Elon Musk Becomes Twitter’s Largest Shareholder…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My small little hope, is that Musk's "free speech" push will finally call the question on publisher vs. platform for social media. Reading between the many lines, he is firmly in the "platform" camp. His decisions for Twitter may force the issue with Facebook and others.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If nothing else, this news is showing the cognitive dissonance of the leftist media. They're actually coming around to the idea that Twitter could be used to silence opposing viewpoints and be manipulated to advance a narrative.

They'll never accept that this is already happening with conservative viewpoints, but at least they're getting closer to seeing reality.

Nah. Not cognitive dissonance. They're ****ing scared that their weaponized social media may be used against them.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Using this post as a launch point for a question. Musk spends $43 billion to buy Twitter and it is a big deal on all sides of the political spectrum. Zuckerberg spends over $450 million to buy an election and hardly anyone says a peep. Why?

Where are all the memes of Zman buying an election?
    If Zman bought the election in favor of Trump there'd have been a dead Zman, I suspect.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I mean. It's almost like they flipped a switch or something. Or maybe they just did some git surgery to make the nefarious stuff disappear.

:tinfoil:
    From time to time we put programming in that we’d know they’d want it undone at a moment’s notice. Flip a bit and it’d be just like it was before. I got a feeling someone flipped a bit. ;)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This is the truest statement in this entire thread.

I'm not so sure he really has the best in mind and heart.

Just because he's an attention whore and says the right things at the right time doesn't mean he doesn't have a secret agenda.
    We'll see how this goes. I'm just wondering how this pulls in the timeline for getting to Mars.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    From time to time we put programming in that we’d know they’d want it undone at a moment’s notice. Flip a bit and it’d be just like it was before. I got a feeling someone flipped a bit. ;)
    Maybe. Using feature flags to enable flipping switches without having to do code moves is becoming a very popular tool, especially for continuous deployment strategies. You can flip switches for everything, individual users, groups of users, etcetera.

But if Musk really does put twitter code out on github in the open we'll know what all the flipable bits do. If it actually were code that might reveal some deep dark secrets that Twitter absolutely doesn't want anyone to know about, I think they'd want to just rip out those commits altogether as if they were never there.

But, I think you're right. It's like it happened right now.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I guess now we will see what Elon considers "free speech"
    Well, yes.

I love how all the idiots on the "left" freaking out about there being ANARCHY.
    Musk never said that.
    He hasn't said much, other than free speech.
    But, most people don't have a problem with things like limits on direct threats of violence (real violence, not disagreeable ideas)

So, we'll see.
    Who knows, maybe in 6 months everyone on the "right" will hate him.

Last edited:

Clayshoot07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2017
    North Central
    Well, yes.

I love how all the idiots on the "left" freaking out about there being ANARCHY.
    Musk never said that.
    He hasn't said much, other than free speech.
    But, most people don't have a problem with things like direct threats of violence (real violence, not disagreeable ideas)

So, we'll see.
    Who knows, maybe in 6 months everyone on the "right" will hate him.
    It's wild where we are as a nation. What happened to sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can't hurt me?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Maybe it's because what he was doing was preventing an election being stolen and it was an uncharacteristically good thing from him.

(I know, I don't expect you to believe that.)
    Wait. So you're suggesting that Zuckerberg put hundreds of millions to meddle in the election to save it from being stolen by Trump? I think that requires more assumptions than the alternative. What evidence do you have that Trump was actively trying to "steal" the election? Now. Granted, after Trump had already lost, Trump tried some ****. That has nothing to do with how the election was actually influenced by Zuckerberg's money.

If you want to argue that Zuckerberg acted to change the way elections are conducted by state and local election officials to ensure that Orange Man Bad wouldn't stay in office, yeah, I'd agree with you there.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Elon Musk; what a character. I would not be at all surprised if he has schemed a new way of monetizing this ownership. In fact, I'd be disappointed if he hadn't.

Further, while conservatives see this as positive news, rightfully, due to Twitter's obvious hard leftward slant, I do not anticipate a complete absence of editorial decisions. Mr. Musk isn't a conservative, is more libertarian, but has no problem adopting more liberal stances when they make sense to him.

Overall, I think he's a pragmatist more than an ideologue of any stripe. I think he genuinely believes in freedom of thought and communication to seek answers, but if anyone thinks he'll be overtly conservative, well, I highly doubt it. I also anticipate that he will not have any issue controlling content that he believes is genuinely (and actually) dangerous.
    I suspect that Twitter will actually turn a profit. One idea I'm sure Musk has thought about, if he stays with an advertising model, maybe don't chase advertisers away. :dunno:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My small little hope, is that Musk's "free speech" push will finally call the question on publisher vs. platform for social media. Reading between the many lines, he is firmly in the "platform" camp. His decisions for Twitter may force the issue with Facebook and others.
    Democrats already pushing the idea of section 230 reform to require platforms to...you know....

Top Bottom