emergency plumbing input: new water heater- need to replace tomorrow.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Just had a plumber over to the house. He said for my wife and I, a tankless was a waste of money. Too much capacity for just the two of us. Also, come April of 2015, regulations are changing. All tank water heaters will be required to have heat pumps.....making them cost as much as tankless. I'm getting a new tank type heater before April then.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another wrench to throw into the works:

How about adding a water softener, even a small one, along with the new water heater?

I'm glad we have one, our water service is 21-22 GPG. Almost hard enough to chew.

The water softener brings it down to a much more manageable level...though I still end up with plenty of crud on my humidifier filters...

No space in the utility room. Plus to do it right she would need a pre-filter to remove excess iron. I already brought that up and she just wants to stay status quo as she doesnt plan on living there much longer. She is getting tired of maintaining that 4 acres 3 bedroom for just her.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Hmmm.... How do they hold up to torque? For instance a transition from shark bite to threaded adapter? Or a shark bite ball valve... Will I have to worry about the valve twisting on the pipe?

They work great. You can turn the pipe once its installed into the fitting. You can also remove/reuse them if you screw up.
    Home Depot has Sharkbite. Lowes has the Watts brand, which are larger and Menards has Nibco.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Just had a plumber over to the house. He said for my wife and I, a tankless was a waste of money. Too much capacity for just the two of us. Also, come April of 2015, regulations are changing. All tank water heaters will be required to have heat pumps.....making them cost as much as tankless. I'm getting a new tank type heater before April then.

Who is making these new rules?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Wrap-up:

I met her at Lowes and she bought herself a new water heater. She insisted on having their contractors do it "because I am too busy with my family to bother with it". I tried talking her out of it but she wasnt having it... Now I realize where I got my stubborn streak. :):

Thanks to all for your input.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wrap-up:

I met her at Lowes and bought her a new water heater. She insisted on having their contractors do it "because I am too busy with my family to bother with it". I tried talking her out of it but she wasnt having it... Now I realize where I got my stubborn streak. :):

Thanks to all for your input.

Good for her.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Appliances and Commercial Equipment Standards

Maybe he believes a tank water heater can't meet the new standards unless it's a heat pump style.

I know I am not very informed on this stuff. But reading that page was worse than reading an organic chemistry book.

What little I can discern is if you get an electric heater with a storage capacity of greater than 20 gallons and less than 55 gallons, your efficiency can go DOWN? (If energy factor is efficiency ... if not, I'm lost).

Others please help interpret.

Look at the bright side of having a contractor do it ... something screws up, THEY deal with the ramifications. (I insisted Lowe's install our dishwasher as we already had a water damage claim on the house when the AC drain hose plugged up. My sister got a new kitchen when her dw leaked (long, ugly story)).

you also get more time with the family. Or range time. Or both!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Some people don't have valves there? :nuts:

That's just being lazy and/or a cheapstake.

The whole neighborhood was outfitted in the fashionable mid-80s contractor grade. You know, where they'd study the regs to see what they could get away with. There was a cheap gate valve at the input, and you'd have to drain all the plumbing from above at the output.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom