• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I have thought about buying a motorcycle for well over a year now. Since day one, a Harley is what I have wanted to bring home. A few months ago, I really started doing my homework about which bike to get, and after talking with several folks that had ridden for years, I decided to go a different route. I ended up buying a 2009 Honda Shadow Aero. I figure I can learn on this bike, and if I make a rookie mistake, it's going to be on a Honda and not a higher-end Harley. It's also an inexpensive way to see if the motorcycle world is something I will stick with. If everything goes to plan, I'll ride this for a year or so and learn the ropes, then think about investing in a Harley.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I have thought about buying a motorcycle for well over a year now. Since day one, a Harley is what I have wanted to bring home. A few months ago, I really started doing my homework about which bike to get, and after talking with several folks that had ridden for years, I decided to go a different route. I ended up buying a 2009 Honda Shadow Aero. I figure I can learn on this bike, and if I make a rookie mistake, it's going to be on a Honda and not a higher-end Harley. It's also an inexpensive way to see if the motorcycle world is something I will stick with. If everything goes to plan, I'll ride this for a year or so and learn the ropes, then think about investing in a Harley.

You already have the Harley attitude. Harley's are not higher end they just cost twice as much.

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    As far as ride and reliability you have have the higher end of the two manufactures. Good choice, nice looking bike.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    You already have the Harley attitude. Harley's are not higher end they just cost twice as much.
    Says everyone that doesn't own one.. While I won't debate quality, I will say the aftermarket support for hd far surpasses any other brand closely followed by goldwings.. Deale support and available parts also play into value as well..

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Btw

Op nice bike.. No shame in what you got there... Ride it and enjoy!!! When you get some experience under your belt, trade up for whatever tickles your fancy.. No opinions matter more than your own, except your spouse.. That matters more than anything!!!! :ingo:

Last edited:

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Says everyone that doesn't own one.. While I won't debate quality, I will say the aftermarket support for hd far surpasses any other brand closely followed by goldwings.. Deale support and available parts also play into value as well..

Your right I don't own one and I never will. I enjoy my Victory and Hondas to much to even consider most of the old over priced technology that Harley uses.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Your right I don't own one and I never will. I enjoy my Victory and Hondas to much to even consider most of the old over priced technology that Harley uses.
    I got no hate for any 2-wheeler except for boozer cruisers!! Ride on bro!! You meet the nicest people on a Honda.!!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Great bike, Dr. Midnight. I've owned a couple of Hondas and two Kawasakis. My dream bike has always been the Harley. Some will attempt to talk you out of it, but I've never met anyone who really KNEW bikes try to talk a guy out of any particular bike. Arguably, the best ride on the road is the Gold Wing, but I would put the Road Glide next in line. I'm sure the debate will continue in this thread, but just enjoy the ride and keep your dream alive.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Have fun!!!!! :yesway:

A couple of quick notes....
    WATCH OUT for potholes in the road and *******s talking or texting both seem to be horrible this year.
    Keep your tires aired properly, much more important for your handling than in a car.

JAH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Brand doesn't matter. I own HD ride with others who do not. I even like sport and dirt bikes. The ABATE course does!

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Nice looking machine! You mentioned getting a H-D down the road but I don't see anything wrong with this bike. I'm a Harley guy myself (just bought an '07 Street Glide :rockwoot:) and they makes a quality piece, IMHO but don't cut yourself or bike short. Main thing is to have fun!

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Says everyone that doesn't own one....

But working on them for a living gives you a pretty clear understanding of the quality of the materials used. Harley's, no matter what HD riders say, are NOT "highend" bikes. In fact most of the machine isn't even made in the US any more. HD assembled in the US with parts made in Mexico and Canada using an Italian F.I. system. I'm not saying they aren't good bikes, but they most certainly are not better than anything else. If anything they are just a notch below the Japanese and few notches below the European bikes. Sorry but facts is facts.

^^ That made me laugh. High priced tech, in an HD? NO sorry. You are paying for a NAME and NOTHING else. Your Honda and Victory are far superior machines tech wise. Not to mention R&D wise.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Nice bike. I bought a 07 Road Glide last fall and have to admit I didnt think a bike would handle that well. My bike before that was a 00 1500 Intruder. The Lazy Boy of bikes. Buy a Battery Tender. Take the class. Dont skimp on equipment. Dont wear shorts and white tube socks. Try to wear a helmet most the time. I hate them at times but they will save you. Watch other people!!! Your gonna love that Honda.

Top Bottom