• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    True, but a good running vehicle that's well defended can knock off 300 miles of your bug out too. Provided you have a full tank. Even then, you can siphon off cars in safe areas.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    If I would get an old late 70's ford truck like I want to. I'd do the same thing. Buy a spare dist, coil, ign module (if it has one) and whatever else might fry and try to keep them somewhere safe.

But what could I put these parts in to keep them protected?

Late 70's would still be electronic ignition, I think that most cars and gas powered trucks made after 1973 was being outfitted with electronic ignition.

So you'd need to buy an after market kit to retrofit it. Condenser, points and coil, the coil should be safe because it has not electronic device in it.

Alternators would fall victim because of diodes and would need a working old style model so not to fall victim.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Or you could just build an underground bunker to park your BOV with a faraday cage all around it and be done with it. :)

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    You wouldn't have to retrofit any car to survive an emp. From what I have been able to find from reliable sources (not you tube or wiki-anything) less than 10% of vehicles that are running during an emp event will have any ill-effects whatsoever. Only a tiny minority of these would be temporarily disabled (turn off the key and it'll start back up). Less than (I think it's) 5% of the vehicles affected would be permanently disabled.
    Why are our homes so vulnerable and our vehicles aren't? Because our homes are connected to the grid which is basically one huge antenna for collecting and amplifying emp waves, building surges of up to thousands of amps. Because these surges will be DC and out of phase with the AC in the wires it has the potential to cause transformers (out on the pole and at substations) to reach saturation, overheat and burn.
    Our cars have the advantage of not being grounded and not being connected to miles long antenna.
    Likewise, anything plugged in to the grid is vulnerable to the surges as well.
    Do some research so that you don't waste money or worry unneccessarily.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    18197Dead_Thread.jpg

*sigh*
    This should have been unsticked a long time ago.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a couple of older cars, both mid eighties BMWs and am wondering if the spare computers would be all that is needed to get these running in case of an EMP burst. If the computers are protected, then I should be able to get either car running by a computer swap. On these cars, the computer operates the fuel injection and ignition systems.

Or, would an EMP burst also fry each and every sensor in the car like air flow meters, timing pickups and other simple electronics?

Thanks,

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    An EMP would not hurt the Vehicles, or most electronics.

If you are close enough that an EMP takes out your equipment, that is the least of your worries. If you are close enough that EMP has destroyed your equipment then YOU ARE IN THE RADIATION ZONE.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I do feel better, but we still need to have spares.

nothing wrong with keeping spares in safe and secure areas.

My problem would be the grid destroying my well pump that is 230 feet underground.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I do feel better, but we still need to have spares.

nothing wrong with keeping spares in safe and secure areas.

My problem would be the grid destroying my well pump that is 230 feet underground.
    No worries, I've got an extra one sitting in my shed. Seriously.

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    ah men, what do worry about when the world is coming to an end....our cars :D

it was my impression from...quite a bit of reading.. is that the strength of the EMP grows over the length of a conductive surface ie. miles of cable, solenoids, microchips. cutting the power would be irrelevant in this case. this seems to be wrong though. still EMP's in reality have proven to be inconsistent in what they affect

but seriously, if we're nuked, or a major power detonates a nuclear weapon in the ionosphere causing nationwide EMP damage, driving is not going to help you, in all likely hood the sheep will be in their cars, if your on here i doubt your a sheep. immense traffic jams, rioting, probably no place to go, and if civilization has really taken a hit, then oil refining would stop, the gas would run out or go bad, diesel would last a good while but, the danger and difficulty of driving anything short of a Abrams would probably leave you best moving on foot/ or starting a community

Andyland

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    OK!
    It looks like you are worried about cars.
    Read an article on yahoo about a solar flare in 1857.
    They knew something had happened because it caused an emp pulse strong enough to start fires along railroad tracks and telegraph lines.
    Like a ripple in a pond.
    Think of the emp as a radio wave, like your old bunny ears used to pick up.
    That is how the faraday cage works, if it is grounded. It is an antenna that redirects the moving electrons down the wires into a ground. Otherwise the electrons are just going to shift with the wave. There are electrons in all of your gear, on or off, right now. The more modern the circuits, the smaller they are, and the closer the circuit lines. When the electrons shift with the wave, they will jump the circuit lines.

A solar flare of a magnatude that will start grass fires, will fry every satalite on that side of the planet, if the flare continues for days the other satalites will also get fried as they swing around.
    Power grids will be toast.
    Cell phones gone. Electricity gone. Communications gone. Refrigeration gone.
    Get some seeds people.

Andyland

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    Of course a large portion of the population will be eating each other.
    Imagine 300 million people with no infrastructure and a weeks worth of food in the cities!
    Any government report with anything in it that would upset you tinfoil hat people, never gets put on the net. There re a million things that will get you, that we will never see on TV. We should start a list.

Andyland

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    And the above cited test on the cars gives a Voltage, but did they list a frequency or amperage? Because an EMP will be a white noise burst across all frequencies. Certain electronic devices/insulation will work better, but the key will probably be the larger size of the circuits, like the old vacume tubes. I read about emp testing on B52's about 20 years ago, and they were worried about upgrading the electronics, where the original design could withstand almost anything.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    if you have a bug out vehicle, you can properly protect it. disconnect the battery and make sure the circuit (car) is grounded. there are plenty of ways to simply shield deviced from EMP strikes. heres another way,,,,, buy a surplus humvee. they are shielded.

keep in mind that travel is not going to be easily attained in a SHTF scenario. EMP or not. lanes will be blocked. also there will likely be road blocks by: police, military, looters, gangs, towns, etc. If you are driving or walking around and no one else is, you will be a target and probly die, or be robbed.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom