• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tims87gn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Floyds Knobs
    I bought this Enfield No4 Mk1 last week on a purely sentimental impulse. I had one about 15 yrs ago and thought it would be nice to have one again. What can I say, I'm a history buff and Milsurp junkie! Its a 1942 manufacture. Can anyone provide info on the "XU" stamp on the breach? I can't find any info on this mark so far on the web. Thanks.

IMG_1671_zps768e7bc0.jpg

IMG_1681_zpsb22045a0.jpg

IMG_1683_zps9683c205.jpg

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Congrats! That's a fine looking war rifle, I have the same model and they shot great!! They are quite accurate as well, we were shooting it out to 500 yards with good results. Such a smooth action too, and magazine fed. They are superb bolt actions, and my favorite out of the WW2 selections so far. Bolt wise anyways. :D

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    The No.4 Mk1 is a great long range rifle. I had a really nice example a number of years ago and got to shoot it on a 1000 yd range. Had no idea it would shoot like that, but I had done all of the standard match mods to it beforehand.

green55

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Marion County
    By the style of date stampings on the wrist, that looks like it may be Savage manufacture? Am I right or is it British/Canadian? Either way, it looks like a great, battle-hardened rifle! Nice pick up.

That stamp on the back of the receiver looks like Cyrillic characters oddly enough. Russian capture stamp? I don't know if that's historically a possibility, but that would be my guess!

Tims87gn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Floyds Knobs
    I'm waiting on a book to come in tomorrow that is about the Enfields. Its my hope that it will help me identify this one. I'm really interested in deciphering the breach code. I'm looking forward to putting a few rounds through it in a few weeks when it starts warming up some. I really enjoined the one I had years back. Still have left over rounds from that time too!

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    I have two--.303s,and a "Ishy",.308-----------lots of fun-------a few years ago a friend gave me some OLD 303 ammo------stinky stuff--broke one down--cordite powder sticks---shot up some collector ammo---oh well,it went bang(most of it),and punched holes in the target.

tallend

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Tims87gn,

According to Vol 2 of Lee Enfield No. 4 and No. 5 Rifles by C Stratton it is possible the "X" which looks like it also appears before the serial # was used on No 4 Mk II rifles from BSA for an Irish Contract. These were known as "Irish Contract" rifles but they were never delivered due to political issues.

The "U" could mean "Unproofed" but this is less certain. This according to The Lee-Enfield by I Skennerton.

I didn't find anything specific for the XU. My initial thought on seeing the X for Irish Contract could have meant the U was Ulster, but since these never went I am probably wrong.

Can you get a picture of the other markings on the rifle?

Regards,

Doug

Tims87gn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Floyds Knobs
    Thanks Libertarian01. Yes, that is an X before the serial number on band. Thats more info than I've been able to get so far. Not sure what other marks there are since my stock was sanded and refinished prior to me getting it. Any cartouches are gone. Let me know of any metal stampings and I'll post them for you. Thanks for your help! Tim:ingo:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom