• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Good post bug102, that is the equipment I have seen.

True steam pushes through by itself and there are condensate water traps catching liquid and returning under low pressure.

Hot water heat stays liquid and is pushed around by a amazingly small electric pump.

I have seen where remains of a stand alone boiler house that would sell steam to maybe a 1/2 dozen multi story apartment buildings or a number of commercial buildings. That kept the mess from the coal, ash and fire out of the buildings. It was like a small scale public utility. That was the solution in the late 1800's to early 1900's. Last one I know about still standing is on the Purdue Campus. They are very expensive to tear down because of the asbestos and lead.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Good post bug102, that is the equipment I have seen.

True steam pushes through by itself and there are condensate water traps catching liquid and returning under low pressure.

Hot water heat stays liquid and is pushed around by a amazingly small electric pump.

I have seen where remains of a stand alone boiler house that would sell steam to maybe a 1/2 dozen multi story apartment buildings or a number of commercial buildings. That kept the mess from the coal, ash and fire out of the buildings. It was like a small scale public utility. That was the solution in the late 1800's to early 1900's. Last one I know about still standing is on the Purdue Campus. They are very expensive to tear down because of the asbestos and lead.
    When I was a kid, my Dad's brother owned a brownstone between 2nd and 3rd avenue on E 70th. He served as his own super and lived in the building so I got to poke into all sorts of areas that I ordinarily would not

Reactions: Leo
    Top Bottom