single issue to correct you on. You kept mentioning Libya at the end of your post. Libya's in north Africa. Liberia is in west Africa. It is Liberia, formed by repatriated American slaves after the American Civil War, where ebola's burning like a brush fire.

Since the American government right now is totally dickless about it, we are going to keep our borders open. We are going to keep getting refugees from ebolaland. And we are going to see domestic infections take off. As mentioned, our only armour against this virus from the deepest pits of Hell is our hygeine. Even a reasonably well planned attack by ISIS on continental America using ebola won't do a great deal of damage, though it would do more than the 9/11 attacks did. The second ebola learns the new trick of airborne or waterborne transmission, even that armour will fail to protect us any further.

2015 will be the year of ebola. Every news story will be at least partially tinged with references to how it affects or is affected by the fight against ebola. Stock up on survival supplies, water purification, protective equipment, and air filters now, while there's still time.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    2015 will be the year of ebola. Every news story will be at least partially tinged with references to how it affects or is affected by the fight against ebola. Stock up on survival supplies, water purification, protective equipment, and air filters now, while there's still time.

What types of air filters do you recommend?

Besides the usual methods of water purification, what other methods should we consider?

Top Bottom