Enter At Your Own Risk: Police Union Says ‘War-Like’ Detroit Is Unsafe For Visit

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Lived outside Detroit for a couple of years, I generally stayed out of the city and when I did go it was generally with more than one gun.

The Chairman of the Michigan Repub's driver was carjacked immediately after dropping him off at an event I was at at the Detroit Opera House. Fortunately the driver was able to convince the junkie-with-a-gun that he could get rock quicker with 40 bucks than with the Cadillac.

Also did some poll watching as part of Michigan's strange election process in the ghetto down by MLK and Rosa Parks. It was an interesting experience to say the least. 2 out of every 3 houses was burnt out in most of the neighborhoods and one polling location was in a half-burnt out building still serving as a school.

The Union does have a point, there is no way that DPD could keep much of anybody safe back then, much less now. That said, Detroit has been so utterly messed up for a long time that this is far from a new situation.

There is a reason that as soon as MI went shall issue, Detroit immediately led the nation in justifiable homicides.

Best,

Joe

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    Honestly, I've never been to Detroit...and never thought much about it nor would I have guessed that it was this bad. This thread has made me do some google-fu-ing and WOW..cannot believe what I am seeing.

Total destruction. Not sure if I'd rather stay in Detroit or Chicago.....

David202

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    They re-elect the same (D) corrupt leaders over and over again !

It's the definition of insanity.

Kwame? Corrupt? Never. :rolleyes:

Detroit has gotten really bad. Though that does depend on where you go, downtown is okay. Just getting there can be a bit of a problem, it is basically surrounded by less than ideal areas.

David202

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Photos: The Ruins of Detroit – - PlogPlog Photo Blog

Some of these pictures are destruction within the last 5-10 years.

Here's the original series of pictures with a few showing destruction within just a couple of years.

Yves Marchand & Romain Meffre Photography - The Ruins of Detroit

These are some awesome (yet sad) pictures. It just shows how far Detroit has gone. Hopefully some of these buildings can be restored instead of simply sitting empty and then being torn down, but that doesn't seem very likely.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    Anythings possible, but the fact that it's the union asking for it immediately makes it suspect. I don't think DPD can ever afford the type of compensation necessary to get "decent hardworking people". Who's going to go work for a starting salary of 30,000.00? topping out at 57K. For that money all you are going to get are the uneducated who don't have any other skills and happen to notice that the police department is hiring. And for a chance to work for DPD you get to shell out 62.00 for the written test and 45.00 to take the physical agility test. You do get a uniform allowance of 250.00 dollars though. Not sure how many actually use it there as some of the sloppiest looking cops I have ever seen besides NYC have been Detroit. That's one good thing about the LEO's I have seen around here is they appear to take pride in their appearance. I haven't seen any sloppy looking or ill-fitting uniforms.

250 is like two complete sets of uniforms for a whole year. Have you checked the prices of uniforms lately for p.o.'s? Ill defer to you either way as Ive never been to Detroit but with their pay I bet most officers just try to keep uniforms that arent ripped or worn through

What's the going rate for an entire residential city block in Detroit?

I was perusing a site a couple days ago and came across a 3 bed 2 bath for 850.00 in need of work of course but what a deal lol(yes 850.00 is right)

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    250 is like two complete sets of uniforms for a whole year. Have you checked the prices of uniforms lately for p.o.'s? Ill defer to you either way as Ive never been to Detroit but with their pay I bet most officers just try to keep uniforms that arent ripped or worn through
    QUOTE]

I was inferring that 250.00 dollars isn't very much. Regardless, if you've ever worn a uniform of any kind, by your appearance you are representing yourself and the agency/City-State/country that you work for. A little wear and tear is one thing but wearing clothing that looks sloppy and ill fitting is another. Many I have seen look like they were given an initial issue that was the wrong size but just wore it anyway. This happens quite often with our trainees and we have to take them back to CIF to get it fixed, but we cared enough to fix it. Their appearance reflected on us.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom