• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    Just ran across the recipe for Ed's Red Bore Cleaner and thought I would share it with other members. It's 1 part DextronII automatic transmission fluid, ! part K-1 Kerosene ! part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits, and 1 part Acetone. Make sure you mix it up outside where it is well ventilated. Works better than some of the commercial bore solvents.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    I use it all the time. Some say the aliphatic mineral spirits are the same as odorless mineral spirits, paint dept. at hardware store. I don't wear gloves when I clean guns. However, I find that Ed's Red really is gentle to the skin on my hands. Not claimed to be a copper remover. Works great cleaning ARs. Use for pistols that have fired cast lead bullets.

Last edited:

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    The Acetone is great for removing plastic wad residue from shot gun barrels. Careful with it on poly guns or just leave it out.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I use it quite a bit myself. I left the acetone out of the mix so I didn't have to worry about it messing up finishes. Reading I did a decade ago indicated that iacetone would evaporate through the side of a plastic bottle anyway. So I keep a small glass jar and add acetone when I refill it. Some recipes suggest adding lanolin to the mix to leave the surfaces more slippery after the solvents evaporate.
    --Rick

Crandall Crank

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2017
    Southern IN
    Been using it for years. Be sure to store it in a metal can, or a plastic container made of either PET or PVC. DO NOT store it in a HDPE or LDPE container. It will soften it and leak.

Gunsmiff12B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 13, 2016
    South bend
    We used this stuff in school all the time when we got guns in that were gummed up beyond cleaning. I had a Remington model 10 that has so much junk on the bolt I left it in there for a week, and it ate everything right off of it.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Made up 5 gallons over 15 years ago and have about 1 gallon left. IIRC cost me less than what a 1/2 gallon of any other non-copper bore cleaner would have cost and it works great at removing EVERYTHING BUT copper fouling.

What I have been doing for about 10-12 years now is do a good first cleaning with ED's Red to get most of the carbon build up out then wipe out the bore with acetone then soak 1-3hrs with Shooters Choice Wipe-Out brushless foaming bore cleaner. Has cut the number of patches I use by 90%.

Ed's is a great all around firearm and parts cleaner. But you have to #1-store it in an air tight container that MUST be solvent proof if plastic. I use 1 gallon and 5 gallon
    plastic gasoline cans. If not air tight the acetone will evaporate reducing the solvents effectiveness.

Top Bottom