• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    In the last month or so we’ve cracked open several eggs (more than 5) that have had double yokes in them. They are the “jumbo” size but that seems odd to me. Just curious what others’ experience has been...or should I have been buying lottery tickets all this time?

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Depending on which side of my family you talk to, someone close to you is pregnant or good fortune is on the way! Of coarse the other says it means a death.
    Superstitions are funny things. One palm itching is money coming in, the other is money going out. A bird in the house also means death. Ear itching, then someone is talking about you, but if it’s your nose, then company is coming.
    The best part is, on a long enough timeline, all of these predictions will come true!

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    When I was raising chickens, double yolks were fairly common. I'd say we'd get 2-3 per dozen we collected from the 6 we raised. Love those double yolks!

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    71e921f26868f5890804e75aaadc16da5c40143677a34f3fcf5f68e3a007547f_1.jpg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    When I was raising chickens, double yolks were fairly common. I'd say we'd get 2-3 per dozen we collected from the 6 we raised. Love those double yolks!

My brother has chickens and he’s mentioned getting them from time to time too. But this is pretty new for us I’m thinking. I’m wondering if they no longer sort them out at (whatever you call the chicken egg factory :) )?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I remember seeing those all the time when I was a kid. Mom would buy some weird super jumbo size eggs. many if not most had doubles. They were huge compared to regular eggs. Eventually they stopped selling them because the FDA said "you cant sell them because we havent created such a thing as super jumbo standard.

I presume afterward the producers just started sending those bigger eggs to the line that cracked them into the quart cartons of egg whites, yolks, scrambles, etc. since they couldnt sell them at a premium anymore.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I raise some chickens. There are many odd egg variations that can happen when the hen is new to laying or having health/nutrition problems. In my limited experience, double yolks are most common when they are very new to laying. Young hens can also lay fairy eggs or fart eggs- small eggs with no yolk. These mostly happen early on when their reproductive system is getting the kinks worked out.

As the hen continues laying, the system generally smooths out and they deliver pretty consistent eggs, but disease or nutritional problems can also alter them. The most common variations are thin-shelled or even shell-less eggs (containing the inner lining, yolk and white only) if the hen doesn't get enough calcium. Other oddities are odd coloring (ex: spotted or partially white, partially brown) and bumps/rough area on the shell (just additional calcium). The public will hardly see any of these issues because they are rejected before loading egg cartons.

A red spot on the yolk and/or a cluster of red veins indicate that it was fertilized. Not really a problem unless you are squeamish about it.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Used to shoot muzzleloaders with a guy who was a egg farmer. He said a lot of times younger hens will lay double yolks just as a manner of course. The company he sold his eggs to didn't want them so he'd bring in dozens of them to the matches, free for the taking.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Used to shoot muzzleloaders with a guy who was a egg farmer. He said a lot of times younger hens will lay double yolks just as a manner of course. The company he sold his eggs to didn't want them so he'd bring in dozens of them to the matches, free for the taking.

Curious how he would know? All the same hens? Candle them first? Curious minds want to know.

A friend just got chicks at her new country home and will be raising them for eggs. Cant wait to buy from her. Nothing like the taste of fresh free range chicken eggs. I used to buy them from 88GT, but she lost several to critters and doesnt sell them anymore. (I think now with the smaller flock she doesnt have extras)

Top Bottom