• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Okay, so I have been thinking over the past couple of months and have always wanted to help people as a job. I understand the job is rewarding at times and heart breaking at others, but have decided to look into becoming an EMT and then after a couple of years going to school to become a paramedic. What schools would everyone consider going to and not going to? I know everyone is different, but I want to have numerous options to look into and, if there is a large concensus, places to avoid. Thanks for any help you can give. currently I'm considering Central Nine for EMT and Vincennes University for Paramedic.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I have been a paramedic in the Indy system for 10yrs now. I teach, and proctor the new medics in the national registry for their certification. I have proctored for ST V, IUPUI, Methodist, Community, St. Francis. I have all of the following students in the back of my ambulance (when I was on one) at one time or another and I have worked side by side with all of these alumni medics also.

By far hands down Community East has the best program going in the Indy area. I graduated from IU, so I'm not being biased. Their tuition is far, and if you go through them as an EMT, you have a great chance getting into their medic program. PM me for more details.... I might know people ;)

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Earlier in my life, I was a volunteer firefighter for a township up here. I was 2nd class firefighter certified and first responder certified. For a while I was looking into going further and looked into Ivy Tech. Good program, state supported .

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    We have been getting a lot of students from the accelerated program through Pelham. I think its a 6 month medic program. If that doent fit your schedule then look into Community, St V's or IEMS for your medic program.

Mokkie

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    When I became a EMT way back in 1987 they did not have very many schools to offer the EMT classes. I was in classes with a primary instructor thru a local hospital.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    We have been getting a lot of students from the accelerated program through Pelham. I think its a 6 month medic program. If that doent fit your schedule then look into Community, St V's or IEMS for your medic program.

I took the accelerated EMT-B class back when it was still EMT-Inc in Bloomington. It was 14 days straight (no weekends off) for 12 hours each day. The final day was the practicals and I think the national registry test. A week later we took the state test. Id rather do that then spread it out over 6 months or whatever it is 2 nights a week. Cost was $650 when I took it.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I took the accelerated EMT-B class back when it was still EMT-Inc in Bloomington. It was 14 days straight (no weekends off) for 12 hours each day. The final day was the practicals and I think the national registry test. A week later we took the state test. Id rather do that then spread it out over 6 months or whatever it is 2 nights a week. Cost was $650 when I took it.

I highly recommend EMT Inc. in Bloomington, I know the owners personally, great folks, and very seasoned in medicine!

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I looked into the Pelham one after the good reviews from a few of you guys, and I like how it's run. However, my main concern is can you really cover everything you should know in 14 days? I've seen classes running anywhere from the 14 day course to a year. I'm leaning towards the 6 month to 1 year range just because I don't feel something like that should be learned over the course of 2 weeks and that's it.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I looked into the Pelham one after the good reviews from a few of you guys, and I like how it's run. However, my main concern is can you really cover everything you should know in 14 days? I've seen classes running anywhere from the 14 day course to a year. I'm leaning towards the 6 month to 1 year range just because I don't feel something like that should be learned over the course of 2 weeks and that's it.

I think the accelerated classes are good. It is a lot of information in a short period of time, but when you take your tests, everything is still fresh in your head. I took a first responder class when I was in college and it was spread out over a few months time. By the time we took the test, we really had to think back. My choice between the two is the accelerated.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I looked into the Pelham one after the good reviews from a few of you guys, and I like how it's run. However, my main concern is can you really cover everything you should know in 14 days?

I have seen complete failures come from Pelham. I'm not saying it's a bad program, because they were able to get their certification. But when it came to actually understanding and doing the job they were about as far away as someone just starting an EMT-B class.

I would recommend taking the 6 month classes. Also, look into what the class schedule and offerings look like. Find a class that will offer more then just sitting down and watching power-points.

Our program, through St Elizabeth Hospital here in Lafayette, offers extrication demonstrations/hands on with a volunteer fire department and a StatFlight (PHI) landing zone class and demonstration.

We also require the EMT-B students to do a minimum of 24 hours on our ambulance service and 24 hours within St Elizabeth ERs with the option of doing 48hrs of each if they wish.

We also make sure the students acquire their Austim, Weapons of Mass destruction, and NIMS certifications prior to class completion.

Top Bottom