EDC replacement time... suggestions of things to look at.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Actually, I just bought a new K9, so we'll see how it goes. I won't pull any punches here if Kahr is dropping the ball--I paid almost $700 and for that, I expect excellence. This will be the subject of another thread, though...

I picked up a Kahr K-9 over the summer. Ran the first 250 "break in" rounds through it and so far have put another roughly 500 through it including HP, +P and ball of all kinds and it has run flawlessly.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've been EDC a shield 9mm for a year or two now, and when I held mine against a friends brand new shield in 45acp I was really impressed with how small they got that 45acp compared to the 9mm shield. That 45acp shield shot very well and if I didn't already have a 9mm version or just absolutely had to have a 45acp as my edc then that's exactly what I'd go for first. I was really impressed with how well it shot, and how accurate it is. I've seen them on sale at PSA for $370 ish so they seem to be somewhere around the same price as the 9mm versions. S&W M&P 45 Shield Pistol - 180022 - With Thumb Safety

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Sig Ultra 1911
    M&P Shield or M&Pc
    Bond Arms - just for something different.

Oops - missed the price point - would have to say M&P Shield or the Springfield XD.

$650ish you could get a Walther PPQ which is, to me, underrated.

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Too bad you're not in consideration of a Glock because I'd highly recommend my Glock 36...it's a 6+1 pistol that is incredibly accurate, light-to-carry, easy-to-conceal, .45 acp pistol...I've jumped around in the EDC market for several years but it's been my EDC since I got it in 2013...it just 'fits'...and I love it!

That's how I feel about 1911's. Nothing ever feels as good in my hand.

Do you have to have an 'Officer's' model 1911...or are you open to maybe a Commander sized 1911?

If so, I would recommend the Ruger SR1911 Commander pistol in .45 acp...it's a great pistol...runs great...looks great...etc.

Ruger® SR1911® * Centerfire Pistol Models

A friend of mine has a Kimber Officer's Model...she really loves it! I've shot it...one ragged hole at 15' every time!

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    I carry a Para Warthawg. It's a baby 1911 double stack with 10+1 capacity and you can get it with an alloy frame if you want it light weight. Conceals easily, shoots awesome. Feels right.

It's over the price point but pawn shops have them every now and then. Search the sites and you may get lucky, especially if you're not concerned with it being pretty.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I think we are going to head to the gun show this weekend and get some hands on stuff. Definitely going Ron look into the shield and compact 1911's.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    And it's happened. Now have two full size springers in the house. One has to go to make room for something smaller that fits in the car appropriately

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Another vote for XDs. If your desire for a thumb safety isn't an absolute, I would definitely try to shoot it at least before selecting a gun to buy. I was willing to try other carry guns, but after trying several solid guns back-to-back, everyone shooting found the XDs to be fastest and most accurate. Nothing against the other guns (all great options) but if you happen to have similar preferences to me, it's just a fast and accurate gun. 1911 grip angle, backstrap safety, all things you will likely be familiar with.

Top Bottom