• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I appreciate his response. I only hope that when push comes to shove and the heat is turned up, that he remains firm. In the mean time, I intend to send him a thank you. :yesway:

Bishop

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Waynetown Area
    While I applaud the Sheriff's standpoint here, I wonder why it is just now being made public? Could the fact that gun control legislation is getting shot down cause people to jump on the bandwagon and say they've been there all along? I do not know this man and don't know what type of person he is. Just bringing up the point.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    While I applaud the Sheriff's standpoint here, I wonder why it is just now being made public? Could the fact that gun control legislation is getting shot down cause people to jump on the bandwagon and say they've been there all along? I do not know this man and don't know what type of person he is. Just bringing up the point.

This has been his position for quite some time. It was just publicized again due to his appearance at a pro-gun rally in South Bend this weekend. There have been a couple of other incidences where he came down on the right side of things.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    That is great he is on our side. It certainly helps.

However, when it comes to draconian new gun laws, I fear they will be enforced by bigger fishes in the pond............ Like the Feds, who rule FFL owners completely.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    I was talking to an IN sheriff a couple of months about the CO sheriffs and what they are doing. The Indiana Sheriffs Association(?) is very constitutionally oriented. If push comes to shove they aren't backing Obama up. Some, probably most will not join in actively enforcing gun laws, but sit on the sidelines doing nothing.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    This is the guy that told the Fed's to pound sand when they wanted to raid and harrass the raw milk dairy farmer, isn't it? If so, he's got a pretty good base of support, I hear.

Boonl1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    This is why Sheriff's and Prosecutors should be elected officials: we elect them to exercize their reasoned discretion, not to blindly enforce every law on the books.

Boonl1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    So picking and choosing is OK with you, I thought we already had this in the White House, but the agenda is entirely different.

If you want your tax dollars used to prosecute citizens for going 2 mph over the speed limit, for crossing a street against a signal, for removing a matress tag or selling a car on a Sunday, then you deserve an appointed Sheriff and Prosecutor who are not subject to the will of the electorate.

Last edited:

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    He takes an oath to uphold the laws, both the laws of the country, state, & county. Not to pick and choose as to which ones he thinks is important or just.

Now then if he would work to get the law changed or done away with that is an entirely different story.

As stated in an earlier post, wonder what action he would take towards someone carrying into the county building?

How's it work for all the rest of us only obeying which laws we wish?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Read your link carefully, it states "without a signed warrant" he would arrest.

Which they didn't have...

If the Sheriff believes a law violates the Constitution, isn't it his duty to not enforce it. He took an Oath after all.

Top Bottom