• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    In our family for over 80 years or so. The numbers of Mauser rifles listed in the Blue Book has given me crossed eyes and headaches.

Were all Sportified Mausers originally military actions or was there inventory specifically built for the hunting marketplace?
    The bolt and magazine floorplate are jeweled. The bluing is 90% and the bore is flawless.

Do I have a diamond in the rough here or just another ho-hum clone?

As always, I bow to the collective brain trust that is INGO !

thumbnail_IMG_8118.jpg thumbnail_IMG_8119.jpg thumbnail_IMG_8120.jpg thumbnail_IMG_8121.jpg thumbnail_IMG_8122.jpg thumbnail_IMG_8123.jpg

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    What you have would have come in full battle dress but was sporterized at some time in it's life.

Sporterized versions are never worth the listed price as listed in the 'books'. The value is based on the quality of the conversions. Since this is a family gun the heritage is the value to the owner.

Use it and enjoy, that is where the value is found...

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yes, some beautiful sporterized military rifles like this one were made in LONG ago times when there were tons of military surplus rifles coming out of our ears in good original condition to build them on.
    But those days of plenty are long gone.

Today though, taking an old military rifle in good original condition and PERMANENTLY altering it in a way that it can't be put back original to make a "sporter", makes as much sense as taking an original '34 Ford 3 Window Coupe in good condition and making it into a hot rod.

YES, people who own these today are free to do this, BOTH would still make me cringe though. :crying:

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Sorry about the necro posting.
    Research has me convinced that there were "commercial" Sporters produced by Mauser for the hunting marketplace. Not all Sporters were conversions of battle dress units. Another question mark is to the lack of a front sight?

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Sorry about the necro posting.
    Research has me convinced that there were "commercial" Sporters produced by Mauser for the hunting marketplace. Not all Sporters were conversions of battle dress units. Another question mark is to the lack of a front sight?
    Yes you are correct, but mostly know for there battle rifles

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Rebarreling was common among the conversions but yours has the original barrel used to sit in the full battle dress furniture. This point would tend to have one believe it was a conversion.

A lack of a front site is also not uncommon, both military and commercial. The '03 A4 is a good example of this.

If your desire is to believe this is is a commercial offering, go for it. But to have someone else be compelled to believe it would require provenance, serial number blocks etc.

Even then it was illegal for a German company to produce a commercial rifle in a military caliber and it will take some explaining why a mid century stock got on a commercial rifle made in the early teens...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Also, it is a bit mind bending to think a German facility would take time and resources to produce a commercial weapon right in the middle of a war which was requiring all manufacturers to turn to because of the war effort.

These are just my thoughts, you are more than able to make up your own mind. My advice is to look for provenance of some kind. Normally when I do this, I find reasons to change my preconceived notions.

Top Bottom