• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Numerous newspaper articles & local TV station segments regarding this from the time it occurred through the trial/sentencing and to this weekend. All that I have personally seen are in regard to the poor kids and how unjust their sentences are except a couple short ones dealing with the homeowner. Outrage by the kids families, friends, and supporters... You know, they are really good kids that just made a mistake- they didn't mean for anyone to get hurt.

Especially themselves.

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    These kids deserve what they got! Their school mates even said if they had not broken into that house that their friend would be alive and they would not be in prison. They knew the chances of finding someone home and they lost.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    These kids deserve what they got! Their school mates even said if they had not broken into that house that their friend would be alive and they would not be in prison. They knew the chances of finding someone home and they lost.
    Exactly IMHO . Trouble seems to be that personal responsibility doesn't seem to be part of the equation anymore.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I guess I'm feeling a little soft-hearted this morning. I think it's sad such a result happened and because of that, they'll pay a heavy price. But a person is dead. It's nobody's fault but their own. I do not fault the homeowner, the judge, or the jury. I do not fault the law...but I do find some sadness that at those ages, they've doomed themselves to 50 years in prison.

Steel yourself! If the homeowner hadn't been armed, who knows what evil these jackasses would have perpetrated?

If the homeowner had shot faster, no one would be going to DOC...

They should count their blessings to still be wasting our oxygen.

As for the media, just wait until the owner/publisher has a home invasion/carjacking. Then we'll see how charitable they are when it's NOT at someone else's expense.

Noland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    N IN
    It was reported back when this first happened that when the homeowner confronted them, none of them initially fled and one of them even grabbed a knife from the kitchen. They only left when he started shooting.

The coverage has gradually shifted from a justified shooting to a pity fest for the criminals.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It was reported back when this first happened that when the homeowner confronted them, none of them initially fled and one of them even grabbed a knife from the kitchen. They only left when he started shooting.

The coverage has gradually shifted from a justified shooting to a pity fest for the criminals.

Seems HO did everything he could before defending himself. They chose to stay.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    No problem at all with these 4 being charged with murder, nor the length of the sentences.

How 'bout THIS 'concept' - don't perpetrate crimes. Then this never becomes an issue.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    They whole basis of the break in was to "Get some easy money." That's the whole problem! People want something for nothing and now their kids are following that example. If I wanted some money when I was their age, it was never easy. Shoveled snow, mowed lawns, did whatever I could but the only easy money I got was on my birthday and Christmas.

With generation after generation getting .gov handouts, it will only get worse. Even the decent kids see the opportunity for "easy cash" brought to them by the lowlifes on the next block. It is spreading like wildfire. And most of the people have the mentality of "It's not my fault because ........." so nothing will happen to me.

They will learn their lesson eventually.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I guess here I part ways with most in this thread. None of those four surviving scumbags murdered anyone. Homeowner had a good shoot, he did not murder anyone. One scumbag criminal is dead thanks to the righteous actions of the home owner, which I 100% fully support. I can't support those four b@st@ards being charged with felony murder as none of them murdered anyone. I understand prosecutors are within their option to level this charge because there is legislation that supports it, I just don't agree with it. In my view they may as well be charged also with stealing the space shuttle, which they also did not do.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    They whole basis of the break in was to "Get some easy money." That's the whole problem! People want something for nothing and now their kids are following that example. If I wanted some money when I was their age, it was never easy. Shoveled snow, mowed lawns, did whatever I could but the only easy money I got was on my birthday and Christmas.

With generation after generation getting .gov handouts, it will only get worse. Even the decent kids see the opportunity for "easy cash" brought to them by the lowlifes on the next block. It is spreading like wildfire. And most of the people have the mentality of "It's not my fault because ........." so nothing will happen to me.

