English Language-Stuff that drives me nuts.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Aarrrgh !!!

For sell. / He attacked her viscously. / I am reticent to state the awful facts. / The joy was almost to much to bare. / Do you have your Indiana drivers license with you; may I see them? (! !) Et al. Consider a new rule for INGUN posting: if the poster has not yet mastered the use of the cursive form of writing, then there will be no posts on INGUN that are not filtered and/or edited by a literate Mod.

Last edited:

HD_darla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    I aint got none idear of what yall flappin yer jaws bout i aint never seen nothin on no internet wheres people is supposedly usin unproper gramer an such. :D

CtWest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Here
    I aint got none idear of what yall flappin yer jaws bout i aint never seen nothin on no internet wheres people is supposedly usin unproper gramer an such. :D

I literally just laughed out loud and got a few awkward looks at work! Haha

williamsjr22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Kroger and Meijer

My wife's family always calls them Krogers and Meijers. Maybe it's becasue we are from the southside.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Kroger and Meijer

My wife's family always calls them Krogers and Meijers. Maybe it's becasue we are from the southside.

A very good friend of mine says things like "I'm going Walmarts this afternoon." Making something plural for no apparent reason annoys me greatly, though we're still friends after all these years.

BTW, the U.P. of Michigan has quite a large Finnish influence over the years. Apparently, the preposition "to" was lost in translation. Funny thing is, that doesn't bother me, as it's what I grew up with. Read more about the Yooper dialect.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    That is what we get for making words with more than one meaning depending on the sentence its placed in. Sounds like pure lingual laziness to me. Since this is the case, I could care less in what way anyone uses "your/there" blah blah blah....Especially on the internet of all places.

(Yes I am aware of my poor grammar as well.) :)

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    A very good friend of mine says things like "I'm going Walmarts this afternoon." Making something plural for no apparent reason annoys me greatly, though we're still friends after all these years.

Its THE Walmarts. ever body nows thats.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    How about pronunciations?

Why is it Des Moines (dee-MOIN), Iowa, but Des Plaines (dess-PLAINS), Illinois?

Or Versailles (vair-SIGH), France, but Versailles (ver-SAILS), Indiana?

Or, even, Nashville (NASH-vull), Tennessee, but Nashville (NASH-vill), Indiana?

Top Bottom