• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I am looking for a new house. One of the candidates is very nice and has everything we want, except one thing- a 4th bedroom.

A little background- I am a very competent DIYer with (almost) all the tools. I can frame walls, do electrical and plumbing, hang and finish drywall and do finish carpentry- done all those since I was a kid. What I have never done is cut a gaping hole in a basement wall.

This house has a dry, 9' walled (poured) unfinished basement. What I would like to do (if I end up buying it) is add a bedroom and an open room as well as wall off the mechanicals into a utility/storage room. I have read the code- sill no more than 44" from finished floor. By the way, has anyone ever heard of permanently installing a step or a ledge of some sort in the inside to make the 44" requirement?

Window opening at least 20" wide, at least 24" tall and at least 5.7 sq feet in total area. I would probably put in a dedicated egress window to just meet the code, so I would be considering a finished opening of 22.5/29.5 with about a 30 by 42 rough opening. I know the window well has to be at least 36" X 36" with 9 sq feet floor area and if it's more than 44" deep, needs a permanent;y attached ladder or step.

OK- what I am looking for is any DIY experience with this project. I am not afraid of the project, but before I buy myself a project just because I like everything else about the house, I want to know what I am getting into. Any experiences would be appreciated.

Before you say "just look for another house" Houses with 4 bedrooms on acreage appropriate for mini horses and the addition of a pole barn (or one already), out in the country (for what I want to pay)...are not growing on trees in Porter County.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Sawing into the poured basement wall sounds like it's more than even an accomplished DIY'er should do...

Unless your day job is concrete work to begin with.

Not to totally dissuade you...but something this important may very well be left to the professionals.

Just make a few calls to home builders / remodelers and ask for an in-general price quote on adding an egress window to an existing basement wall.

Probably a few thousand bucks + the window - but their bonding insurance may make it worth it if wild problems suddenly appear.

-J-

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That is an astute observation. :yesway: :D

That's what makes me such good management material--my mastery of the obvious. :laugh:

I've never done it myself, but I've seen it done on other people's homes. I've done quite a bit of DIY stuff too and this is one job I'd contract out. It's not just the cutting of the hole, it's the drainage concerns (disturbing existing and the new potential problems you would cause), and structural issues that could be created. So far as the finish work is concerned, yeah I'd be up for that stuff.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Fire code everywhere I know of requires an egress directly from each bedroom, and it's a good idea even if there's no code where you are. Think about finding a fire between you and the way out. The place sounds lovely; I'd do it. Going to be getting into concrete sawing there? Of course, you also have to presume a bearing wall and all that goodness. Also watch your grade.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The concrete sawing is the only thing I believe I would contract out. I feel very comfortable with all other aspects, including the drainage and grading (though to would have a full cover on the well). This is not my first "lets keep a dry basement dry" rodeo.

Also, as to the load to be carried, I would obviously put in a header, but the wall is parallel to the floor joists, so it is carrying no floor load, only the exterior wall, and it is one story at that place.

Back in school, I worked at an equipment rental store in Valpo and used to teach other people how to use small excavators, so I'm pretty confident I can handle digging the hole...but I also have 4 kids, one of which is a 17 year old son (whose room this would be), so shovels and a couple days may be the direction I go.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    If the house is in a rural area, I'm assuming that it has a septic system.

I would never finish out a basement in a house on city sewers before I was absolutely sure there was no way for the sewers to back up into the basement.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Not too bad of a job. I would suggest hiring a concrete cutter to make a nice clean opening, then it sounds like you can handle the rest. Good luck.
    let me know if you need any help.

WilsonMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 31, 2014
    Crown Point
    Sub out the concrete cutting. They have saws that will cut all the way through in one pass and that makes for a very nice job. I have done it by hand before and it is very labor intensive with a small jackhammer and a gas saw. You will get enough of a workout digging the hole. Make sure to dig all the way down to the foundation so you can tie in a piece of draintile.

Call Litgen Concrete Cutting. I have used them and was happy. Find out how much room they need to setup their equipment, you will probably have to over dig the sides.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Lots of high dollar new construction around here has an egress window in the basement to get an extra bedroom or full living quarters for the in-laws/college aged kid. I think it's a great idea, but the step up to meet the 44" is an unknown to me. I've never seen that done in some of the homes we've went through. Personally, I'd sub out the initial excavation and concrete cutting.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I'm going to have one installed in my basement next spring. To avoid structural issue, I'm making an existing glass block window taller. I will be farming out the digging and concrete block cutting just to be on the safe and warranty side.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Just a couple of points.
    Do sub out the cutting of the concrete. You will not want to deal with the mess involved in the act of cutting.

Your outlined experience is more than enough to see you through this project, but do yourself a few favors.

Do NOT install a "dedicated" egress window. By this I mean one that is not meant to open unless in an emergency.
    If the seal is broken on these windows, it usually requires a factory rep. to reseal it. Read expense.
    Instead, install an operating window with a CLEAR OPENING that meets egress requirements.

When you dig the window well, either tie into a perimeter drain, or dig deeper than the foundation and install a "dry well". Use either tar or another water-proofing material on the outside of the portion of the foundation wall that has been exposed. Fill the hole with progressively smaller stone, rip-rap on bottom and river-rock on top. This will ensure proper drainage. Set the bottom of your window no less than 6" from the floor of the well.

Ideally you will pour the window well walls in solid concrete. The walls can be shored back with timber or block, but if one of these methods are used, be prepared for hydronic pressure to **** you of, eventually.

A permanent step or bench is common. I've installed a "widow seat" with storage under the seat in several homes in such occasions.

Ask the concrete cutter about setting a steel header plate for you at the same time. It's cleaner looking than wood, and easier to maintain.

Good luck.

locki433

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    We were looking into this. It was between 5-7k from what I remember to have the egress put in professionaly.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    We were looking into this. It was between 5-7k from what I remember to have the egress put in professionaly.

Under normal circumstances, I would call that estimate completely out of bounds.
    Unless you're installing a gold-plated window, you should be able to have the entire job completed, PROFESSIONALLY, for half that cost.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Under normal circumstances, I would call that estimate completely out of bounds.
    Unless you're installing a gold-plated window, you should be able to have the entire job completed, PROFESSIONALLY, for half that cost.

That's closer to what I have been finding.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

Boy, I would LOVE to be able to find reasonable prices!!!

$6,000 to install about 300 square of tile. That's if I SUPPLY THE MATERIALS!!!

Two, maybe three days of work, and people want six grand?!? For labor only?!? I'm in the wrong field.

Top Bottom