• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    I voted only when shot, but that's because I have a few of different carry guns, depending on what i'm wearing and where i'm going, and most of them get shot every 4 - 6 weeks anyway.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Short of wiping down the outside, just after range trips mostly. I don't use it infrequently enough to warrant an in-between range trip cleaning.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I answered no shooty, no dirty. In reality it's a bit different. I shoot to varying degrees and I clean the same way. I have a range at home. I used to shoot 500-1000 rnds a day, every day. Now I shoot less but still several times a week. What's changed is that it could be a couple of mags or 1000 rnds. So it depends on how much I shoot. I know my weapon and I know when it needs cleaned and how much. If I step out the door and shoot a mag, no cleaning required. If I do that several times in a week, I field strip it, clean the barrel, wipe everything down and lube it. Every 1000 rnds or so, I strip it to almost nothing and really go nuts.

ARdysfunction

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Indy West Side
    I voted "No shooty, no dirty. But I am with Steve B one or two mags isn't going to make it dirty enough for me to clean.
    Precision rifles and guns that don't get shot much I clean after every range trip. Perhaps before the trip as well depending on when the last time it was fired.

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    with others i answered 'no shooty' but i vary my carry gun and will every few months have some time tear them apart and clean them, so i was really looking for a tweener of monthly and when shot

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Poll fail. No bacon option = not a valid poll.

I clean mine about every thousand rounds or so, but I shoot a lot, so it's more frequently than it sounds.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    As far as REAL cleaning of the barrel only after shooting more than 200 or so rounds. Though I do usually pull the slide to wipe off/out dust lint etc, roughly once a month or so.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I picked weekly, but thats just a wipe down, once a month I'll do a little better wipe down. Mostly to get the lint out of all the crevices. I'll tear it down after I shoot it.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I voted for when I shoot it. Having voted that way doesn't mean I occasionally wipe it down and exchange the loaded round and trade out magazines.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Only when shot. Every so often I'll take it out and check that the barrel is clear of obstructions and make sure the chambered round is in good shape and seated good. Usually a quick wipe-down, also.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I take my EDC down at least every few weeks, use compressed air to blow out any debris and give it a good wipe down and inspection. The other guns I have I don't do this, but they aren't being exposed to heat, humidity, dirt, etc every day.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Bacon.

You are supposed to clean guns? Honestly I don't worry too much about it and clean them when I feel like it.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    The in vogue thing anymore is to never clean your firearms, but to me, if I'm depending my life on a weapon every day, I want to make sure I take good care of it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    OK I will be that guy and challenge the traditional. Why bother cleaning your EDC after a range session? Follow my logic here, if the gun was working during a practice session or match there is no reason to believe the gun won't continue to work. Just yesterday I shot about 50 rounds both pistols that I carry. I use good quality cleaning products and lubricants. The guns work, they are well lubricated, why take them apart? I actually find myself cleaning my guns before a planned shooting session.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I do weekly or sooner as I shoot just about everyday. 3 mags-64 rounds to 500 rounds a day. Spend a lot of time reloading. If I'm shooting black powder it's after shooting. If cartage every 1000-1500 rounds.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I only clean my EDC when someone that I trust is on over watch.

And a spare firearm is in arms reach.

You never can be too careful.

I thought that is why Smith and Wesson still made J frames? BUG = Gun Cleaning Spare

I usually only have my battle buddy over when I fill up the cars with gas. Gas station parking lots are dangerous and my attention is completely focused on swiping that little plastic card at the pump. I am not as worried about having him over when I clean guns because I can lock myself in the garage. Besides he complains about the smell of Hoppes and drinks all my beer.

Top Bottom