• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I had a great time this morning. I saw a few squirrels, but couldn't get in position that I liked for the shot (couldn't see enough downrange, in case of a miss.) Finally found a location I liked and managed to get a decent grey mad. I grunted at her just as she started down the tree. She just sat there barking at me. One round, head shot. About 35 yards.

Using my dad's old Marlin 39 with a 4x scope. Shooting CCI SubSonic hollow point. Accurate round, but nice and quiet.

Didn't see any more squirrels, just 10 chipmunks. This was the hardest squirrel I can remember skinning. Usually you can cut around at about the belt level and "take of the jacket" with your foot on the tail. The skin would just not come off. I had to slowly cut back the skin. Got it done pretty clean, but that was a lot of work for a single squirrel. :)

I watched two birds do some singing and dancing about 50 feet up a tree. It was entertaining. The closest I could find is this: Northern Flicker - Whatbird.com But I thought the tail was more brown/red. That call on that page sounds about right. The red might have been from the rising sun.

Very nice morning.

Top Bottom