• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Well I was orginally going for iron sites, but I imagine I'll be better off with a scope. I need an economical scope for my ruger American .270. I want this to be my new truck gun in my single cab truck. Any ideas?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It all depends on your price range.
    It's surprising how much scope you can get these days for not very much, but keep in mind that you'll want one at least rugged enough that it doesn't lose zero sitting in your truck 24/7.

CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    Palmetto State Armory is selling hunting ammo for .270 for $9.99 a box I suggest you buy as much as you can. It is S&B I believe which is good stuff.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I personally would recommend a Vortex. 42769vet (Brian) sells them and could recommend one based on the type of shooting you are interested in doing (long range target, hunting etc.). You said Economical, not cheap, there are cheap scopes on the market, and there are expensive great scopes on the market, but I don't think you will find a better scope for the money that will meet your expectations and hold up on a .270 than a Vortex.

ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    I would either go with a Vortex, as mentioned above, or look into a Nikon. I've used both and personally don't think you can go wrong either way.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    What functionality do you value most? Magnification range?

In the $200 range the Diamondback (2-7x) & v-plex Diamondback HPs (2-8x & 3-12x where you can still find them at closeout pricing) might be great options.

Since I tend to think of the optics on a truck gun should be on the small end, I would trend towards a 2-7x or 2-8x and avoid the 40+mm objectives for something smaller. If your hold allows, you might even be able to put the scope in low rings which will keep everything nice & tight.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Well I was orginally going for iron sites, but I imagine I'll be better off with a scope. I need an economical scope for my ruger American .270. I want this to be my new truck gun in my single cab truck. Any ideas?

First, the .270 is a flat shooting inherently long range cartridge. Based on that the scope you choose should have a 50mm objective and minimum 4 x 16 magnification. The rule of thumb is to spend at least three times as much on the scope as the cost of the gun. You can't hit what you can't see. Light gathering capability at dawn and dusk, often when a furred/haired target presents itself, is optimally provided by higher priced scopes. About any scope in the $200-300 range will work at noon on a sunny day out to 150-200 yards. Minimal light availability and longer range(s) require quality optics. Quality isn't cheap.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Im a fan of quality optics, believe you get what you pay for, and believe you should buy as much scope as your budget allows. But these days, you don't need to spend 2-3x the cost of your rifle to get something that will likely have more capability than you, the shooter, do. If you're a professional, or a seasoned veteran competitive shooter, disregard this. But for a normal guy, even a "gun guy," $2-400 gets you one hell of a scope these days, and if you shop appropriately and do your homework, it'll get you a scope capable of everything you need for a truck gun.

First, the .270 is a flat shooting inherently long range cartridge. Based on that the scope you choose should have a 50mm objective and minimum 4 x 16 magnification. The rule of thumb is to spend at least three times as much on the scope as the cost of the gun. You can't hit what you can't see. Light gathering capability at dawn and dusk, often when a furred/haired target presents itself, is optimally provided by higher priced scopes. About any scope in the $200-300 range will work at noon on a sunny day out to 150-200 yards. Minimal light availability and longer range(s) require quality optics. Quality isn't cheap.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    You can pick up a good scope for less than $200. Weaver makes a 4-16X44 that goes for $160. It has good clear glass that is almost as clear as My $1000 Burris. It has been repeatable. I have had no problems out of it. The rifle I have it on is a Savage 243. It is used mostly for punching paper. The second one I have is on a AR and I have had no problems with it. I have a lot of rounds through both. We are talking 500 through the Savage and better than a 1000 through the AR.

Now can you run around in the woods and roll on it and fall on it and it still work. I don't know. I have the Burris tactical for that sort of thing. It is a 5-20X50 on a Remington 700 in 308. It now cost better than a grand.

On two of my hunting rifles I have the Weaver tactical 4-20 X 50 that cost me around $600 each. They are in the first focal plane. I really like this scope, that is why I bought a second one a year and a half later. Almost half the cost of the Burris and you get the first focal plane. Plus the glass it just as good as the Burris if not better. One is on a 243 Encore and the other is on a Savage 358 Winchester.

I picked up a Primary Arms Mil / Mil 4-14 first focal plane for my AR 6mm X 45. It has worked out good so far. It cast about $250. I only have about 100 rounds down range with it so far. It is set up for 100 yards and has only been used to punch paper.

My Indiana hunting rifle has a 3-9 Burris on it. It's a Remington model 7 I had chambered for 358 Hoosier. It cost around $200. I had to send it back to Burris to be fixed. One of the lenses broke inside. I have had no problems from it after getting it back. It has always been clear and repeatable.

What I am getting at is scopes are all over the place in price and most of the time the more you pay the better the glass and stronger built it is. Your saying that this is a truck gun. I assume that it will be in a soft case and stuck behind the seat and not in a rack. So it will be taking some bounces from the roads you drive over. That could destroy some scopes. I would think about a hard case with the closed cell foam. If it was me with the rifle you are talking about I would put a Weaver tactical in the power you want. Then if you think it might get stolen I would go with the Primary Arms. That way if it's taken you don't lose as much and it will still work well with the 270 with the 4-14.

Good luck on what ever you decide. Oh, I try to stay away from any scope that takes a battery. I have had bad luck with them. As they say your mileage may very.

EthanR9

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2015
    Fort Wayne

I have three Ruger American Rifles and as far as a cheap scope goes, I was turned onto Hawke Industries scopes by a friend of mine. I put the Sport HD 2-7x32 on my Ruger American Ranch in 5.56. As of right now it isn't sighted in to where I'd like it to be but that's my fault not the scope. Very clear glass and seems to be a really great scope for the $80 spent on it.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I have three Ruger American Rifles and as far as a cheap scope goes, I was turned onto Hawke Industries scopes by a friend of mine. I put the Sport HD 2-7x32 on my Ruger American Ranch in 5.56. As of right now it isn't sighted in to where I'd like it to be but that's my fault not the scope. Very clear glass and seems to be a really great scope for the $80 spent on it.

+1 on Hawke
    My hunting rifle wears the 2,5-x10x40mm Varminter side focus scope, and it's as much scope and quality as you can get for the money...less than $200.

Top Bottom