• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    As much as I'd like to see Ron Paul get the GOP nomination, and as much as I'd like to vote for him, he will NEVER get within sniffing distance of the nomination. Should Paul show any signs of life in the early primaries, caucuses and straw polls, he'll be singled out for ridicule and derision just as much by republicans as he will by democrats. He's not a member of "The Big Government Club"
    If I had to put money on it today, I'd bet on a Romney vs Obama race in 2012

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I suspect you could put a rock up against Obama right now, and the rock would poll well. The man has made a career out of being a facade. His tenure in both the state and federal legislatures were marked by mediocrity, making the most out of being half black and portraying those who stood in his way as racist, and doing everything possible to avoid actually being responsible for anything. When it came to actually doing his job, he blended in, made sure he wasn't the one where responsibility lie.

Well, he can't do that anymore. He is the man. There's no one to hide behind, no voting present, no going with the flow. Even his racism crutch is starting to collapse. If there's one good thing his Presidency has done for this country, I think by the time he's gone America will be tired of hearing a millionaire who's never held a real private sector job after getting his Ivy League education, and his millionaire wife with her Ivy League education, tell us all how badly treated minorities are, and how those of us at the bottom of the pile owe them a living. He and his followers have beat the race drum so hard it's being shattered... all that is left is watching his ego collide with reality. He's finally crushing one of the last realms of racism that hasn't already been driven to the lunatic fringe. The best part is that it's the last thing he wants to do.

The euphoria has definitely worn off for a lot of his followers.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I suspect you could put a rock up against Obama right now, and the rock would poll well. The man has made a career out of being a facade. His tenure in both the state and federal legislatures were marked by mediocrity, making the most out of being half black and portraying those who stood in his way as racist, and doing everything possible to avoid actually being responsible for anything. When it came to actually doing his job, he blended in, made sure he wasn't the one where responsibility lie.

Well, he can't do that anymore. He is the man. There's no one to hide behind, no voting present, no going with the flow. Even his racism crutch is starting to collapse. If there's one good thing his Presidency has done for this country, I think by the time he's gone America will be tired of hearing a millionaire who's never held a real private sector job after getting his Ivy League education, and his millionaire wife with her Ivy League education, tell us all how badly treated minorities are, and how those of us at the bottom of the pile owe them a living. He and his followers have beat the race drum so hard it's being shattered... all that is left is watching his ego collide with reality. He's finally crushing one of the last realms of racism that hasn't already been driven to the lunatic fringe. The best part is that it's the last thing he wants to do.

The euphoria has definitely worn off for a lot of his followers.

couldnt have said it better myself

jayincville

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    Perhaps tellingly, just 42% of Republican voters have a favorable view of him, including eight percent (8%) with a very favorable opinion. By comparison, 42% of unaffiliated voters regard him favorably, with 15% very favorable toward him.
    Twenty-six percent (26%) of GOP voters think Paul shares the values of most Republican voters throughout the nation, but 25% disagree. Forty-nine percent (49%) are not sure.
    Similarly, 27% of Republicans see Paul as a divisive force in the party, while 30% view him as a new direction for the GOP. Forty-two percent (42%) aren’t sure.
    Among all voters, 19% say Paul shares the values of most Republican voters, and 27% disagree. Fifty-four percent (54%) are undecided.
    Twenty-one percent (21%) of voters nationwide regard Paul as a divisive force in the GOP. Thirty-four percent (34%) say he is representative of a new direction for the party. Forty-five percent (45%) are not sure.

That's a large percentage that are unsure about Ron Paul. Get him on TV in a live debate and see which way those voters swing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan. I wish he was a better speaker. I wish he could get elected. I just don't think it can happen.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Well, as mentioned above, he will not get the nomination in the primary anyway. At the slightest hint of popularity, he will be marginalized. If he did get the nomination, all those who polled as unsure would get behind him because he is a republican and push him over the top.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan. I wish he was a better speaker. I wish he could get elected. I just don't think it can happen.

He's a better speaker than Bush, and a better speaker than Obama sans teleprompter. That said, I agree that there is something missing, even though I love the guy. That's why we need to draft someone with some personality, who can think on his feet, who knows how to charm a crowd...

Someone like this guy:

225px-Penn_Jillette_in_2007.jpg

:rockwoot:

Rizzo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Wow!

A virtual unknown who's only public exposure has been by negative press from both CNN & FOX news... up against a sitting president and it's within one percentage?

Amazing. I am greatly encouraged. Ron Paul could win!

Freedom is popular. When they hear his message he will really gain support.

And this without his message being heard yet and with most conservatives still believing the lie that Ron Paul wouldn't go after the 911 terrorists which he has repeatedly stated he would.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Go for it. If he wins the nomination, that's all it takes. "Oh, if he runs, he'll be marginalized,' boohooooo, wah, wah. Everybody gets marginalized, McCain, Palin, I remember the Reagan race and the press was like piranha with a beefsteak. You have to show to the public the press is wrong, and you are right. If you can't do that, if you can't win a primary, you can't win a national election. It's not anyone's fault but his. He can't blame the lack of money, he had lots, and the press is always the enemy. He's got to carry it.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Oh boy! A whole thread dedicated to the purpose of bashing Ron Paul. We've never had one of these before.

How is it bashing? He needs to win a frigging election without blaming everyone else. If everytime you lose an election, your supporters claim some conspiracy because YOU, the candidate, cannot connect to the public, then perhaps they're crazy and most people just think you're weird.

jayincville

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    I admit, some people are unabashedly in favor of Ron Paul, some in favor of Sarah Palin, and others for Obama. No matter what those people cannot be moved. But what the media will do to Ron Paul, should he be nominated, will make Palins treatment look mild in comparison.
    He did run for President before, but he was never a real contender. They still marginalized him.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Barack Obama and Ron Paul are as far away from each other politically as any two prominent politicians you could name in this century. To believe that Ron Paul is electable in his lifetime by the same electorate that just elected Obama by a substantial margin demonstrates a complete misunderstanding of how politics works.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    He wouldn't be elected by the same electorate, as you say, his votes would come from the right, the libertarians, etc. I'm just advocating the best case scenario for the US.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    He wouldn't be elected by the same electorate, as you say, his votes would come from the right, the libertarians, etc. I'm just advocating the best case scenario for the US.

Even if you got all Republicans, his election isn't a sure thing, and of course you won't get all Republicans. How many Republicans are even libertarian? I don't know the percentage, but even if it is 70% and you could get that many, how many Democrats are basically libertarian? I haven't personally met any. The people I've met who vote Democrat are anything but economically conservative, and they certainly are not Constitutionalists.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    He's a better speaker than Bush, and a better speaker than Obama sans teleprompter.

In that case McCain is HORRIBLE because Obama made him look out of touch and weak in the debates without the teleprompter everybody says he needs. Personally, I think Obama is a great speaker and that helps him pull in the young crowd and speaking is his strength. Bush was a weak public speaker but had a powerful force behind him and played his strengths to consecutive victories. Ron Paul has some great fiscal plans and very "not Obama" and that will be his strength if he gets the Republican nod. Unfortunately, I still say that he is unelectable to the masses of America even though the majority here seem to like him.

Top Bottom