Electronic Arts severing licensing ties to gun manufacturers, plan to use anyway

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Yet, in the wake of the Newtown shooting, the biggest advocate for gun ownership, the National Rifle Association, took aim at videogames to explain gun violence. One week after 20 schoolchildren and six adults were killed in the shooting, NRA chief executive Wayne LaPierre called the videogame industry "a callous, corrupt and corrupting shadow industry that sells, and sows, violence against its own people."

I don't like this tactic.

"Don't blame our inanimate objects...BLAME THEIRS!"

"Guns don't kill people. Video games kill people!"

Not convincing.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I don't like this tactic.

"Don't blame our inanimate objects...BLAME THEIRS!"

"Guns don't kill people. Video games kill people!"

Not convincing.

What would you prefer? :dunno:

and BTW I was a hard-core FPS PC gamer and now play every now and then. But for over 15 years I played video games.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Not sure how the courts will rule that it is ok to violate copyrights, based on a perception of 'goodness' vs 'badness'. Good luck with that.

darrin5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    I am going get to get blasted for this I am sure but hey who gives a s**t, IMO I think when you get someone that is unstable such as Lanza or whatever his name is that had absolutley nothing but time on his side, sat for hours and hours playing video games killing the enemy, zombies and other players he was playing against I can't help but think that people won't in some way think hey this is fun but I bet real life would be better. I am not saying it is a primary cause but it can't help, after all they are blaming tragedy on an item that if not touched, picked up, fired or any other thing it was made for will set in that exact spot for an eternity UNTIL it is touched the gun didn't jump up and run out of the house lookin for trouble, so if you want to blame the gun you better blame the game, Thanks and fire away!!!!!!!!!:ar15:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    so if you want to blame the gun you better blame the game, Thanks and fire away!!!!!!!!!:ar15:

And if you want to blame the game you better blame the gun. Right? He's shooting himself in the foot with this logic.

Blame the person.

Gun control advocates aren't stupid. They will see through this crap and expose it as hypocrisy and simply make the NRA (and us, unfortunately) look stupid.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I am going get to get blasted for this I am sure but hey who gives a s**t, IMO I think when you get someone that is unstable such as Lanza or whatever his name is that had absolutley nothing but time on his side, sat for hours and hours playing video games killing the enemy, zombies and other players he was playing against I can't help but think that people won't in some way think hey this is fun but I bet real life would be better. I am not saying it is a primary cause but it can't help, after all they are blaming tragedy on an item that if not touched, picked up, fired or any other thing it was made for will set in that exact spot for an eternity UNTIL it is touched the gun didn't jump up and run out of the house lookin for trouble, so if you want to blame the gun you better blame the game, Thanks and fire away!!!!!!!!!:ar15:

Do you see violent movies the same? Is it your opinion that both should be halted in the interest of public safety? I don't think we can should stop the world just so a few delusional people have to find other reasons than those for their actions.

darrin5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    My only thought to my reply was that, there are those out there they can be influenced through such things such as graphic video games, movies and our government to act out what they are seeing and feeling while entrenched in such activities. I was not saying I am against the games and guns cause they are both present in my house now, I was just saying that I can see where these few idiots can get so involved with these games that it can go from the living room to the streets. The key to life is instilled in our up bringing IMO, not that all tragic up bringing's in youths don't make a better person out of some but there are those it destroys and thus we have conversations such as this.

Beardown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Southern Indy
    Do you see violent movies the same? Is it your opinion that both should be halted in the interest of public.

There is a difference between video games and movies. Movies are a passive form of violence. You simply see/hear it. Video games are much more of an active experience. You are moving around. You are aiming. You are shooting. While it's all simulated, it's still more active than movies. That being said, blaming the video games is a little silly. I'm sure it doesn't help, but I agree that we as gun owners need to make better arguments to support our side

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    I am not advocating the banning of video games or even government regulation of them, but there is a difference to some children who cannot separate reality from fiction. Government regulation should not happen, but parents need to be more aware that some children may not have the ability to separate fiction from reality. They believe this was a possibility with Adam Lanza:

The Hartford Courant reported today that detectives are probing whether Lanza may have been copying a scenario from one of those video games as he fired rounds from his mother's Bushmaster assault rifle in two classrooms at Sandy Hook Elementary School on December 14.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    My only thought to my reply was that, there are those out there they can be influenced through such things such as graphic video games, movies and our government to act out what they are seeing and feeling while entrenched in such activities. I was not saying I am against the games and guns cause they are both present in my house now, I was just saying that I can see where these few idiots can get so involved with these games that it can go from the living room to the streets. The key to life is instilled in our up bringing IMO, not that all tragic up bringing's in youths don't make a better person out of some but there are those it destroys and thus we have conversations such as this.

I agree.

There is a difference between video games and movies. Movies are a passive form of violence. You simply see/hear it. Video games are much more of an active experience. You are moving around. You are aiming. You are shooting. While it's all simulated, it's still more active than movies. That being said, blaming the video games is a little silly. I'm sure it doesn't help, but I agree that we as gun owners need to make better arguments to support our side

True, but also true is movies can also be very exciting and more lifelike. I agree with you for the most part.

We should go back to Pong and Gidget movies.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I got to go with the folks I normally disagree with on this one....If you are willing to commit such a heinous act it was much more than a video game that got you to do so...I love the Bible and Bluegrass music and both have more than their fair share of violence, murder, and mayhem and many times fans of both these genres will be the first to trash Rap music or the video game industry when the subject of violence comes up...

The world is a violent place and Grimm's Fairy Tales (as they were written) are some of the most violent, gruesome stories ever told...I mean really messed up (Jack is growing up, his "beanstalk" is getting bigger and he has to battle the male "giant" to protect his dear mother? Oedipus anyone?) Even Hansel and Gretel makes Silence of the Lambs look like Disney's Little Mermaid.

IMHO ofcourse

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I am not advocating the banning of video games or even government regulation of them, but there is a difference to some children who cannot separate reality from fiction. Government regulation should not happen, but parents need to be more aware that some children may not have the ability to separate fiction from reality. They believe this was a possibility with Adam Lanza:

I would say that many or our national problems grow from the root cause of parents failing to raise their children. Of course, on the other hand, administering discipline is illegal in practice if not letter of the law, particularly with the extreme authority and minimal accountability of CPS.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This has nothing to do with guns or gun control.
    It has everything to do with making more profit.
    They are cutting their expenses, and hoping no one will call them on it.

Top Bottom