• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S

shogun199328

What’s everyone’s opinion on elderly person pistol options. Something simple, reliable, economical and not too much recoil. I’m thinking 38 spl revolver.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    First will it be a carry gun or house gun? I am 76 and have Rheumatoid Arthritis in both hands and wrist. I can still rack the slide in a few 9mm, S&W Shield + some small Rugers. I carry the Shield most but can see the time when I will carry a small frame revolver with a 3 inch barrel. If your gun will be house only then a 6 shot 4" barreled revolver is a point and shoot, very few moving parts. Granted a .38 special is not a effective as the newer 9mm loads but as is often said any gun is better than no gun. Good luck, but practice both safety and marksmanship as often as possible.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

I would give this a look , same features as the EZ series but with more ammo. Even has cuts for optics if the shooter likes.
    That would be a great choice for many but for the bass ackwards grip safety.. I've found that many new shooters have problems with that setup because they haven't learned to get high on the grip and until they get that ingrained they have intermittent FTFs because they don't have the safety depressed all the way.

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    I am not really what you would call elderly (92 come April) but I regularly shoot the following:
    Kimber 1911 frame with an Advantage arms .22lr conversion. (incredibly accurate}
    STI Trojan 1911 9mm {incredibly accurate}
    Sig P322 (not incredibly accurate but fun}
    Sig 320 M17 9mm. (very good trigger for a striker fired gun}
    IWI Masada 9mm (best striker fired trigger I have ever felt}

I have had to give up on open sights but am having excellent luck with
    Holosun circle/dot optics.

CB1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 27, 2018
    Putnam County
    My parents were never gun people but never objected to us boys becoming interested in guns, shooting sports, or hunting, as we had many close relatives who were.

As we got older and moved away, our parents were wise to want something available for home protection. So when I left home I left my Dad a Taurus 38 special along with some very basic training. A few years passed and I switched the Taurus out and gave my Dad my S&W 65 3" revolver.

15 years ago Dad wanted some live fire training on his S&W 65 3". We went over the basics and handling, some dry fire, then he fired my 158 lswc handloads double action only at 3/5/7/10 yards. His groups were better than average from what you might see at a public range and he was 75 years of age.

Dad is now 90 and still has the S&W 65 3" and still knows how to use it. It has served him well for home defense and for overnight trips over the years. Dad is not a gun guy and the simplicity and safety of a quality 3 to 4" 38/357 revolver is a perfect match for him. 38 Special is a great cartridge.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    My parents were never gun people but never objected to us boys becoming interested in guns, shooting sports, or hunting, as we had many close relatives who were.

As we got older and moved away, our parents were wise to want something available for home protection. So when I left home I left my Dad a Taurus 38 special along with some very basic training. A few years passed and I switched the Taurus out and gave my Dad my S&W 65 3" revolver.

15 years ago Dad wanted some live fire training on his S&W 65 3". We went over the basics and handling, some dry fire, then he fired my 158 lswc handloads double action only at 3/5/7/10 yards. His groups were better than average from what you might see at a public range and he was 75 years of age.

Dad is now 90 and still has the S&W 65 3" and still knows how to use it. It has served him well for home defense and for overnight trips over the years. Dad is not a gun guy and the simplicity and safety of a quality 3 to 4" 38/357 revolver is a perfect match for him. 38 Special is a great cartridge.
    Totally agree 38 Spl wheel gun is a Good Choice.
    My Wife isn't Elderly, but has RA in both hands & 38 Spl is about all she can handle.
    On a Side Note, Great to hear your Dad is 90 & still Shooting!
    My Dad passed away 12 yrs ago last month.
    Miss him Every Day, so Enjoy every minute You can with Yours.
    Thanks for Sharing!

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    And pin the grip safety or get a slip on grip that holds it down. I hate grip safeties :laugh:

zGuKAdV.jpg

Delta had it right use Goon Tape

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    Nearly 83. EDC - Kimber Ultra Carry in .45. Shoot semi regularly. At one time I was a competitive shooter (USMC Western Division team). Still can hold a 6" group at 15 yards. With practice, I believe we elderly can shoot anything we want to as long as we are comfortable with what we hold. My home defense is a Mossberg 500.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Go to a store/range that has a good selection of rentals and try as much as they can.

Weak/arthritic hands will have an easier time with a full hand on the slide and proper technique than a >10lb trigger with one finger!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I am not really what you would call elderly (92 come April) but I regularly shoot the following:
    Kimber 1911 frame with an Advantage arms .22lr conversion. (incredibly accurate}
    STI Trojan 1911 9mm {incredibly accurate}
    Sig P322 (not incredibly accurate but fun}
    Sig 320 M17 9mm. (very good trigger for a striker fired gun}
    IWI Masada 9mm (best striker fired trigger I have ever felt}

I have had to give up on open sights but am having excellent luck with
    Holosun circle/dot optics.
    :rockwoot:

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    I forgot to add that I am no longer able to shoot a revolver accurately. The arthritis in my right hand keeps me from cocking the gun and I am all over the place double action. Just something to consider.

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    I am 67 and gave my father in law my colt official police .38 4 inch, perfect for him to take to the range, plus its from his generation seeing guard duty at a ship yard during ww11

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    When it comes to more mature shooters it seems there are a few chief issues: hand strength (grip and/or trigger finger), recoil tolerance, stiffness/arthritis can affect manipulations, vision issues. The challenges one has depend on the individual. A revolver isn't always the answer due to the heavy double-action pull. A soft recoiling semi-auto isn't always the answer due to difficulties in manipulation. Tailor the firearm to fit the individual's needs (but that's always the advice, right?).

If we could roll up soft-recoil, easy manipulation, not-too-stiff trigger, and an optic into one handgun, it seems like it would check all the boxes.

Top Bottom