• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elwoodward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Washington Co.
    When I wrote it I figured someone would take issue. I wasn't firm in the belief but left it there for discussion. Good points Bill. The reason I backed away from private transfer services is that they don't tend to be summoned to private homes. I guess they could be now that I think about it. The OP asked about EMTs as "first responders" which an EMT as a private service is not. They are a medical taxi service. I likened that to any other delivery service personnel and as such we shouldn't push for that at this point.

Now, if I call Rural Metro as a private citizen to drive me somewhere, I can see how that is outside what I was intending because I'd be summoning them to some location.
    Many private services contract out their service to 911 and even if there is a 911 EMS and private ambulance service if the 911 service is busy their runs will be transferred to the next available service/ambulance.

Also what if a tornado went through Seymour and all the Jackson county ems ambulances were busy? they would call for mutual aid from as many ambulance services they can get. The point i am getting to is looting could start within hours of the disaster and what if the ambulance was to pull up to a house hear screaming and a group of guys with a gun carrying a safe out of a house across the street decides there is my get away vehicle or they carry drugs in their lets get them. I want to be able to protect myself if i work for a EMS or non-emergency ambulance service.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Many private services contract out their service to 911 and even if there is a 911 EMS and private ambulance service if the 911 service is busy their runs will be transferred to the next available service/ambulance.

dang it, I wrote a nice response and it didn't save. Here's the quick repost.

If a crew rolls over to active 911 service they are no-longer non-emergent. I am not discussing whether they should be able to carry on their job, I'm discussing whether they should be granted exemptions on par with police officers when doing non-emergent duties.

Yes, I know it's tricky because duties can change during their shift, just like mine do when I have my kids. Since we have restrictions on who can carry and where (which I advocate the removal of), we have to discuss these in between things. Should a public utility worker be granted exemptions because he walks property alone?

Your example of the tornado is a crew showing up to a private home, not a place where police can carry and a citizen cannot. I am in favor of people being able to carry on their jobs, but not a pick and choose granting of the same carry options as a police officer until the law is changed for the masses.

Last edited:

Firefighterzac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    just to throw something out there. Thoses private transfer services also have trucks that are assigned 911 distrects were they imcounter the gerneral public. ex. Rural/Metro in Clark county and Yellow EMS in Floyd county. Yes they do transfers, (chucks), just the same there are units within these "medical taxie scervices" that are dedicated to 911 calls.
    And on par with Hoosierdoc there has been countless times I have droped "grandmaw" of for a doctor apt. just to be dispatched directly to a mvc, mental subject, overdose, ect.
    I will say I would have felt saffer going in Henryville after the tornados if i had been armed. But that is a diffrent story for a diffrent time.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I would rather see perhaps a shotgun in a lockbox on the rig. Accessable to all fireman or medical personel on the scene, and only to be used in a last ditch effort. Chances are it would never be pulled out, but it would be a tool on the truck that could be used just the same if it were needed.

The article is flawed in that it compares the firefighters to police. We have differant natures of runs, travel in packs of 4 people, and have a completely differant niche in the community service area. while i agree with ALL of his reasoning, i dont think using police training as a comparision is fair, because by his standard, no civilian should carry either.

Top Bottom