• Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Congress to decide whether Super Congress could impose gun control

Gun owner registration … bans on semi-automatic firearms … adoption of a UN gun control treaty -- all of these issues could very well be decided over the next 24 hours.
    Both houses of Congress will be voting on a debt ceiling bill that establishes a legislative committee with TREMENDOUS powers. Fox News is calling this committee a SUPER CONGRESS, because its legislative proposals (which could include gun control provisions) CANNOT be filibustered or amended in the Senate or House.

To understand what a huge deal this is, consider that House Speaker John Boehner is able to keep a mountain of gun control bills from coming to the floor of the House. That’s the power of the Speaker.

And in the Senate, we have been able to kill much of the gun control agenda by filibustering legislation (that is, requiring the Majority Leader to get a supermajority or 60 votes in order to pass gun control).

The most recent example of this occurred earlier this year when we defeated a radical, anti-gun judicial nomination (Goodwin Liu) using the filibuster. The filibuster has been our saving grace in the Senate, but that could be tossed within the next 24 hours.

Regarding the debt ceiling compromise, here’s what one legislative analyst (inside a Republican office on Capitol Hill) had to say:

Right now, we have limited protection from the schemes of the left – even if they have some Republican support, we have a speaker who wouldn’t bring horrible bills to the floor, and we have the Senate filibuster.

Both of these are rendered moot by the Super committee. There is NO Senate filibuster on the product they report. The Speaker CANNOT stop a vote in the House….

[Hence], 22 liberal Republicans can join the Congressional Democrats and the President in: Closing the gun show “loophole,” banning semi-automatic weapons, creating a national handgun registration, or ordering state gun laws moot.

A super highway for gun control legislation? This is incredibly unconstitutional! We don’t elect a Congress, which can then turn around and elect a SUPER committee. We need to make sure this never lands on the President’s desk.

ACTION: Please email and call your Representative and Senators. Urge them to vote NO on establishing this SUPER CONGRESS with unconstitutional powers.

hoosierbulldog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Congress to decide whether Super Congress could impose gun control

ACTION: Please email and call your Representative and Senators. Urge them to vote NO on establishing this SUPER CONGRESS with unconstitutional powers.

Done. I got my email earlier today as well, so I just went through the process of contacting them via email. :patriot:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    It seems the House just passed it. :xmad:

129158403200956885.jpg

need4speed255

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Is anybody even seeing this discussed on the mainstream news channels? I know nothing about this other than what I read in another thread.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    The super congress is the next step to the dictatorship. It had to be done. The tyrants can't get the job done with this pesky system we have now. It reminds me of an acronym. BOHICA.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Opponents of debt ceiling hike to be barred from 'Super Congress'

Fiscal Conservatives Barred from Supercommittee

The debt ceiling deal will pass the Senate early this afternoon. No suspense there. But the vote will be worth watching for another reason: Three Republican Senate sources tell TWS that senators who vote against the deal will be ineligible to serve on the so-called “supercommittee” for deficit reduction that the legislation creates.

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    If I'm understanding this right, this is gettin real bad...real quick.

So these certain people can over-rule anything congress says? Is that the just of it?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    If I'm understanding this right, this is gettin real bad...real quick.

So these certain people can over-rule anything congress says? Is that the just of it?

The impression I got was that they, and only they, can make a given proposal (fiscal/budgeting ones specifically, but I don't know of any limit that forces that to be the only kinds of proposals) and Congress is not legally able to revise or edit it. They can vote it down, but they can't send it back to the other side or to any other committee to be revised or add their own amendments to it. It also cannot be filibustered.

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    The impression I got was that they, and only they, can make a given proposal (fiscal/budgeting ones specifically, but I don't know of any limit that forces that to be the only kinds of proposals) and Congress is not legally able to revise or edit it. They can vote it down, but they can't send it back to the other side or to any other committee to be revised or add their own amendments to it. It also cannot be filibustered.

I would think as long as it can be voted down, we won't have any problems.

Or am I just being naive about it? :dunno:

sentinelrepublic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Noblesville
    Ummmmmm...I was going to start saving money for next years vegetable garden......guess it's going to ammo, ammo, and more ammo. And then more! Anyone else feel sick to their stomachs?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I would think as long as it can be voted down, we won't have any problems.

Or am I just being naive about it? :dunno:

Well, right now Congress (the house, specifically) can make money bills. As I understand it, once this bill has been fully implemented the House won't be able to do that, only this little group of 12. So if we have a bunch of useless fiscally bankrupt morons running this group (which we will) we will be incapable of creating a balanced budget by demanding a particular Representative support another/write another bill that reduces our spending etc.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom