• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Of course I happened to come across this today as well.... New AK47 Magazine 7.62x39 Steel (30rd)-AK4730STL

Made in Croatia with bolt hold open followers for $120 shipped for a 10 pack. That's too good not to try out.

Those are good quality but will be very tight. I ordered some a while back and they would only fit one of five AKs I tried them in. Googl croatian fleur de lis mags.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Those are good quality but will be very tight. I ordered some a while back and they would only fit one of five AKs I tried them in. Googl croatian fleur de lis mags.

From the description on PSA's website I think they're the same mags I just received from J&G sales. I spent some time last night scraping paint off my new Croatian mags and using a file on the parts that showed any sign of wear. I'm hoping to get out and test them some time soon. Just need a little time at the range......

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    So today I got a chance to get out and run my bolt hold open mags from J&Guns. I was using a DDI, and a M92 Pap. Keep in mind I only filed enough material or scraped enough paint to get the mags to lock into the guns. All my croatian mags either had failures to feed, or failures to hold the bolt open. I wish I'd have never bought them and these new ones coming in from PSA may just get tucked away as a long term investment. I can't say enough about dissappointed I was in those mags. Hopefully my Polish surplus mags do a better job.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I genuinely hope your luck is better than mine as well. For now, those mags will be labeled, boxed up, and put somewhere out of sight and out of mind.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I genuinely hope your luck is better than mine as well. For now, those mags will be labeled, boxed up, and put somewhere out of sight and out of mind.

Have to ask... did you clean the mags (inside) before trying them? I noticed mine had a pretty good coat of oil on them and I plan on hosing them down with brake cleaner and then giving them a light spray of lubricant before I use them. Just wondered if that oil was causing your problems.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I took a towel and wiped down the outside. What oil was on the outside was a very light thin amount. I didn't take them apart and check the insides of the mags, but paid attention to how it felt when loading them and they seemed fine. I did have oen mag in the bunch that seemed like it was too wide at the feed lips and like I was having two rounds trying to come up side by side at the same time. In any case, I'm done with those mags. I'll show them to some AK people I know and get their thoughts & opinions, but these will not be used for anything besides malfunction training at best.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Polish mags came in last night. I only had time to try one out. Locked into first AK like a champ, borderline ideal/perfect fit. Same magazine in a different AK wouldn't completely lock into place. The paint on these mags looks perfect, and thick. I didn't take a file to these mags.... yet. I'll report back when I spend some more time getting these mags checked out.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I'm interested to see what you find. I've got a few of these still in the vci wrap.

It's been a few days but I finally had a chance to play with the Hungarian 30 round mags. They are indeed like new with no noticeable wear. They have the slightly rough finish like the 20 round tanker mags which seems to be very durable. Came well packed from What A Country with fast shipping. AK-47 30-Round Magazine - Hungarian

I have not gotten to the range with them yet but did some test fitting. Tried them in a variety of AKs from Bulgaria, Russia, Romania, Hungary & Croatia and all were good fit with minimal wobble.

Pughead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    It's been a few days but I finally had a chance to play with the Hungarian 30 round mags. They are indeed like new with no noticeable wear. They have the slightly rough finish like the 20 round tanker mags which seems to be very durable. Came well packed from What A Country with fast shipping. AK-47 30-Round Magazine - Hungarian

I have not gotten to the range with them yet but did some test fitting. Tried them in a variety of AKs from Bulgaria, Russia, Romania, Hungary & Croatia and all were good fit with minimal wobble.
    I never paid attention to the manufacturer. As long as its made of steel and has a ribbed back it will probably work. So I'd say you did good.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I never paid attention to the manufacturer. As long as its made of steel and has a ribbed back it will probably work. So I'd say you did good.

then you're missing out on chinese flat back mags, which IMO are the best steel AK mags ever made ;)

and you're also including the new production korean mags which are basically the worst AK mags you can buy ;)

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    When I was sorting the new mags I came across some "Chugo" mags I forgot I had. Ordered these from Aim a while back. They were sold as yugo mags but apparently were chinese mags imported into a Croatia then exported to the US. Flat back goodness.

tomylee0123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Lafayette
    Any metal mag works fine as long as not those cheap korean mags. Chinese flatback mags work best for me. Croatian works great for low cost but some minor modification is needed. $14 Bulgarian mags from CDNNsports are also good mags.

Top Bottom