English Language-Stuff that drives me nuts.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CtWest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Here
    Alright, I'm going to list the common mistakes I see far too much. I hope everyone that makes these mistakes can take this as a educational moment :):

Your vs You're

Your is showing possession
    I.e. This is your gun.

You're is a conjunction of you are.
    I.e. You're being a smarta$$ and I don't appreciate your tone. (See what I did there?)

A lot
    -A lot is messed up a lot. It is two words not one. Alot is incorrect and your computer should catch it. If not consider this a lesson to you.

Those are the main two. Also some minor ones I have seen include but are not limited to:

To vs Too Are vs Our (This should be easy!!) Correct usage of Me vs I

I'm sure others can add more. And I encourage it!! Let's see what everyone can think of! Ready? Set. Go!

:cowbell:

Last edited:

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Alright, I'm going to list the common mistakes I see far too much. I hope everyone that makes these mistakes can take this as a educational moment :):

Your vs You're

Your is showing possession
    I.e. This is your gun.

You're is a conjunction of you are.
    I.e. You're being a smarta$$ and I don't appreciate your tone. (See what I did there?)

A lot
    -A lot is messed up a lot. It is two words not one. Alot is incorrect and your computer should catch it. If not consider this a lesson to you.

Those are the main two. Also some minor ones I have seen include but are not limited to:

To vs Too Are vs Our (This should be easy!!) Correct usage of Me vs I

I'm sure others can add more. And I encourage it!! Let's see what everyone can think of! Ready? Set. Go!

:cowbell:

First I love your picture.

One my main complaints is when I ask in a professional manner "where do you live", I get "over ther". Does over there have an address?

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    There, their, and they're; though they all start with "the," they're not interchangeable.

The phrase "very unique" is redundant. The definition of "unique" means "one of a kind." So, "very unique" means "very one of a kind." Got that one at the Department of Redundancy Department.

"It's" is a contraction of "it is," while "its" is possessive.

And never start a sentence with "and." ;)

Then there's the whole punctuation thing:
    "Let's eat grandpa!"
    or
    "Let's eat, grandpa!"
    Punctuation saves lives! :D

Now, since this is INGO, a shooting story:

A panda walks into a café. He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and proceeds to fire it at the other patrons.

"Why?" asks the confused, surviving waiter amidst the carnage.

The panda pauses on his way out, produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual, and tosses it over his shoulder.

"Well, I'm a panda," he says at the door. "Look it up."

The waiter turns to the relevant entry and, sure enough, finds an explanation:

"Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves."

:joke:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    A and an is one of the most simple, yet over-looked, grammatikalz.

Grammar_Natzee_2_by_dinyctis.jpg

lol I'm a grammar nazi, but since using a touch screen device, I can tolerate more.

That screensaver is full of win :)

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    " I hope everyone that makes these mistakes can take this as a educational moment :):"
    I believe it should be " AN educational moment":dunno:
    Too much cow bell

I hate it when people say they are gonna sale something. :n00b:It's SELL! Bring and take as well.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    People who say supposebly rather than supposedly.
    Modern contractions, such as Ima (Ima let you finish...), gimme (Gimme that paper...)
    Irregardless in place of regardless.

Pretty much anything written by any under 25 year old female who considers herself "hip" or "Urban". My friends’ 22 year old daughters’ facebook statuses send me into near rage anytime I try deciphering them.

CtWest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Here
    This thread is literally the worst thread of all time. I literally want to blow my own brains out after reading this thread. The OP should literally never post another thread again.

Here's an idea, don't read it!! No one forced you into this thread. And this is meant for a rant of stuff that drives people nuts. Some people understand that, clearly some do not.
    You did, however, catch a mistake therefore rep coming your way this evening.

CtWest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Here
    We were talking about annoyances in the English language.......Hence me using the word "literally" three times......To show that I hate people who overuse the word "literally".

It was all in good fun.;)

Aagghhh I see what you did there, I see it sir. Well played.

Top Bottom