• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I thought that is why Smith and Wesson still made J frames? BUG = Gun Cleaning Spare

I usually only have my battle buddy over when I fill up the cars with gas. Gas station parking lots are dangerous and my attention is completely focused on swiping that little plastic card at the pump. I am not as worried about having him over when I clean guns because I can lock myself in garage. Besides he complains about the smell of Hoppes and drinks all my beer.

:laugh:

Nate715c

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Speedway
    OK I will be that guy and challenge the traditional. Why bother cleaning your EDC after a range session? Follow my logic here, if the gun was working during a practice session or match there is no reason to believe the gun won't continue to work.
    My usual practice has been to clean after shooting, however this has crossed my mind more than once.

12bee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I really don't know what EDC is, but I do know what a BFR is, and I have had to clear out the BFR's in the AO while doing the FTA thing years ago. And have had to utilize a BFR from TTT, but it wasn't a standard TA-50 item, OTOH I may have got it now, except no particular one is an EDC, but all are cleaned when dirty.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    There should have been a whenever it get's fuzzy option. I clean my EDC after range trips but I also look at it several times a week to make sure it doesn't have lint or fuzz on it. I wear it OWB OC around the house while I do chores so it gets a little fuzzy sometimes. Not major Cousin It like fuzzy but enough that I feel compelled to wipe it down.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    There should have been a whenever it get's fuzzy option. I clean my EDC after range trips but I also look at it several times a week to make sure it doesn't have lint or fuzz on it. I wear it OWB OC around the house while I do chores so it gets a little fuzzy sometimes. Not major Cousin It like fuzzy but enough that I feel compelled to wipe it down.

^ I'm sure the fuzz wouldn't cause a jam that easily, but I am super paranoid about dirt anywhere in my guns. With IWB the shirt cotton seems to get in the gun quickly. I check for it once a week, and clean if I see any. Plus, I like to keep my guns well lubed and ready for use so sometimes I clean it weekly regardless. At the very least I clean it monthly. I probably average about two weeks between cleaning actually. That doesn't count when I take it to the range.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I voted 'No shooty, no dirty' but in reality, that means about twice a month at least. I try to shoot at least once a week and my EDC is what I shoot most, so it gets cleaned regularly. An exception to that is my Sig P238 that I use for pocket carry. That gets cleaned and lubed regularly, even if not shot due to the environment in which is lives. A pocket gun tends to lint up so it needs a bit more cleaning than normal. On occasion, if it's particularly heavily covered with lint, I'll carry something else for a couple of days until I can get out to the range. That's when it's fun to clean the lint by shooting the gun. I've seen that gun have so much lint built up that it's hard to see the firing pin (not a normal carry condition) but every trace of lint disappears with the first round down range.

But for non-pocket carry EDC, it gets cleaned after being used.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I am cleaning my edc, right now ..... not really cleaning, but wipe off, and a little lube .....

This is what I do, after a match or the like.
    I hardly ever clean the barrel inside. It gets inspected with some frequency, but basically considered self cleaning.
    On occasion of non-shooting time, the gun gets the q-tip to take the lint out of some spots, if it's visible. That might prompt a further dab or two of oil here and there also.

EthanR9

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    I'd say if you notice significant dirt, dust or lint you should clean her up a bit. Not necessarily a full blown cleaning but enough to keep it nice and tidy. If not for the fact you may trust your life with it, then for the fact that guns are investments as long as you purchase wisely.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I shoot mine at least a couple of magazines a week, sometimes more. I field strip and clean about once a month and have someone deep clean it about once a year.

Top Bottom