• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I am thinking that an emergency radio is an oft forgotten piece of survival gear...or is it? Should the civilian grid go down, I want a way to still be able to receive any information on the situation, as well as instruction and information on the status of supply chain and expected return to "normal". Anyone else think this? What emergency radios do you OWN. Not what you think looks good or cool. But what do you own and trust your family's safety and information gathering to?

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I struggle with this. I am currently (leisurely) studying for the ham radio and I do have a GMRS license. From everything I can read and from the expert advice given on INGO, ham is the way to go. My concern are those close to me who would not be able to communicate with me on ham. I am thinking I will most likely do the ham route and still be able to communicate with those not on ham. (if I understand everything correctly)

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    At this point I OWN WeatherX FR1807. We've used it a couple of times during extended power outages. It works very well for what it is and the cost. I would like to include a crank type/solar, emergency radio, just in case.

WeatherX_1807.jpg

1SG USA Ret

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Pendleton
    There are radios that tx and rx on both gmrs and ham bands. Get your tech license and access the most popular ham band (2 meters) 144-148. A good deal for a GMRS 40 watt mobile is on R&L Electonics website, about $199. Alinco makes a 50 watt wide band for $371 but it is the bomb. Also check out Ebay.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am just thinking out loud here, having not looked into it in years. With a hand held 2 meter radio, isn't it really dependent on repeaters? What kind of distance would that be without clicking into a repeater? I never worked anything higher than 20 meters and that was through a full wave folded dipole antenna, not very portable

Tradesylver

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2024
    Brown County
    I am just thinking out loud here, having not looked into it in years. With a hand held 2 meter radio, isn't it really dependent on repeaters? What kind of distance would that be without clicking into a repeater? I never worked anything higher than 20 meters and that was through a full wave folded dipole antenna, not very portable
    With a HT on top of a hill it's pretty much line of sight. And most HT's might get 5 watts on the high power setting. 2 meter FM is highly dependent on repeaters for wide area coverage. You'd be better off with a mobile 6 meter FM rig with 25 to 100 watts for wide area coverage without using a repeater. But if you're interested in a 2 meter HT I might have one for sale. 73

Reactions: Leo

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I have a couple baofeng ham radios and I have two yeasu ham radios. I've been a ham radio operator for 14 years now.

If you check the link in my sig you will find all the info you need to get started studying for your ham lic. If anyone has questions about ham radio just let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Dont expect to put a radio in your go bag and expect to use it when the SHTF. There is a learning curve. And its pretty steep. I felt that firsthand. And I had been a ham for 3 or 4 years at that point.

I never bothered to learn the manual programming of my radio. I always use the PC cable and CHIRP. I took the two radios with me on vacation. (just the radios) While attempting to change something I accidentally wiped all configs from the radio. Having not bothered to learn the menus, I effectively bricked the radio because I couldnt get the configs to match. There is even a pic of me minutes afterward. Sitting on the beach with the radio in my hand looking ticked as hell, contemplating whether to chuck it into the water. The wife chuckles when she comes across that pic.

If you want that stash it and go feature, get a GMRS set. Channelized radios can do the go bag thing for comms within your party.

Also, more info here.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw

Been looking at this to use as a dedicated multiband receiver. Different versions are on Amazon. They are priced below $200. Lots of vids on YT.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Dont expect to put a radio in your go bag and expect to use it when the SHTF. There is a learning curve. And its pretty steep. I felt that firsthand. And I had been a ham for 3 or 4 years at that point.

I never bothered to learn the manual programming of my radio. I always use the PC cable and CHIRP. I took the two radios with me on vacation. (just the radios) While attempting to change something I accidentally wiped all configs from the radio. Having not bothered to learn the menus, I effectively bricked the radio because I couldnt get the configs to match. There is even a pic of me minutes afterward. Sitting on the beach with the radio in my hand looking ticked as hell, contemplating whether to chuck it into the water. The wife chuckles when she comes across that pic.

If you want that stash it and go feature, get a GMRS set. Channelized radios can do the go bag thing for comms within your party.

Also, more info here.

Please share this pic

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    There are radios that tx and rx on both gmrs and ham bands. Get your tech license and access the most popular ham band (2 meters) 144-148. A good deal for a GMRS 40 watt mobile is on R&L Electonics website, about $199. Alinco makes a 50 watt wide band for $371 but it is the bomb. Also check out Ebay.
    The 2m band in Indy is dead. You might once in awhile, hear someone on the repeaters during drive time, other than that, VHF is a waste of money here.

In Indy the Indy600 GMRS repeater seems to be a lot busier than amateur 2m systems. GMRS is limited to only 50w though, so the footprint isn't nearly as big.

I guess it's be good to have both licenses and make yourself familiar with operations on both.

Top Bottom