They will learn their lesson eventually.
    I grew up on a farm. When extra help was needed for baling hay, picking rocks, or whatever all it took was a couple phone calls or a quick trip to the "main square" in town. MOST kids were eager because that is the only way they got any spending money. Many of my friends had after school/Saturday jobs even in jr. hi. Very, very few had everything they wanted simply given to them. Today we have far too many adults that have never worked a day in their lives.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I grew up on a farm. When extra help was needed for baling hay, picking rocks, or whatever all it took was a couple phone calls or a quick trip to the "main square" in town. MOST kids were eager because that is the only way they got any spending money. Many of my friends had after school/Saturday jobs even in jr. hi. Very, very few had everything they wanted simply given to them. Today we have far too many adults that have never worked a day in their lives.

Man I hated bailing hay. We didn't own any hay fields so we would follow the farmer out and pick bales while he processed. Never seemed to fail that the farmer would cut a deal with the parents for me to stay on and help him with the rest of the fields. They got a discount and I helped the family get a discount. Farmer never paid me.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I guess here I part ways with most in this thread. None of those four surviving scumbags murdered anyone. Homeowner had a good shoot, he did not murder anyone. One scumbag criminal is dead thanks to the righteous actions of the home owner, which I 100% fully support. I can't support those four b@st@ards being charged with felony murder as none of them murdered anyone. I understand prosecutors are within their option to level this charge because there is legislation that supports it, I just don't agree with it. In my view they may as well be charged also with stealing the space shuttle, which they also did not do.
    I didn't know a shuttle had been stolen. I do know a home invasion resulting in death did occur. In many ways it does seem harsh but it is the law. I have no doubt that had they gotten away with the crime, it would not have been their last and only God knows what those future crimes would have escalated to. At least for now these young people will not be on the street. I for one am sick and tired of crimes being committed by people with lengthy records including felonies & even murder that serve virtually no time and are out of prison for various reasons.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    They were old enough to know a home invasion was wrong when they did it.

They're old enough to be sentenced to an adult sentence.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Man I hated bailing hay. We didn't own any hay fields so we would follow the farmer out and pick bales while he processed. Never seemed to fail that the farmer would cut a deal with the parents for me to stay on and help him with the rest of the fields. They got a discount and I helped the family get a discount. Farmer never paid me.

I know of families that the kids were required to turn all that they earned over to the parents to help support the family. My how times have changed. I was the oldest child in the family and really can't remember not working. Started planting, pulling weeds in our LARGE truck patch, gathering eggs, etc. Was put to driving tractor raking hay, baling before I could reach the pedals... Sat me on the seat, Dad put it in gear & let out the clutch & and jumped off. I steered and if needed to stop jumped up, stood on the the clutch/ brakes & and wrapped my arms around the steering wheel holding on for deer life. Graduated to milking, other chores, baling, field work, etc. My Dad's partner died when I was 15. We took over his cows, chores, land and I basically started working full time while a high school freshman. No more sports, etc. Didn't like it at the time but resulted in where I am today. Am therefore thankful. Today would probably be child endangerment . In fact Fed Gov is trying to make illegal for "child" under 18 to operate machinery on family farm.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    They are bad actors, and deserve a stiff sentence for B&E, robbery, endangerment, whatever. Absolutely!

But they did not murder anyone, so don't charge them murder. This is another case pointing to the lack of applying personal responsibility.

I don't like things being called what they are not, no matter which direction that blade is cutting. Same as calling certain murders a "hate crime." Aren't just about all murders hateful in some fashion or another? Why treat one differently from another.

No one was murdered at this scene. A criminal was killed, and justifiably so. He was not murdered, either by the homeowner, or by his fellow criminals. My opinion.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Roll with me on this one.....Their decisions/actions as a group caused all this madness. It can be said they were complicit in the idiots death as they had all decided as a "Group" to do this deed.
    Now as a group...survivors....they need to pay heavily for all aspects of this deed including the death of their idiot in crime partner.
    If they had not "Chosen" to go there non of this would have happened.
    Again, a stiffening of penalty's in an attempt to curb the violence. All involved are charged when a death occurs in a violent crime. This fits the bill. Needles all around. I for one am way past caring why they are doing this, just with how to end it.

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    This is what happens when you break into someone's home with criminal intentions. Too bad he didn't shoot all of them.

Top Bottom