• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Ive been looking at electronic ear protection lately and wanted your guys thoughts...what the best bang for my buck?

I bought mine for $25, It great cause you don't have to remove your hearing protection to talk & risk someone shooting their guns, BUT the con's are (1) They bump into the butt-stock when I'm shooting a rifle. I like using ear-plugs for rifle shooting (2)When it's hot & sunny, your ears can sweat (3) If you don't go shooting much, you have to remove the battery, you don't battery leaking & damaging your headset:twocents:

Kveldulf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Tippecanoe County
    I heard from a buddy of mine that you can get electronic ear plugs at music stores. I don't know how effective they'd be for shooting, though. Worth investigating.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Best bang for your buck? I like these muffs A LOT. I bought mine because of this review. This member knows his stuff. I trust him completely.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-review_radians_proamp_electronic_earpro.html

An update to that thread two years later:

esrice and I have used the Radians for several classes and most trips to the range. I've become a bit disappointed in the reliability of the headsets.

Of the two sets I own, one has lost one side completely and two other sides are 'hissy'. The battery life seems short (meaning I tend to replace the batteries before any class or significant range event). I'm using them for now but want to upgrade someday. I know they were not the higher-end sets, but I expected a bit more life from them.

I've added 'Nicer pair of electronic muffs' to my gear wish list! :yesway: (Ed. note: My gear list is always bigger than my available bank account! :()

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    An update to that thread two years later:

esrice and I have used the Radians for several classes and most trips to the range. I've become a bit disappointed in the reliability of the headsets.

Of the two sets I own, one has lost one side completely and two other sides are 'hissy'. The battery life seems short (meaning I tend to replace the batteries before any class or significant range event). I'm using them for now but want to upgrade someday. I know they were not the higher-end sets, but I expected a bit more life from them.

I've added 'Nicer pair of electronic muffs' to my gear wish list! :yesway: (Ed. note: My gear list is always bigger than my available bank account! :()

Really? Well crap. Esrice steered me wrong for the first time!

:D

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Really? Well crap. Esrice steered me wrong for the first time!

Mine still work just fine. :D The thin material that covers the headband has torn on one side however.

I too will replace the batteries before a class, just in case. I like being able to access the battery compartment from the outside.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Mine still work just fine. :D The thin material that covers the headband has torn on one side however.

I too will replace the batteries before a class, just in case. I like being able to access the battery compartment from the outside.

Ahh. So it's just the user! Gotcha ;)

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    has anyone used the cheap caldwell brands that you find at walmart and rural king?

I'm tempted to buy their 'low profile' pair for $25 to $30, depending on where you get them.

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Go with the Howard Leight Impact. I own a pair and they are very nice. They do not hurt my ears after wearing them for a long time. I can also fit my face on the buttstock without these little guys getting in the way. I cant promise this with all rifles, but they work for me. They also have a 4 hour auto shut off witch is really nice when you forget to turn them off. With a 350 hour run time these will last you all year before you need to change your battery's, even if you forget to turn them off. I think I paid 55ish for mine. I paid more for my Oakley's then I did for these little guys.

If your into it you can also hook up a MP3 or Ipod into them for a little music while shooting. Not my cup of tea but it what ever gets some people off.

Top Bottom