EMP could be here sooner than you think!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I truly do not know why the United States and its allies don't just wipe North Korea off the map. Send a message to the work that the United States is once again tough and if you threaten us we will poop in your cereal. But we know that wont happen while Barry is in control.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I truly do not know why the United States and its allies don't just wipe North Korea off the map. Send a message to the work that the United States is once again tough and if you threaten us we will poop in your cereal. But we know that wont happen while Barry is in control.

Cause China doesn't want fallout in their neighborhood. And. Conventional forces on their border make them nervous.

OZZY.40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Camby
    If there is a nuclear blast overhead I think the last thing you need to worry about is the EMP portion of it.

I disagree, an effective EMP weapon is diployed at a high altitude, roughly 200 miles up. The blast of the nuke may not even be noticed by people on the ground, if it happened during the day.

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0odJKYTzXg8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0odJKYTzXg8[/ame]

Anyone know the effects it would have on a four wheeler? I have looked but cant find no real evidence of what would happen.

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    Anyone know the effects it would have on a four wheeler? I have looked but cant find no real evidence of what would happen.

If its EFI or used an electric starter and solonoid or had any kind of electronic circuit board to control anything in it I beleive your screwed. If was just carburated, pull started, and with a manual clutch I'm pretty sure it would be fine. Not to sure about the stator if it has one. If it does then it should have a regulator which can be effected as well as the wiring harness. If its ran off a magneto like a lawnmower motor it would be fine. Just depends on how new your 4 wheeler is. If its a concern just get an old metal shed and turn it into a faraday cage and store it in there.

If Im wrong on anything please correct me.

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    If its EFI or used an electric starter and solonoid or had any kind of electronic circuit board to control anything in it I beleive your screwed. If was just carburated, pull started, and with a manual clutch I'm pretty sure it would be fine. Not to sure about the stator if it has one. If it does then it should have a regulator which can be effected as well as the wiring harness. If its ran off a magneto like a lawnmower motor it would be fine. Just depends on how new your 4 wheeler is. If its a concern just get an old metal shed and turn it into a faraday cage and store it in there.

If Im wrong on anything please correct me.

Thanks, thats pretty much what I was thinking, however it is stored in a metal shed. Maybe I should look into making a faraday cage, gonna go look into it.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I don't understand this. One guy that tested this stuff out tells you that we don't have to worry about it. Because if we are close enough for the pulse to work we have bigger problems because of the blast.

Then an other guy comes along and tells us that we need to prep for this because he has dun tests and we will be screwed. Nothing electric will work. We will have to replace all the electronics in our car or truck. So we need to stock spares.

I have been told that the computer for my truck is over $2000. That is a lot of money to just be sitting around for just in case.

One guy tells us as long as there is no charge in the system then every thing will be fine. So all you have to do is take the batteries out. No charge no harm.

I have no idea what to do. One guy will tell you that no one knows just what will happen because there are way to many variables. If I know that it is coming I will remove the batteries and hope for the best. If they don't let us know that it is going to happen then I will just be screwed like the rest.

I know that there is a guy in Ohio that is turning old cars back to the 1960s. He puts in a generator, carburetor and points. He claims that they will work after the pulse.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    If there is a nuclear blast overhead I think the last thing you need to worry about is the EMP portion of it.

Actually that is the ONLY thing you need to worry about. The EMP producing blast in in space and there will be no blast-wave, minimal radiation. If you were looking at it you probably will have your eyes damaged by the intensity of the light. Research says the best altitude for such a blast is about 400 km. This is a "safe" distance from the event with respect to the usual nuclear weapon effects. There is not even any fallout from such an event as there is no "earthbound" picked up by the explosion, contaminated, and spread through the atmosphere. The radioactive byproducts from the bomb itself will remain in space, most will move forever away from the earth since there is nothing in space to slow or stop the movement.

The EMP event, however, will be devastating on electrical and electronic equipment but harmless to people and animals. I'm a but dubious that it will render everything electrical or electronic inoperative but there will be significant and widespread damage. The greatest damage will occur do things connected to electric power distribution lines as these are effectively HUGE antennas that will pick up a massive dose of induced electricity. Think about what happens when a bolt of lightning hits a power line near your home. Even that "tiny" event can cause great damage to your home and anything connected to the power grid. This EMP event is orders of magnitude bigger than a lighting strike but hopefully you get the idea.

The danger is that we are so dependent on electric power for everything anymore.

The biggest question in my mind is does N. Korea have the technical prowess to launch a bomb (and theirs are plutonium implosion bombs like the Nagasaki "Fat Man" bomb) and then deliver it to an optimal location and altitude to produce the effect. Since the P-bombs N. Korea has are significantly less powerful than the H-bombs that the US, Russia, and China have, they will not be able to produce the kind of EMP event that would disable the entire US.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I don't understand this. One guy that tested this stuff out tells you that we don't have to worry about it. Because if we are close enough for the pulse to work we have bigger problems because of the blast.

Then an other guy comes along and tells us that we need to prep for this because he has dun tests and we will be screwed. Nothing electric will work. We will have to replace all the electronics in our car or truck. So we need to stock spares.

I have been told that the computer for my truck is over $2000. That is a lot of money to just be sitting around for just in case.

One guy tells us as long as there is no charge in the system then every thing will be fine. So all you have to do is take the batteries out. No charge no harm.

I have no idea what to do. One guy will tell you that no one knows just what will happen because there are way to many variables. If I know that it is coming I will remove the batteries and hope for the best. If they don't let us know that it is going to happen then I will just be screwed like the rest.

I know that there is a guy in Ohio that is turning old cars back to the 1960s. He puts in a generator, carburetor and points. He claims that they will work after the pulse.

Get a horse, a bicycle, or a 1950s era car. Then you will be able to go when others can't. But all things considered, driving won't be that high on anyone's priorities if the grid goes down (except for those with hide-outs).

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I would imagine the us would shoot the bomb down before it reached the us.

Ummmm, using what exactly? We have no missile defense system in place in the US.

We have the Patriot anti-missile missile system but that system (while appearing to be effective in Israel during the time when Iraq was lobbing slow, large, and low-altitude SCUD missiles their way. But most of these SCUDs broke up on their own before hitting their targets. The "hit" ratio for Patriots was not all that good. Israel has since developed and deployed an anti-missile system of their own that from the looks of it, it quite effective!

But there is no US defense system against an incoming nuclear ICBM from N. Korea or anywhere else. So from that viewpoint, we're sitting ducks!

Remember the focus all during the Cold War was "MAD" or Mutually Assured Destruction. NORAD was looking for a first-strike from the Soviet Union and in theory our missiles would be launched against them before they hit us and renendered us unable to respond. But that assumes a "rational" enemy. As bad as we might consider the Soviets, they were generally rational.

N. Korea's Kim Jong Un is clearly ANYTHING BUT rational. He seems to nutty that be actually believes his own propaganda!

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I read an article about north Korea's satellite launching test that said it looked like a test to put an emp weapon over the us.
    I read something similar. The press wrote off the test as unsuccessful because it had a low yield or whatever. Apparently that was indicative of a typical emp style nuke.

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Get a horse, a bicycle, or a 1950s era car. Then you will be able to go when others can't. But all things considered, driving won't be that high on anyone's priorities if the grid goes down (except for those with hide-outs).
    Many say most cars circa 1973 will survive an EMP blast but the fact is there is basically no history of this so we are all speculating. I do think a Bicycle is a great cheap idea though.

Top Bottom